ATP/WTA Australian Summer of Tennis 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Popyrin is 2-0 for 2023. Think he only won 6 matches for all of 2022

He was so poor last year, I'm not sure how he didn't drop further in the ranking. Essentially it's a $125k challenger title keeping his ranking afloat.

At least he's justified his AO wildcard now

I've only really watched the Adelaide tournament since it started. Like I said previously I think the United Cup can work and we probably need to give it time but it needs to be expanded if anything or reduce the cities hosting it to improve the live experience.

Another way is maybe Sydney should host the entire United Cup event perhaps with reduced countries and let Auckland, Brisbane, Adelaide, Perth and Hobart have the regular events over the two weeks. If need be do what some cities do overseas and have the mens and womens events swap each year rather than a combined event so there is enough to go around.

Ideally India move their ATP event to another time.

United Cup would do well to move to a straight KO format. Include a secondary tie for first round losers so all teams get in at least two matches for AO warmup purposes.

16 teams. First two rounds two of the venues, semis and final at the third. Probably never getting the finals in Perth due to travel reasons but not sure what can really be done about that. Unless the United Cup moves to Adelaide, and Perth gets an ATP or WTA event (which would be hard at Perth Arena because its not really in a tennis complex.

Not sure the exact solution but the current format ain't it. A match between 700th in the world vs 250th in the world in a 15k seat stadium aint a good look.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the United Cup is why i cant seem to get into the summer of tennis, it feels so meaningless, i watched for an hour the other day and it just looked like the players did not care at all. I will probably tune in when the AO starts
Agree, it's the first time that I haven't been interested in the lead-up tournaments pre AO

A real shame that Alcaraz is out of the AO :(

I won’t say it but this is a big warning sign for him going forward. Half the reason your Novak,Fed, Nadal we’re so good is they were injury free early. I’m not shocked he was playing exhibitions way too early was a weird preparation

Remove this Banner Ad

ATP/WTA Australian Summer of Tennis 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Back