Australia v India - pre series discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Weirdly the one I’ve been the most disappointed in is Henry Hunt now credit to him he’s got a ton this year but was putrid the last 12 months. Really like Hunt as a bat but hasn’t kicked on. Thankfully the middle order bats are coming through in Green (already in), McSweeney and I like what U see from Clayton (qld) who gets tough runs.

My main issue with picking Inglis and I love Josh, is we are changing the whole top 6 to fit him in. Generally we are safe and don’t do this

That's why Konstas is an easier selection at this point, if he struggles then we might have to get inventive.

That's why Konstas is an easier selection at this point, if he struggles then we might have to get inventive.

Agree and for me that’s the way I’d go. Now everyone will say move Lab sure, then we are playing Smith at 3 when he’s struggling? This is a Hail Mary to fit a test debutant in. It’s less of a risk to play a talented kid and you’d have Khawaja, Lab, Smith, Head and Marsh all experienced blokes to protect him. Won’t get a better chance to debut a kid

....................... They aren’t faultless by any means but they have a lot of weapons. If the West Indies are sneaking a test here - and remember it was only Travis Head’s knock in Adelaide that put a gap in that match - I’m sure India can at some point with 5 goes at it.
Australia are much better at home than anywhere else obviously but we are far from a great side. Lab and Smith have both had pretty ordinary times recently. Head has largely been the batsman saving us, with the odd effort elsewhere on occasion.

The bowling is in MUCH better shape than the batting. And given how erratic Starc can be that's not exactly a recommendation. Marsh likely plays in place of Green. We're getting old too. Even Lab is 30 now.

I would pick an opener. And preferably a right handed one. Then keep the rest of the order in their best places. We've been 1 down for not many a fair bit lately so it's not as if 3/4 aren't used to coming in early.

I see India winning again because I just don't think we have enough batting form. We can take 20 wickets. But you need runs too.

Last edited:

I was thinking this but sooner or later Aus need to blood some younger batsmen. Imo Warner returning is just delaying the inevitable. Uzzie is 37 too, he won't have long
Australia are much better at home than anywhere else obviously but we are far from a great side. Lab and Smith have both had pretty ordinary times recently. Head has largely been the batsman saving us, with the odd effort elsewhere on occasion.

The bowling is in MUCH better shape than the batting. And given how erratic Starc can be that's not exactly a recommendation. Marsh likely plays in place of Green. We're getting old too. Even Lab is 30 now.

I would pick an opener. And preferably a right handed one. The keep the rest of the order in their best places. We've been 1 down for not many a fair bit lately so it's not as if 3/4 aren't used to coming in early.
I see India winning again because I just don't think we have enough batting form. We can take 20 wickets. But you need runs too.
Sacrificing Konstas could do irreparable long term harm. Bancroft looks cooked as does Renshaw and makeshifting another debutant to opener is just as stupid. Play Harris for 5 Tests and reap what we’ve sown.

Sacrificing Konstas could do irreparable long term harm. Bancroft looks cooked as does Renshaw and makeshifting another debutant to opener is just as stupid. Play Harris for 5 Tests and reap what we’ve sown.
Nah, nothing to worry about.

Davey will save us apparently

So let’s play a man short? We know Harris isn’t good enough and he’ll be hopeless in the field too. If you go that route just pick Bancroft they score the same amount but one can field

Yeah I'm not really in the Konstas camp either, big ask throwing him in on 6 FC games.

Bancroft and Renshaw I agree, and I also agree with your logic on Harris. Unfortunately, left-handed, but he's clearly the "best" option. At least the bloke knows his game and actually can fight it out, he's been around long enough to at least offer some resistance. Which I dunno if you get from Bancroft or Renshaw at the moment.

Your last 4 words are dead right. Inglis to open is IMO the only other option and if you're going to do that then we put the "Reap what we've sown" mantra into play and say "Josh - play like it's a ODI or 20/20 mate. See ball, hit ball - no hard feelings if it doesn't work". But that's definitely my lowest rated choice, and clearly doesn't help long term, but neither does Harris. Maybe if Konstas goes OK the next few games he gets a look in his home Test.

Interesting that Left-Handed opening batsmen outnumber the righties at the moment in Shield Cricket.

Last edited:
I'd rather a makeshift opener than Harris, he's a known quantity and not up to test level

Yep if the answer is Harris, I'm taking the gamble and opening with Inglis. Not moving the whole order, but opening with Inglis. I'd have liked them to ask him to open with Konstas in the A game, get another keeper in (lets say Phillipe or Harper who cares). Get rid of Bancroft we know what he brings it aint much in this form.

The thing with Warner is that ex-players from all codes of sport are asked to come back the minute their team's start struggling.. it's normally a tongue-in-cheek journalism thing.

The response is almost always unanimous - 'No, I've had my time, let's back in the next generation'.

David Warner - 'Yep, I'm here! Pick me! Pick me!'

Utter flog.

The thing with Warner is that ex-players from all codes of sport are asked to come back the minute their team's start struggling.. it's normally a tongue-in-cheek journalism thing.

The response is almost always unanimous - 'No, I've had my time, let's back in the next generation'.

David Warner - 'Yep, I'm here! Pick me! Pick me!'

Utter flog.

People are reading way too much into this, even Chris Rogers said it, it's just Dave being cheeky that's all it is lol

Remove this Banner Ad

Australia v India - pre series discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back