Australia v India - pre series discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Not surprisingly Warner's offer to make a comeback as a test opener hasn't gone down well.

I wouldn't mind seeing him return myself, it would be hilarious watching him fail and it would keep him away from commentating.

I was thinking this but sooner or later Aus need to blood some younger batsmen. Imo Warner returning is just delaying the inevitable. Uzzie is 37 too, he won't have long left.

I don't think Konstas is any worse of an option than the other 3, the question needs to be is picking him going to potentially hinder his development though in the long run. It is a hell of a gamble, the step up to test level is huge. The step up to facing Bumrah with a new ball is just asking for trouble.

Also think people are being a bit too harsh on Smith, yes he is definitely nearing the end but slightly premature to call him completely cooked. Unbeaten 90* to almost lead us to a win 5 test innings ago. A lean summer and questions need to be asked but i am not writing him off just yet.

Konstas got out repeatedly during the u19 world cup to balls swinging back through the gate, obviously he seems to slightly improved that but I suspect Bumrah would make absolute mince meat of stumps and pads. Probably will do the same to any other alternatives too though to be fair.

Last edited:
Konstas got out repeatedly during the u19 world cup to balls swinging back through the gate, obviously he seems to slightly improved that but I suspect Bumrah would make absolute mince meat of stumps and pads. Probably will do the same to any other alternatives too though to be fair.

At least at 19 he’d learn. We know what Harris/Bancroft/Renshaw are and it’s being poor to below average on a good day. Bancroft at least won’t drop catches like Harris would

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Few more rounds for Konstas to make his case, continue his good form and I wouldn’t be against it. Reckon the A match will have a big say

That I do agree with probably needs a score in the A game then let’s see. I’d probably pick him myself. It’s either him or Inglis and we’d be shuffling around half the top 6 to play Inglis not saying we can’t it’s just that in general we rarely do

That I do agree with probably needs a score in the A game then let’s see. I’d probably pick him myself. It’s either him or Inglis and we’d be shuffling around half the top 6 to play Inglis not saying we can’t it’s just that in general we rarely do
Can’t see how Inglis gets in, I’m not as much on the Head to open bandwagon as I was 12 months ago. Really for Inglis to come in it needs to be in the middle order.

I’d pick Konstas too.

I'm the opposite, India have looked horrible last 6 months, I think Australia win 5-0.

They’ve only played 3 matches - admittedly one of them they were bowled out for 46 in, so fair play, but they did bounce back and make 400+ in the second dig.

The other two they had a shaky start against Bangladesh then smacked them around, rolled them cheaply, went to town in the second innings with a couple of centuries and won by nearly 300 runs. The other test they won basically in 2 days against them after rain all but washed out the first 3.

They aren’t faultless by any means but they have a lot of weapons. If the West Indies are sneaking a test here - and remember it was only Travis Head’s knock in Adelaide that put a gap in that match - I’m sure India can at some point with 5 goes at it.

Can’t see how Inglis gets in, I’m not as much on the Head to open bandwagon as I was 12 months ago. Really for Inglis to come in it needs to be in the middle order.

I’d pick Konstas too.

Even though I’m not in this camp could just shift Marnus up if Inglis comes in. Smith at 3, Inglis 4, Head 5, Marsh 6. Carey 7. Whatever middle form you want, but you could do that. Would they do this, highly doubt it against the best or at least top 2 bowling attack in the world in India.

Tbf Art, Inglis is in great knick so its a decent shout.

He carried WA this match.
Broken clocks and all that.
Just today 'we're desperate for a leg spinner' apparently.

Like are we? We still have 2-3 years of Lyon left and have a good understudy with Murphy.

Even though I’m not in this camp could just shift Marnus up if Inglis comes in. Smith at 3, Inglis 4, Head 5, Marsh 6. Carey 7. Whatever middle form you want, but you could do that. Would they do this, highly doubt it against the best or at least top 2 bowling attack in the world in India.
My concern is, will you get the same amount runs out of Inglis as Labs? I know it’s more complicated, but if Labs struggles as an opener then Inglis really needs to make runs. I don’t mind it, don’t love it.

My concern is, will you get the same amount runs out of Inglis as Labs? I know it’s more complicated, but if Labs struggles as an opener then Inglis really needs to make runs. I don’t mind it, don’t love it.

I’m in your camp too and it’s robbing Peter to pay Paul moving him. You could make a case that unless Marsh is bowling (and he hasn’t for ages really) then play Inglis for Marsh. Marsh has been terrible for a while with the bat.

Head moving up is a big no no. He’s a perfect 5. I’d not complicate it and put Konstas in personally

I’d pick Konstas too.

Head stays where he is imo, I'd pick Konstas too. He's green of course but he's made runs this year, would really rather us pick an actual opener.

I worry about his techinique against Bumrah. Bumrah will eat him for breakfast with the new ball.

Maybe but the average trio in Harris, Renshaw and Bancroft would be just as bad. Least the kid will learn. These three are 30 years olds who won’t improve.

I worry about his techinique against Bumrah. Bumrah will eat him for breakfast with the new ball.

Maybe but the average trio in Harris, Renshaw and Bancroft would be just as bad. Least the kid will learn. These three are 30 years olds who won’t improve.

Tend to agree with LukeParkerno1, I think your options are Konstas or finding a makeshift opener. I reckon we pick the young bloke, see how he goes and then maybe consider Inglis, Green or someone else.

I thought Chandrasinghe from Victoria might have been an option at some point, he struggles to hit it off the square a bit though. Just checked his average, yeah he's a long way off.

Tend to agree with LukeParkerno1, I think your options are Konstas or finding a makeshift opener. I reckon we pick the young bloke, see how he goes and then maybe consider Inglis, Green or someone else.

I thought Chandrasinghe from Victoria might have been an option at some point, he struggles to hit it off the square a bit though. Just checked his average, yeah he's a long way off.

Weirdly the one I’ve been the most disappointed in is Henry Hunt now credit to him he’s got a ton this year but was putrid the last 12 months. Really like Hunt as a bat but hasn’t kicked on. Thankfully the middle order bats are coming through in Green (already in), McSweeney and I like what U see from Clayton (qld) who gets tough runs.

My main issue with picking Inglis and I love Josh, is we are changing the whole top 6 to fit him in. Generally we are safe and don’t do this

Remove this Banner Ad

Australia v India - pre series discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back