Opinion AUSTRALIAN Politics: Adelaide Board Discussion Part 5

Remove this Banner Ad

nowhere near the expense of the runout of the infrastructure to bring all these far flung windmills and solar farms onto the grid...and I'd be surprised if you didn't already know that. The infrastructure is mostly there at the sites of the decommissioned coal fired power stations already.
The fact that we are even considering nuclear as a viable alternative is a sign of the huge mess we got ourselves into.

We have massive coal assets, but coal is bad... mmm okay.

We have massive gas assets... but a most are privatized and sold OS. Initially at ridiculously low prices that we were subsidizing, and now the top of the market. Both ways, we are getting screwed while we are being r*ped and pillaged by multinationals. WA is the only state that withheld a 15% reserve for local consumption, and not surprisingly they have the cheapest energy costs because of it.

So we're caught in between a transition from fossil fuels to renewables because there's been no set direction from prior governments, and energy companies are winging it based on where they think things will head and what's the best margin they can make.

The big battery in SA was a canary in the coalmine as far a delivering stability into what was an increasingly unstable grid. We're already talking about over-capacity, when there is way too much solar and wind for what our relatively small population demands - nuclear is just going to be more of the same. You cannot completely switch it off, and you can only dial it down so far - it has to keep working, it has to pump out energy if you want it or not. Plus it's expensive, hideously expensive for 27 million people spread out coast to coast, a similar distance of the USA with 9 times the population.

It would be cheaper to buy out a chunk of the gas companies reserves to service us (from our own resources that we should own) along with renewables, than going the nuclear route.

Mr Potato Head is trying to sell nuclear by saying a Coalition Government will subsidize the cost to consumers to make it affordable! Really? The masters of privatization? There's a better chance of pigs flying to Mars before that happens!

The fact that we are even considering nuclear as a viable alternative is a sign of the huge mess we got ourselves into.

We have massive coal assets, but coal is bad... mmm okay.

We have massive gas assets... but a most are privatized and sold OS. Initially at ridiculously low prices that we were subsidizing, and now the top of the market. Both ways, we are getting screwed while we are being r*ped and pillaged by multinationals. WA is the only state that withheld a 15% reserve for local consumption, and not surprisingly they have the cheapest energy costs because of it.

So we're caught in between a transition from fossil fuels to renewables because there's been no set direction from prior governments, and energy companies are winging it based on where they think things will head and what's the best margin they can make.

The big battery in SA was a canary in the coalmine as far a delivering stability into what was an increasingly unstable grid. We're already talking about over-capacity, when there is way too much solar and wind for what our relatively small population demands - nuclear is just going to be more of the same. You cannot completely switch it off, and you can only dial it down so far - it has to keep working, it has to pump out energy if you want it or not. Plus it's expensive, hideously expensive for 27 million people spread out coast to coast, a similar distance of the USA with 9 times the population.

It would be cheaper to buy out a chunk of the gas companies reserves to service us (from our own resources that we should won) along with renewables, than going the nuclear route.

Mr Potato Head is trying to sell nuclear by saying a Coalition Government will subsidize the cost to consumers to make it affordable! Really? The masters of privatization? There's a better chance of pigs flying to Mars before that happens!
Did you leave out we have massive, massive uranium assetts on purpose...strange.

Did you leave out we have massive, massive uranium assetts on purpose...strange.

Having raw uranium assets is not the issue, it never was, and it never will be.

It's due to the cost of infrastructure, cost of generation, distance this has to cover, and the amount of population you have to cover that cost.

While we were burning coal and gas it was an absolute no-brainer. Do those instead. Nuclear is just way to expensive. Full stop.

Even now, without coal, it is still way to expensive. Plus it still has the same problems as an excess amount of renewables - but on steroids.

Unless we fill out the middle of Australia with about 200 million people, it just doesn't make economic sense.

Having raw uranium assets is not the issue, it never was, and it never will be.

It's due to the cost of infrastructure, cost of generation, distance this has to cover, and the amount of population you have to cover that cost.

While we were burning coal and gas it was an absolute no-brainer. Do those instead. Nuclear is just way to expensive. Full stop.

Even now, without coal, it is still way to expensive. Plus it still has the same problems as an excess amount of renewables - but on steroids.

Unless we fill out the middle of Australia with about 200 million people, it just doesn't make economic sense.
So are you telling me the cost of infrastructure for all these far flung windmill and solar farm will be less when the decommissioned and soon to be coal power stations where the infrasture is mostly already there?

So are you telling me the cost of infrastructure for all these far flung windmill and solar farm will be less when the decommissioned and soon to be coal power stations where the infrasture is mostly already there?
The cost of the infrastructure needed for nuclear will be even worse again.

The whole nuclear power argument for Australia sits somewhere between a brain fart and a delusional pipe dream. The benefit just doesn't justify the cost. It's the country's biggest white elephant in the making, and that's saying something.

The cost of the infrastructure needed for nuclear will be even worse again.

The whole nuclear power argument for Australia sits somewhere between a brain fart and a delusional pipe dream. The benefit just doesn't justify the cost. It's the country's biggest white elephant in the making, and that's saying something.
I disagree.

You think you know more than an absolute expert in the nuclear field? I don't.

Nuclear stacks up, if not why are so many countries relying on it as at least their baseload to keep their lights on and businesses operating..

Going to be a massive graveyard of windmills, solar panels and spent batteries and their toxic metals and chemicals in the not too distance future. I'm yet to see any reduction in my power bills as promised by that clown Bown, in fact they continue to go the other way. And I got news for you they will continue to rise with the new infrastructue required to service all these far flung windmills and solar farms. $$$$$$$$$$$$$ Billions and billions and billions.
I know how much infrastructure is required as I work in that area. It's a lot and it's going to cost a lot. It may well offset the future reduction in wholesale costs from low cost renewable generation. No one close to the energy market believes that prices will ever come down close to what they were 10-15 years ago in real terms. No one close to the energy market also thinks nuclear is a sensible idea at this point in time either.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion AUSTRALIAN Politics: Adelaide Board Discussion Part 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Back