Australian XII for the Boxing Day Test (Official Ins: Watson, Hauritz, Hilfenhaus, Out: Krejza)

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Australian XII for the Boxing Day Test

My preference would be to give Hilf the go, I think he will benefit from playing in a series where we are behind and could have 12 months reminiscient of Stuart Clark's debut year. The two you mentioned are worthy of selection along with Magoffin, but we are really looking for a line and legth new ball bowler and the Hilf fits that category for mine.

Also Krezja is not test standard on pitches not favouring spin.

My preference would be to give Hilf the go, I think he will benefit from playing in a series where we are behind and could have 12 months reminiscient of Stuart Clark's debut year. The two you mentioned are worthy of selection along with Magoffin, but we are really looking for a line and legth new ball bowler and the Hilf fits that category for mine.
Bollinger. Champagne cricket.

Krazy-J?

Who would replace him?

I think Krezja is good enough to get wickets, im just not sure if his good enough to maintain economical lines.

He has gone for over 100 every innings his bowled and im afraid that is not sustainable with regards to his continued selection. Im quite willing to give him another test but im not sure if the selectors will feel the same for obvious reasons.

In that case you could draft in Hauritz. At least you know you'll keep it relatively tight and still be capable of getting wickets.

Both however you'd think are only temporary players until Bryce McGain is fit.

Apparently his injury is very rare, his one of only 5 people world wide to suffer it.

Fair go Gunnar, i was just throwing out some theories.

Anyone think Kreaja's position is in danger?

Probably not for Melbourne or Sydney, but beyond definately if he bowls like he did at stages for those tests.

I don't think his position was ever safe, he is not economical, and for mine shouldn't be persisted with. This is Test cricket, not the U13 B's where provided you trained during the week and make it to the ground on Saturday then you get a bowl.

Yeah - and I reckon Bollinger will be right in the mix despite being a leftie.

Surely.

Great season last year. Went to India. Took six wickets today.

If the selectors sit down and chat about bowlers, how many guys are going to be higher on the list?

It depends.

Four quicks?

I like Krejza. He's a tough-nut. He can bat. He's good in the field. But he's not a Test-class spinner.

That said, if we're keen on playing a spinner and it's a choice between Krazy-J and Hauritz, Krazy-J gets my vote.

Hauritz did get 3 wickets today as well which will do his chances no harm.

It is basically replacing an ordinary bowler with another ordinary bowler. Unless a spinner deserves his spot through consistent domestic performances, I wouldn't pick one unless the pitch demanded it.

1 Hayden
2 Katich
3 Ponting
4 Hussey
5 Clarke
6 Symonds
7 Haddin
8 Johnson
9 Lee
10 Siddle
11 Bolligner

That's what I'd like to see, but isn't going to happen.

Im not sure on 4 quicks for a few reasons.

Over-rates, no doubt if we play 4 quicks SA will try and slow it down.

If 3 quicks cant get the wickets then im not sure 4 quicks will make much difference.

You'd prefer a finger spinner or a wrist spinner. In that case, surely Hauritz's stocks may be firming.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Meh.

Pick the guy who can make runs.

Call me crazy, but I still reckon Krezy-J could develop into a half-decent spinner.

I agree with you, i think he can develop into a spinner.

We'll have to wait until the squad is announced. If his in it then he'll be playing, if not then that is that.

Katich should be used as the main spinner with the other part-timers, he can seriously turn it. Symonds is not much worse tweaker than Harris. I'm surprised so many people are selecting Krejza after this match, 1-200 was it?

I don't think his position was ever safe, he is not economical, and for mine shouldn't be persisted with. This is Test cricket, not the U13 B's where provided you trained during the week and make it to the ground on Saturday then you get a bowl.
Spoken like a man who won his fair share of Encouragement Awards.

Hayden
Katich
Ponting
Hussey
Clarke
Symonds
Haddin
Krejza
Johnson
Lee
Hilfenhaus

Siddle

Bollingers thoughts on a potential Boxing Day Debut.

"I would love the opportunity and I would grab it with both hands, but I am going to be looking at the one-dayer on Tuesday [for New South Wales against Western Australia] and just go from there," he told AAP. "If I happened to get that opportunity, then fantastic."

You dont often hear a player say that, its normally a "ill wait and see but obviously ill hope to play". Seems to be pretty keen.

Encouraging.

Katich should be used as the main spinner with the other part-timers, he can seriously turn it. Symonds is not much worse tweaker than Harris. I'm surprised so many people are selecting Krejza after this match, 1-200 was it?

Krezja is being persisted with because he can take wickets.

You have to have patience.

I agree with you, i think he can develop into a spinner.
Is he any worse than Paul Harris?

Harris took wickets with some shit balls.

Krejza's delivery that took a wicket was a pearler.

I know it's only one ball. But it suggests that he's got something going on.

They'll stick with Siddle, surely they wont drop a bloke after 1 test?

They obviously have a fair amount of confidence in him.

The best bowler in shield cricket presently is Damien Wright but he won't come under consideration as he isn't fashionable. Australia has no need for a bowler that can land the ball on a spot and produce wicket taking balls too dismiss quality batsmen.

Instead they'll select pie-chuckers like Siddle, Lee and Kresja. Lee shouldn't escape criticism, now that he has lost his pace he is a pedestrian performer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Australian XII for the Boxing Day Test (Official Ins: Watson, Hauritz, Hilfenhaus, Out: Krejza)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back