Autopsy Awesome, and some would say, unexpected win to the Pies over the Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

Can someone please make a .gif of this guy shaking his head. Im pissing myself

Do what I did re.. if you've recorded it on fox.. get your mobs and record this gypsy and have it on continuous play.. it's the best. Watched it easily over 50 times re..

Yep, stoked for him. I would love to see that smile every week so hopefully we can put a few good games together.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I would also love to see that smile again, although he should wear a little sunscreen next time

Wow wow wow

Rapt for Bucks

So much to love, agreeing with everyone's posting. Couple of things I loved

De Goey just steps through tackles with a casual certainty that he can't be tagged. Almost doesn't even acknowledge the tackler. Just looks great.

Stephenson hands. Was just so quick and clean but the most exciting was when the afterburners went on on the wing. We are going to see a lot of that and it will hurt teams.

What a win, definitely proved our really dominant period last week was no fluke. Truly dominating games has been an issue for us as it is for all mid-table teams who get by with endeavour or patches of good play. But yesterday it was clear from the start we were working really well as unit.

Almost all players were great in their roles and some like Sidey and Grundy were phenomenal but truly we should be giving this one to Bucks and the coaches. We made their entire team look second grade. Not only did we smash them in the midfield (the easiest task wth the Crouch brothers out and Sloane down) but our forward pressure left their rebound with very little to go with from the first minute of the game to the last, and our defence was excellent in killing their I50s with all players winning their one on ones and defending the ground ball and aerial contests just as well as each other.

A lot of the ongoing decisions we’ve made are paying off, more responsibility to Sidey in the middle (and to be frank it’s not the way I would have gone but hey), the idea of giving up size down back and teach intercept defenders to play tighter, the Cox role which is tailor made for him as well as pushing Reid forward. One key thing is this year we’re not afraid to stretch the ground length wise and lead players forward of the ball. It allows someone like Varcoe to be constantly at the feet of Cox for example and gives a lot more options to our running midfield.

Individually we had so many good performers on the field it’s hard to break down but a few things stood out.

Of course the focus will be on the deadly Grundy and Sidey combo and rightly so. They have been elite in their position this season. And so has Treloar been in the last two games. Our midfield strength is starting to show and will cause headaches for the opposition trying to stop it with so many ball winners.

Pendles should get more recognition for his game (675m gained, most of anyone on ground). He’s playing a little less inside which is helping maximise his vision and skills, no doubt this has a huge influence on the quality of our I50 delivery and the lack of turnover/over the top goals we’re used to conceding. He’s been good all year despite some comments but this was more than good.

Thomas and WHE are playing really important roles for us in that midfield to forward linkage. Thomas especially stands up as always being there in important moments and playing such a tough, skilled, smart game (20d, 2 goals, 7 I50s, 10 score involvements!).

Stephenson obviously was great with a ton of raw and exciting talent. If he puts together this forward potency with what we know he can do in the middle from his junior years he might end up the best talent from his draft year.

Murray, Brown, Aish, Scharenberg are continuing to build up on good performances and you can see they’ve got more upside which is pleasing from a development perspective (we’re doing something better there).

The only ones I’d say were down were Howe on his defensive game (new role for him this year doesn’t allow him as much rebound or flexibility) and Crocker who tries hard but doesn’t offer enough offensively and could be the only one to go for one of Elliott or Wells. If Adams gets up we might need to rethink set ups but Brown could be the unlucky one.

Bring this level of cohesion and midfield power on Anzac Day and we’ll win. Time to prove if we can be consistent over eight quarters now, not four.

Last edited:
Apologies in advance for the wordy post ahead I’ve been waiting for performances like last night for some time and we just need to bring it consistently. That was a fantastic result to highlight exactly what’s been missing over the past few years.

As many would know I’ve been bigger than most on our talent over that period we’ve struggled and know that it isn’t what’s been holding us back. Our issues have been primarily related to a few glaring deficiencies:

1. Structure
2. Fundamentals
3. Synergy/ connection
4. Ball movement

Around the contest and in defense our structure has been woeful at times, but over the past few weeks we seem to have stopped over committing numbers inside the contest and we’re not pressing up as high in defense. We now have a few cool heads down back in Dunn, Howe and Scharenberg (amazing role on Jenkins) which is certainly helping. Of the highlighted areas I’d say this is the one we’re most in control of and is the most likely to remain positive.

When was the last time our fundamentals have been that bang on? No fumbling, players blocking at the right times, no handballs to guys standing still, smothers and knock ons. It was Hawthornesque and requires no talent whatsoever just footy IQ and intent to execute.

The past fortnight has actually been startling in terms of our connection with ball in hand. It’s almost as if something has clicked and some amongst the group just now get that if they’re in a certain spot at a certain time they’ll gain possession. It’s not rocket science or anything related to change in personel, but rather the result of adherence to a game plan.

I’m not a big fan of individualising, but it’s impossible not to in this area because Our improving ball movement is impacted so overwhelmingly by one man, Sam Murray! He is rough around the edges and will slow down as the grind of an AFL season catches up, however he’s done wonders for our movement. He plays with an intent that was missing since Shaw left and its infectious. Ignoring the ridiculous trade cost for his services he’s the best colplimentary trade we’ve made since Clement.

I’m sure we all enjoyed last nights performance, but unfortunately it’s not yet a trend. We again did some very “un-Collingwood” things and it remains to be seen if they can be replicated I mean who saw Sidebottom to Sloane coming? Does anyone remember our forward third being that open? When has entry I50 ever been that effective? The benefits of quick ball movement in transition and pressure on the opposition ball carrier can’t be underestimated, but is it sustainable? I want to see it over the next fortnight before I start to buy in.

A few notes on individuals. Boy am I glad the brains trust were of the same mind as me and went against the BF masses by keeping Cox in the line up. That was perhaps the most influential 5 possession game I’ve ever seen from a KPF, big tick. The growth of Matt Scharenberg. I always knew he’d make it, but I’m now actually starting to think he could take it a step further and approach the level many predicted on draft night 2013. Baby steps of course, but the way he not only dealt with Jenkins, but repelled with a cool head was a breath of fresh air. The lesser lights in JT, Aish and Brown have stepped the **** up, as Maxy would say, and the sense of growth is palpable.

Unfortunately it’s not all peaches and cream on the individual front because we’re carrying a few despite the uplift in form. I’ll start with most to least disappointing. Maynard I actually think his footy IQ is regressing not improving with time I can’t think of many guys that can be as dumb as him on a footy field. It’s both frustrating and disappointing because of the high hopes I had for him entering 2018. Crocker if he doesn’t mark it in space or on the lead he’s a non event. There were two times where he stood a metre from a Crows opponent and let them win the ball. He just watched. No action was taken to tackle or win it himself. If he were looking dangerous all the time I could accept that, but he isn’t there yet offensively which is making it hard to justify his spot. With Fasolo breathing down his neck I expected more. Langdon doesn’t disappoint me because this is what I expect of him he’s lazy and plays with zero intent unless he’s left to do his own thing. Literally the only positive skill he brings to the table is his intercept marking which is only an asset when he’s allowed to be on his own and run from the side of the contest. Clubs have wisened up to it and are taking it away from him leaving him one of the most limited players on our list. The thing is like some others, Blair and Smith, these flaws continue to be overlooked.

Projecting forward to ANZAC Day and I’m not sure who they’ll choose between Merrett and Heppell to shut down. The positive is we have an option now for either of them. I would normally suggest that Orazio is one we need to lockdown on, but like Betts last night I think the bulk of the work will be done on him from the contest. If we don’t allow them quick ball the rest will take care of itself. As for changes.

In: Fasolo and Mayne
Out: Crocker and Maynard

I don’t expect either of Adams or Elliott will get up for this one and TBH I think they’ll both be held back until the Brisbane match. I think Fasolo for Crocker is pretty self explanatory. The other though is sure to be met with “who are you? And what have you done with the real Scodog10?”, but Maynard deserves to be dropped and I’m not as opposed to Mayne the defender as I am Mayne the forward. One thing he has that Maynard does not is a brain and he’s a hard worker. This will be his last shot and one thing I will back Mayne in to do is do everything he can to take it. At the back end of 2016 he was thrown back by Lyon when it became obvious his days as a forward at the top level were over and the results were positive. I’m not going to say it will work, but I’d like a look at it personally. As an aside if Moore gets up, doubtful although a chance, I’d give him the nod over Langdon.

We have momentum now and if we can capitalise over the next 3 weeks I think we set ourselves up, but this is when we’re most vulnerable because we’ve had results like this before and gone to water the next week. It’s essential to maintain the rage and cash in!

FWIW that’s the best performance from a ruckman this century, IMO. 30+ possessions, 10+ hitouts to advantage, 10+ clearances and 10+ contested possessions is the AFL equivalent of a quadruple double. I don’t think I’ll see a more complete ruck performance in the next decade and that goal was the icing on the top. Congratulations Brodie and thank **** the club scrapped the bloody 50-50 ruck split with Cox!!

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we can keep this momentum up, there going to be some hard decisions at the selection table. Wells, Moore Elliott and fasolo, where do they play and who goes out. Plus then there’s daicos, Wills sier who are starting to put there hand up. Then what to do with Mayne and Blair if they keep preforming.
Nice position to be in if we keep getting these wins

I do live in Adelaide and was very happy with that result! And last night's!!
What amused me the most was that they were so confident about beating Richmond, that they'd already made up 30,000 water bottles with "CROWS PREMIERS 2017", to hand out at their family day. Whoops.....

Anyway, I digress from last night's excellent result for the Pies. All the best for the rest of the season.

Apologies in advance for the wordy post ahead I’ve been waiting for performances like last night for some time and we just need to bring it consistently. I can’t put it any other way that it was a fantastic result to highlight exactly what’s been missing over the past few years.

As many would know I’ve been bigger than most on our talent over that period we’ve struggled and know that it isn’t what’s been holding us back. Our issues have been primarily related to a few glaring deficiencies:

1. Structure
2. Fundamentals
3. Synergy/ connection
4. Ball movement

Around the contest and in defense our structure has seen woeful at times yet over the past few weeks we seem to have stopped over committing numbers inside the contest and we’re not pressing up as high in defense. We now have a few cool heads down back in Dunn, Howe and Scharenberg (amazing role on Jenkins) which is certainly helping. Of the highlighted areas I’d say this is the one we’re most in control of and is the most likely to remain positive.

When was the last time our fundamentals have been that bang on? No fumbling, players blocking at the right times, no handballs to guys standing still, smothers and knock ons. It was Hawthornesque and requires no talent whatsoever just footy IQ and intent to execute.

The past fortnight has actually been startling in terms of our connection with ball in hand. It’s almost as if something has clicked and some amongst the group just now get that if they’re in a certain spot at a certain time they’ll gain possession. It’s not rocket science or anything related to change in personel, but rather the result of adherence to a game plan.

I’m not a big fan of individualising, but it’s impossible not to in this area because Our improving ball movement is impacted so overwhelmingly by one man, Sam Murray! He is rough around the edges and will slow down as the grind of an AFL season catches up, however he’s done wonders for our movement. He plays with an intent that was missing since Shaw left and its infectious. Ignoring the ridiculous trade cost for his services he’s the best colplimentary trade we’ve made since Clement.

I’m sure we all enjoyed last nights performance, but unfortunately it’s not yet a trend. We again did some very “un-Collingwood” things and it remains to be seen if they can be replicated I mean who saw Sidebottom to Sloane coming? Does anyone remember our forward third being that open? When has entry I50 ever been that effective? The benefits of quick ball movement in transition and pressure on the opposition ball carrier can’t be underestimated, but is it sustainable? I want to see it over the next fortnight before I start to buy in.

A few notes on individuals. Boy am I glad the brains trust were of the same mind as me and went against the BF masses by keeping Cox in the line up. That was perhaps the most influential 5 possession game I’ve ever seen from a KPF, big tick. The growth of Matt Scharenberg. I always knew he’d make it, but I’m now actually starting to think he could take it a step further and approach the level many predicted on draft night 2013. Baby steps of course, but the way he not only dealt with Jenkins, but repelled with a cool head was a breath of fresh air. The lesser lights in JT, Aish and Brown have stepped the **** up, as Maxy, would say, and the sense of growth is palpable.

Unfortunately it’s not all peaches and cream on the individual front because we’re carrying a few despite the uplift in form. I’ll start with most to least disappointing. Maynard I actually think his footy IQ is regressing not improving with time I can’t think of many guys that can be as dumb as him on a footy field. It’s both frustrating and disappointing because of the high hopes I had for him entering 2018. Crocker if he doesn’t mark it in space or on the lead he’s a non event. There were two times where he stood a metre from a Crows opponent and let them win the ball. He just watched. No action was taken to tackle or win it himself. If he were looking dangerous all the time I could accept that, but he isn’t there yet offensively which is making it hard to justify his spot. With Fasolo breathing down his neck I expected more. Langdon doesn’t disappoint me because this is what I expect of him he’s lazy and plays with zero intent unless he’s left to do his own thing. Literally the only positive skill he brings to the table is his intercept marking which is only an asset when he’s allowed to be on his own and run from the side of the contest. Clubs have wisened up to it and are taking it away from him leaving him one of the most limited players on our list. The thing is like some others, Blair and Smith, these flaws continue to be overlooked.

Projecting forward to ANZAC Day and I’m not sure who they’ll choose between Merrett and Heppell to shut down. The positive is we have an option now for either of them. I would normally suggest that Orazio is one we need to lockdown on, but like Betts last night I think the bulk of the work will be done on him from the contest. If we don’t allow them quick ball the rest will take care of itself. As for changes.

In: Fasolo and Mayne
Out: Crocker and Maynard

I don’t expect either of Adams or Elliott will get up for this one and TBH I think they’ll both be held back until the Brisbane match. I think Fasolo for Crocker is pretty self explanatory. The other though is sure to be met with “who are you? And what have you done with the real Scodog10?”, but Maynard deserves to be dropped and I’m not as opposed to Mayne the defender as I am Mayne the forward. One thing he has that Maynard does not is a brain and he’s a hard worker. This will be his last shot and one thing I will back Mayne in to do is do everything he can to take it. At the back end of 2016 he was thrown back by Lyon when it became obvious his days as a forward at the top level were over and the results were positive. I’m not going to say it will work, but I’d like a look at it personally. As an aside if Moore gets up, doubtful although a chance, I’d give him the nod over Langdon.

We have momentum now and if we can capitalise over the next 3 weeks I think we set ourselves up, but this is when we’re most vulnerable because we’ve had results like this before and gone to water the next week. It’s essential to maintain the rage and cash in!

FWIW that’s the best performance from a ruckman this century, IMO. 30+ possessions, 10+ hitouts to advantage, 10+ clearances and 10+ contested possessions is the AFL equivalent of a quadruple double. I don’t think I’ll see a more complete ruck performance in the next decade and that goal was the icing on the top. Congratulations Brodie and thank **** the club scrapped the bloody 50-50 ruck split with Cox!!
What do you make of our use of handball? We appear confident to use it to get out of defence.

Best performance under Buckley, sensational! Took 7 years better late then never, just wondering if our new assistants have made a difference? our have the assistance's have more of a say? players breathtaking all 22
I think so rapt to have Whiskas on board there was a good article on him taking JDG under his wing.
Also great to have Maxy back, no coincidence the culture looks to be getting better.

Didn't I tell yaz re..

Grundy long torso.. short legs.. low centre of gravity for a big man.. will get high possessions from him cause he can get on the ground better than your standard ruckman..

Genius from the Gimp right there again re..

**** I should be a recruiter re.. get a high quality soccer brain in there re..

Never doubted the list.. sharp eye for talent.

I think Hyne needs a bloke like me by his side re..

What do you make of our use of handball? We appear confident to use it to get out of defence.

We’ve always relied heavily on using it by hand under Buckley the key difference is that in 14-17 with zero purpose to it. For 6 of the past 8 quarters though it appears that we’ve started to use it with positive intent. It’s either going laterally to moving targets or backward to release and seems to be going to stationary targets less and less.

Without looking at this stage I’d say the overall number has either increased or remained steady to last year. Last year we always looked like we were over possessing and now it looks like we have purpose because of a) the movement and b) the connection. If you were looking for a comparison to the Bulldogs when Buckley spoke at the member forum in early September 2016 last night was it.

I query whether we can maintain the rage and I’ll be late to buy in on it as a trend, but I’ll certainly acknowledge the work of the group and FD I’m turning it around when it does work in isolation. One point to remember is that effort from Adelaide at the coal face was perhaps the worst under Pyke. It was a good result yes, but also one that could be easily overrated. What did you see in that result?

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Awesome, and some would say, unexpected win to the Pies over the Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

Back