Australia's 50 greatest white ball players (ODI and T20) rankings/listicle

Remove this Banner Ad

Warner was in a different era then Ponting and Gilchrist for the best part, Ponting and Gilchrist played when ODI's got sporting pitches, average team scores of 200-260 were the normal, while Warner played in the T20 era when 350+ even 400+ was happening, roads, big bats and powerplays.. pretty much everything to favour batting... can't really compare stats. Aaron Finch had 17 ODI 100's while Gilchrist had 16 in almost 2x the games as Finch.. I don't think many would pick Finch ahead of Gilchrist in a all time best ODI side but statistically he has a better record.

Warner was in a different era then Ponting and Gilchrist for the best part, Ponting and Gilchrist played when ODI's got sporting pitches, average team scores of 200-260 were the normal, while Warner played in the T20 era when 350+ even 400+ was happening, roads, big bats and powerplays.. pretty much everything to favour batting... can't really compare stats. Aaron Finch had 17 ODI 100's while Gilchrist had 16 in almost 2x the games as Finch.. I don't think many would pick Finch ahead of Gilchrist in a all time best ODI side but statistically he has a better record.
Gilchrist also gets plaudits as he was also an excellent keeper.

If Gilly, Big Dos and Warne played 15 years of T20 to go with their wonderful careers in 50 over cricket, they might have been the top 3.
Gilly and BIG DOS would have absolutely smoked t20 batting. Especially in the early years where the bowlers were clueless. They were both basically playing t20 batting in white ball anyway.

Warne could have completely demolished t20 as an all rounder, but probably would have taken a while as bowlers sucked in the early years.

(I know they all played t20, but at the end of their careers)

Remove this Banner Ad

Australia's 50 greatest white ball players (ODI and T20) rankings/listicle

Remove this Banner Ad

Back