ATP/WTA Australian Summer of Tennis 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

No Barty and Nick for team Australia

This sucks lols at least we have Leyton representing

I like Kubler but you would be disappointed to get him v Evans fir your session.

Are their doubles ranking points for the Mixed game? I presume their are otherwise why would they bother but I don't remember Mixed ever carrying ranking points for an event before.

One improvement to the United Cup is make it 8 groups of three so 24 countries instead of 18. Keeping the groups of three at least restricts it to two games per player plays finals.

Why it would improve it is then at least each city would have two courts going? Some of these sessions are fairly ordinary with two games during the day

The issue is depth but a guy like Dominc Thiem is playing qualifying in Adelaide tomorrow. Surely Austria could pull a team together as an example.

This is a good for TV but wouldn't do much for me live.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can't really get into any of this lead up stuff this year. I am watching bits and pieces but am struggling to follow where all the matches fit in. Feels like a bit of a dog's breakfast.
United Cup is an interesting concept but I am struggling to get into the lead up tournaments.

Are you not watching Adelaide? The fields are fantastic. Spent the day there today. Andreescu/Muguruza was great fun!

Hoe stacked is the mens for a 250 tournament. Scheduling nightmare.

Court one will be packed.for Djokovic's doubles tomorrow

Sounds like Djokovic is the day session on Tuesday for his singles. I presume Murray and Medvedev will get a centre court spot which leave guys like Sinner, Rublev and others on fairly small outside courts.

Last edited:
That Ben Rothenberg must be having kittens how Djokovic is here unvaccinated, his cheerleading against him this time last year was something else.
Can we not mention that tosser in this thread?

I can't really get into any of this lead up stuff this year. I am watching bits and pieces but am struggling to follow where all the matches fit in. Feels like a bit of a dog's breakfast.

They will have to streamline this next year. Should be just teams of 2.

My thoughts on the United Cup and lead in tournament schedule.

The whole idea of the event was to improve the quality of players in Sydney which I can see why they thought they needed to do. It has definetley come at the expense of Brisbane and to some extent Perth. I think the event has potential but maybe we need to give it a few years to get used to it. It has given Tennis Australia an extra three days of tennis by making it a ten day event but I don't think the event has hit the spot yet.

One problem is if it is about star power then they can't have Djokovic, Rublev, Sinner, Murray, Medvedev, and others playing in 250 event in Adelaide. It needs some tweaking so those players are involved. Maybe more teams but only one players as suggested which might help with the WTA side of things.

As much as the sport try's it is mostly indervidual sport. On the whole the players watching courtside in particular when it's the opposite sex really don't care and are sitting there by obligation.

Another option is expanding the United Cup rather than reducing it. If there was two ties happening each session at each venue then you could mix the schedule up and maybe get some better matches happening on the main court.

In an ideal world India move their ATP event to later in the year. The first week then has Auckland (women) Perth (combined), Brisbane (combined) tournaments and a reduced United Cup in Sydney. I don't think India will do that though.

Fields the week before a Grand Slam are fairly thin which is why I think Adelaide (mens and womens), Hobart (womans) and Auckland (mens) works well.

The two weeks in Adelaide this year is a cost saving exercise as much as anything from the boradcasters point of view but it is unusual on tour to have consecutive events.

I'm happy as Adelaide has been the big winner but can see we need some refinement. I think if all things stay the same schedule wise I'd expand rather than reduce the United Cup. Keeping in mind the players have on the whole said they only want two matches so need to keep the groups of three.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

ATP/WTA Australian Summer of Tennis 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Back