Opinion AUSTRALIAN Politics: Adelaide Board Discussion Part 5

Remove this Banner Ad

And so it goes!​

As ramping rockets to record levels, the government says it is building a bigger health system​

As the government boasts it’s “Building a Bigger Health System”, demand for hospital beds and ambulances continues to rise, as does the overdue queue for elective surgery. Have your say.

Adelaide ran out of emergency department beds this week, as September’s ramping figures are yet to be released.
Surging demand saw the system buckling — at 3pm on Thursday the metropolitan ED system was treating 367 patients in its combined capacity of 335, with patients on trolleys in corridors.

Flinders Medical Centre was treating 85 people in its 63 capacity ED, Royal Adelaide Hospital was treating 79 in its 69 capacity ED and Lyell McEwin was treating 68 in its 59 capacity ED.
Soaring demand threatens to soak up much of the government’s expansion of the health system, its own reasons for record ramping indicate.

From its election pledge to “fix” ramping, the government has switched to its heavily advertised “Building a Bigger Health System” strategy.

However, a chunk of the bigger system — adding more than 600 beds — will be sucked up by growing demand.
The campaign comes as ramping rockets to record levels, EDs are chronically clogged and the elective surgery waiting queue blows out to 22,037 people, including 4612 overdue.

In recent months the government has linked ramping to growing demand with an ageing population dealing with chronic illnesses.
When he released the August ramping figures of 5284 hours, Health Minister Chris Picton noted there were 10 per cent more ambulance patients taken to hospital and 6 per cent more patients in beds every night compared to the same month last year – or 155 more beds full nightly.

In releasing July’s record ramping figure of 5539 hours, Mr Picton said: “General medicine inpatients in metro hospitals peaked in July with 1086 patients across acute medical and geriatric units. This is a huge increase of 42 per cent since November 2022.

“There were 1290 more triple-0 calls and 999 more ambulance attendances at hospital compared to July last year.”
Releasing the June figures of 3798 hours ramped, he said demand for cancer services in the north rose more than 12 per cent in the past year and oncology outpatient appointments increased from 10,443 to 11,448 in a year.

Releasing May’s 4773 hours figure, Mr Picton noted: “The average number of patients in our hospitals with a length of stay greater than 21 days has surged by 21.1 per cent in the past 12 months. At the Royal Adelaide it’s a 42.5 per cent increase.”

A government spokesman said building more than 600 extra beds would deliver extra capacity resulting in faster treatment and less access block.

“When people get stuck in our hospitals, and have nowhere else to go, it means sick people are unable to get through the front door — that’s why we’re delivering this much-needed capacity for South Australia’s growing and ageing population,” he said.

And so it goes!​

As ramping rockets to record levels, the government says it is building a bigger health system​

As the government boasts it’s “Building a Bigger Health System”, demand for hospital beds and ambulances continues to rise, as does the overdue queue for elective surgery. Have your say.

Adelaide ran out of emergency department beds this week, as September’s ramping figures are yet to be released.
Surging demand saw the system buckling — at 3pm on Thursday the metropolitan ED system was treating 367 patients in its combined capacity of 335, with patients on trolleys in corridors.

Flinders Medical Centre was treating 85 people in its 63 capacity ED, Royal Adelaide Hospital was treating 79 in its 69 capacity ED and Lyell McEwin was treating 68 in its 59 capacity ED.
Soaring demand threatens to soak up much of the government’s expansion of the health system, its own reasons for record ramping indicate.

From its election pledge to “fix” ramping, the government has switched to its heavily advertised “Building a Bigger Health System” strategy.

However, a chunk of the bigger system — adding more than 600 beds — will be sucked up by growing demand.
The campaign comes as ramping rockets to record levels, EDs are chronically clogged and the elective surgery waiting queue blows out to 22,037 people, including 4612 overdue.

In recent months the government has linked ramping to growing demand with an ageing population dealing with chronic illnesses.
When he released the August ramping figures of 5284 hours, Health Minister Chris Picton noted there were 10 per cent more ambulance patients taken to hospital and 6 per cent more patients in beds every night compared to the same month last year – or 155 more beds full nightly.

In releasing July’s record ramping figure of 5539 hours, Mr Picton said: “General medicine inpatients in metro hospitals peaked in July with 1086 patients across acute medical and geriatric units. This is a huge increase of 42 per cent since November 2022.

“There were 1290 more triple-0 calls and 999 more ambulance attendances at hospital compared to July last year.”
Releasing the June figures of 3798 hours ramped, he said demand for cancer services in the north rose more than 12 per cent in the past year and oncology outpatient appointments increased from 10,443 to 11,448 in a year.

Releasing May’s 4773 hours figure, Mr Picton noted: “The average number of patients in our hospitals with a length of stay greater than 21 days has surged by 21.1 per cent in the past 12 months. At the Royal Adelaide it’s a 42.5 per cent increase.”

A government spokesman said building more than 600 extra beds would deliver extra capacity resulting in faster treatment and less access block.

“When people get stuck in our hospitals, and have nowhere else to go, it means sick people are unable to get through the front door — that’s why we’re delivering this much-needed capacity for South Australia’s growing and ageing population,” he said.

Perhaps the Government could actually deal with the main bed block issue - long term maintenance patients & get them into a more appropriate facility that taking up hundreds of acute beds... which leads to ED bed block & ramping...

I have told the higher ups my solution which is more effective & cheaper than putting on more paramedics as patients wait in ambulances waiting to be treated...

Perhaps the Government could actually deal with the main bed block issue - long term maintenance patients & get them into a more appropriate facility that taking up hundreds of acute beds... which leads to ED bed block & ramping...

I have told the higher ups my solution which is more effective & cheaper than putting on more paramedics as patients wait in ambulances waiting to be treated...
Do we have a mental health facility or are they also clogging up hospital beds?

Do we have a mental health facility or are they also clogging up hospital beds?
There has finally been an increase in mental health in the home program which i suggested 3 years ago... which should help. There are new mental health beds being built but won't be available for a couple of years.

Biggest issue now though is long-term maintenance patients (including waiting on NDIS as well as aged care). Should have another facilty for these rather than clogging up acute beds at our major hospitals.

There has finally been an increase in mental health in the home program which i suggested 3 years ago... which should help. There are new mental health beds being built but won't be available for a couple of years.

Biggest issue now though is long-term maintenance patients (including waiting on NDIS as well as aged care). Should have another facilty for these rather than clogging up acute beds at our major hospitals.
My nephew has to go to emergency the other week and he said the number of druggies there didn’t help

Nuclear stacks up, if not why are so many countries relying on it as at least their baseload to keep their lights on and businesses operating..

Going to be a massive graveyard of windmills, solar panels and spent batteries and their toxic metals and chemicals in the not too distance future. I'm yet to see any reduction in my power bills as promised by that clown Bown, in fact they continue to go the other way. And I got news for you they will continue to rise with the new infrastructue required to service all these far flung windmills and solar farms. $$$$$$$$$$$$$ Billions and billions and billions.

Seriously, it will take 20+ years and will be way over budget. No nuclear power station has been built on time and budget in the developed world. An we don’t have any legislative regulations in place either.

And don’t quote the UAE or China either regarding building times etc, both countries are authoritarian states and yes, that makes a massive difference.

If we started 10 years ago, yes, but that ship sailed long ago.

nowhere near the expense of the runout of the infrastructure to bring all these far flung windmills and solar farms onto the grid...and I'd be surprised if you didn't already know that. The infrastructure is mostly there at the sites of the decommissioned coal fired power stations already.

The infrastructure of the transmission lines, yes.

What about the rest?

And what about the Small Modular Reactors?

The infrastructure of the transmission lines, yes.

What about the rest?

And what about the Small Modular Reactors?
Yeah just don't forget to put on your full body Armour and hard at within 400 - 500m of those windmills..

Of course that wouldn't worry a city dwelling ex bank staffer like your good self who wouldn't get within 50km of a windmuill farm.

Stormy weather my ass, Golden Plains Shire is adjacent to the Shire where we live.

Farmers’ fears grow as Golden Plains Windfarm that shoots off flying, serrated shards gets bigger​

The government says the growing Golden Plains Windfarm is “inspiring”, but local farmers say they have even more reason to fear they’ll be hit with shards that fly off “from time to time”.

Mr Coad has collected almost a dozen serrated edges so far and has been warned of further defects.

“We’re still being told not to go near them,” he said.

“They’re 100m from my fence so that’s 300m of my land I can’t go on. I’ve had to move my livestock, I’ve delayed cropping I need to do.”

Vestas, the company delivering the turbines, said it was “making significant strides in repairing serrated trailing edges affected by extreme stormy weather”.

“Around 60 per cent of turbine blades have been thoroughly inspected and repaired as required and exclusion zones have been lifted,” a spokesman for the company said. “The remaining turbines will be addressed carefully over the next two weeks and exclusion zones removed around each one on completion.”

Western Victorian MP Bev McArthur said it was “completely unacceptable” that farms and households were facing the danger of falling debris.

“And it’s incredible that these wind turbines are falling apart because of – you’ve guessed it – wind!” she said. “This is just the latest disruption foisted upon regional Victoria by the Melbourne-centric Labor Party and their blind ideological rush to politically motivated renewables targets. What’s next, sheep in hard hats?”

1728796152265.png
1728796183628.png

Yeah just don't forget to put on your full body Armour and hard at within 400 - 500m of those windmills..

Of course that wouldn't worry a city dwelling ex bank staffer like your good self who wouldn't get within 50km of a windmuill farm.

Stormy weather my ass, Golden Plains Shire is adjacent to the Shire where we live.

Farmers’ fears grow as Golden Plains Windfarm that shoots off flying, serrated shards gets bigger​

The government says the growing Golden Plains Windfarm is “inspiring”, but local farmers say they have even more reason to fear they’ll be hit with shards that fly off “from time to time”.

Mr Coad has collected almost a dozen serrated edges so far and has been warned of further defects.

“We’re still being told not to go near them,” he said.

“They’re 100m from my fence so that’s 300m of my land I can’t go on. I’ve had to move my livestock, I’ve delayed cropping I need to do.”

Vestas, the company delivering the turbines, said it was “making significant strides in repairing serrated trailing edges affected by extreme stormy weather”.

“Around 60 per cent of turbine blades have been thoroughly inspected and repaired as required and exclusion zones have been lifted,” a spokesman for the company said. “The remaining turbines will be addressed carefully over the next two weeks and exclusion zones removed around each one on completion.”

Western Victorian MP Bev McArthur said it was “completely unacceptable” that farms and households were facing the danger of falling debris.

“And it’s incredible that these wind turbines are falling apart because of – you’ve guessed it – wind!” she said. “This is just the latest disruption foisted upon regional Victoria by the Melbourne-centric Labor Party and their blind ideological rush to politically motivated renewables targets. What’s next, sheep in hard hats?”

View attachment 2139917
View attachment 2139918

Answer my questions not deflect.

Yes and lets never consider the possibility of a nuclear incident either.

Sheep in hard hats? Thats why these type of pollies aren’t taken seriously. They lose more from cold weather and predators. But hey, what would I know.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Answer my questions not deflect.

Yes and lets never consider the possibility of a nuclear incident either.

Sheep in hard hats? Thats why these type of pollies aren’t taken seriously. They lose more from cold weather and predators. But hey, what would I know.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion AUSTRALIAN Politics: Adelaide Board Discussion Part 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Back