Australian XII for the Boxing Day Test (Official Ins: Watson, Hauritz, Hilfenhaus, Out: Krejza)

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Australian XII for the Boxing Day Test

Well then, now it's time to make the hard calls :

Hayden - drop him now
Katich - plays the next Test but should be dropped if he fails
Ponting - can't drop the captain but needs a huge kick up the @rse
Hussey - get him to see a sports psych
Clarke - get another tattoo on the other arm, "I must concentrate harder"
Symonds - drop him and bring in a genuine all-rounder
Haddin - forget his batting, he's the designated gloveman and he spilt several simple takes behind the wicket, time to find someone else
Lee - give him a kick up the @rse too
Johnson - spend a whole week in the nets to improve his line & consistency
Kreja - persist with him
Siddle - try someone else, he isn't up to it

Riiiiiiiiggght

:eek:

They'll stick with Siddle, surely they wont drop a bloke after 1 test?

They obviously have a fair amount of confidence in him.

Are you kidding?

We have just been thumped by 6 wickets with a side chasing down 400+ runs.

If that isnt a scenario where "changes" will be made to a side, then i dont know what is?

Gunnar,

If sides were picked on averages, Symonds would never have been there in the first place, either would Michael Clarke - people would rate Damien Martyn, Michael Clarke and Justin Langer as better batsmen than Mark Waugh etc etc.

Symonds has averaged 65, yes. He did this on flat tracks in Australia including 160* when he smashed it to the keeper when he was on 20, then scored multiple not out half centuries against the West Indies who have a pop gun attack that includes Brendan Nash who couldn't crack the QLD 2nd XI last season...

Throw all the stats out you want, the fact remains that no stat will ever convince anyone that Symonds is a better player than Clarke, Hussey or Ponting. No stat will account for the current form and mindset of Symonds.

Our bowling needs serious work, Lee has been bowling 135km/h rubbish for 6 months and should surely be under just as mush pressure as Hayden. Siddle is only a 2nd gamer who needs an extended run to learn about test bowling, and we are playing the Tassie 2nd XI spinner. Our best quick blew out his elbow and is gone. Trouble with this is we don't have people beating down the door.

What is clear is that we don't have 4 test class bowlers that can consistently bowl sides out, and maintain pressure against good batting sides when they leave us in the field for 80+ overs. We need more than a part-time bowler to assist, as it doesn't matter how many runs Symonds or anyone else make if we can't take 20 wickets.

As such, Watson as the only real genuine all-rounder in the country (Henriques still developing, Hopes, Thornely and White just plodders in each discipline) needs to come into the side as a middle order batsman that provides a genuine extra option with the ball.

Produce any stat you like, any link you like. Symonds is the first to go from our middle order, he just is simply not as good a player as the others.

My XI would look like this.

1. Hayden (last chance)
2. Katich
3. Ponting
4. Hussey
5. Clarke
6. Watson
7. Haddin
8. Krezja
9. Johnson
10. Siddle
11. Hilfenhaus

I think it will likely have no change though, or maybe Siddle will make way for Bolly or Hilfy

Bollinger swings it so we don't have to worry about him not doing that. Hes also got height. But if they go with Hilfy I have no problems. Just don't feel Siddle is threatening enough atm.

Are you kidding?

We have just been thumped by 6 wickets with a side chasing down 400+ runs.

If that isnt a scenario where "changes" will be made to a side, then i dont know what is?
He took as many wickets for us as Lee and Krejza did. Why is he facing the most scrutiny? Give him a test on his home patch and you may be surprised. Giving a bloke 1 test wont do anything for his confidence or the incumbents.

Gunnar,

If sides were picked on averages, Symonds would never have been there in the first place, either would Michael Clarke - people would rate Damien Martyn, Michael Clarke and Justin Langer as better batsmen than Mark Waugh etc etc.

Symonds has averaged 65, yes. He did this on flat tracks in Australia including 160* when he smashed it to the keeper when he was on 20, then scored multiple not out half centuries against the West Indies who have a pop gun attack that includes Brendan Nash who couldn't crack the QLD 2nd XI last season...

Throw all the stats out you want, the fact remains that no stat will ever convince anyone that Symonds is a better player than Clarke, Hussey or Ponting. No stat will account for the current form and mindset of Symonds.

Our bowling needs serious work, Lee has been bowling 135km/h rubbish for 6 months and should surely be under just as mush pressure as Hayden. Siddle is only a 2nd gamer who needs an extended run to learn about test bowling, and we are playing the Tassie 2nd XI spinner. Our best quick blew out his elbow and is gone. Trouble with this is we don't have people beating down the door.

What is clear is that we don't have 4 test class bowlers that can consistently bowl sides out, and maintain pressure against good batting sides when they leave us in the field for 80+ overs. We need more than a part-time bowler to assist, as it doesn't matter how many runs Symonds or anyone else make if we can't take 20 wickets.

As such, Watson as the only real genuine all-rounder in the country (Henriques still developing, Hopes, Thornely and White just plodders in each discipline) needs to come into the side as a middle order batsman that provides a genuine extra option with the ball.

Produce any stat you like, any link you like. Symonds is the first to go from our middle order, he just is simply not as good a player as the others.

My XI would look like this.

1. Hayden (last chance)
2. Katich
3. Ponting
4. Hussey
5. Clarke
6. Watson
7. Haddin
8. Krezja
9. Johnson
10. Siddle
11. Hilfenhaus

I think it will likely have no change though, or maybe Siddle will make way for Bolly or Hilfy
Too long.

No response.

But Lee won't be dropped.

****, this is like a Big Footy signature thread. All the idiotic, cliched comments have been condensed into an hilarious little slideshow for our viewing pleasure.

Let me just touch on some classics:

We should drop Katich. That's right, the superior opener who's been one of our most consistent performers of late, needs to go.

Siddle bowled better than Lee. What?

Johnson needs to spend more time in the nets. Nah, screw it, let him sharpen his skills at state level for a while.

Watson is a better option than Symonds.

Haddin, a player who's last three scores add up to approx 280 runs, isn't as good as the plethora of great keeper/batsmen we have in our state ranks.

Siddle didn't bowl pies, he was just a little unlucky. Yeah, unlucky to be bowling pies!

Does that cover it?

Fwiw Bollinger should get a game. It was only a matter of time before he settled and got into form again for NSW, and that appears to have happened today. Hell I could close my eyes and blindly pick one of either Tait, Hilfy or Bracken and they'd do better than Siddle.

You can't drop Lee, he's still in our top two bowlers (without Clark) and you wouldn't be able to find a better replacement. Did anyone even watch him bowl? He, unlike Siddle, could be considered unlucky. He bowled some great spells and wasn't rewarded.

I don't have a problem with Hayden getting another go. Jaques is injured and Hughes shouldn't be making his debut on Boxing Day, so that leaves Rogers as his only replacement. He deserves a shot but I think Hayden will be persisted with.

Finally, Ponting and Hussey need to pull their fingers out and Clarke and Symonds have to stop throwing their wickets away. We could have scored another 150-odd runs in this test if we played 20% smarter. It's not as if the Saffers looked like world beaters and we should be running scared, just play some sensible cricket for a change.

Too long.

No response.

But Lee won't be dropped.
I said I woudl drop him, I also noted that I don't think he will be dropped.

Of course it was too long, it was also too correct - hence the no response.

One thing that would help Lee, would be the selection of Watson. As with a genuine 5th bowling option our strike quicks won't be forced to bowl 30 overs including long spells into the wind, thus compromising their pace and menace and of course their ability to take wickets.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im not sure on 4 quicks for a few reasons.

Over-rates, no doubt if we play 4 quicks SA will try and slow it down.

LOL, worst ever justification for selecting a side.

If 3 quicks cant get the wickets then im not sure 4 quicks will make much difference.

You'd prefer a finger spinner or a wrist spinner. In that case, surely Hauritz's stocks may be firming.

We should pick our best four bowlers, forget about the composition our best four bowlers are quicks, and by a long way, this is undeniable.

I wouldn't have Krezja in the boxing day side. I think giving Symonds, Clarke and Katich increased overs would just about do the same job as Krezja.

I would go with:

Hayden
Katich
Ponting
Hussey
Clarke
Watson
Haddin
Krejza
Lee
Johnson
Hilfenhaus

No point having Symonds in as an "all-rounder" when Ponting doesn't even bowl him.

Agree with that side.

I feel a bit disappointed for Siddle. I felt he was a logical choice, but he really didn't perform upto the standard required. Imo, he'll only get better from the experience.

Hilfenhaus should be at least considered for a bowling spot.

Siddle didn't bowl pies, he was just a little unlucky. Yeah, unlucky to be bowling pies!

Does that cover it?

Fwiw Bollinger should get a game. It was only a matter of time before he settled and got into form again for NSW, and that appears to have happened today. Hell I could close my eyes and blindly pick one of either Tait, Hilfy or Bracken and they'd do better than Siddle.

You can't drop Lee, he's still in our top two bowlers (without Clark) and you wouldn't be able to find a better replacement. Did anyone even watch him bowl? He, unlike Siddle, could be considered unlucky. He bowled some great spells and wasn't rewarded.

Lee has played test cricket for near a decade now, and still hasn't learnt that bowling short rubbish against quality batsmen will get him nowhere. Now that he pretty much bowls consistently in the mid 130's, his short rubbish is even worse.

Siddle has played 2 tests, last night he bowled absolute rubbish - short crap that didn't threaten anyone and got dispatched accordingly. Likely following the lead of his spearhead. Funnily enough, it took him this one simple lesson to pitch the ****ing thing up and he bowled much better today. It took him one poor spell of short rubbish to learn that it isn't on, yet Lee hasn't learnt after 70 tests. Lee's best spells were when he pitched it up, but he would always revert to his short crap and get dispatched. He is no quicker than the next bloke these days and should adjust accordingly, and maybe learn to do something with the pill off the deck.

Siddle comprehensively outbowled Lee in India in their one test together and while he was disappointing in this test, he was the equal of Lee and he isn't 32 and dropping pace with every ball he bowls, and obviously isn't a slow learner like Lee.

I'd be happy to see Bolly or Hilfy get a game, but at the expense of Lee not Siddle. Lee's last 6 months of form is worse than Hayden's, and his book of credits is a hell of alot thinner - yet he appears to be under no pressure??

Lee's 'last six months' Thommo? That is a ridiculous comment I mean what came in the months before India? Plenty of quicks have struggled in India and I wouldn't hold that against Lee.

Sure they have, but he was our worst over there and hasn't done anything since returning here.

Plenty of batsman have struggled in India too, and their form is being judged on performances there.

Hayden's batting in India was better than Lee's bowling (which says plenty about Lee's bowling) and since returning, they're not far apart on form at their chosen disciplines. Plenty of noise for the sacking of Hayden though, who I reckon deserves a few more goes than Lee!

Remove this Banner Ad

Australian XII for the Boxing Day Test (Official Ins: Watson, Hauritz, Hilfenhaus, Out: Krejza)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back