Back to being hated Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Good post Mr Mojo Risin. I understand the frustration from opposition fans, football is an emotional game and we all have an interest in it being fair and balanced.

OK, this post ended up a lot longer than I expected... better than posting in 14 different threads though I guess.

Our run at home/and away is generally good, and the usual reasons given are
- The crowd influences the umpires
- The players play for free kicks

However, they are consistant across other teams. It is more pronouced here than other grounds due to the size of the home crowd in relation to the away side. We play at Subiaco particularly well, with 17 wins in a row now. Playing for free kicks is a league wide issue that we have been the main focus of.

The 'West Coast umpiring' issue is a self fulfilling prophecy. We have more attention on us every week in regards to umpiring, which is why the 'errors' in our favour are noted and against us are ignored. The Joseph one is a great example, when the exact same free kick was paid against Kerr twice in the Carlton forward line. The umpiring was not much in our favour relative to pretty much every other game we've played this year, if anything the 17-7 free kicks paid to Carlton after quarter time indicates the opposite. But the hysteria surrounding us and umpiring is so strong every issue is magnified to the extreme.

The thing is that umpiring is a complex issue, and too many people put it down to one particular factor (whether that's home ground, players cheating, umpires biased, conspiracy or whatever) without realising that is a combination of factors that lead to these results. The umpires are not biased, and do not go out to favour one team over another. They umpire the game as they are told to umpire it, but are guilty of the same perceptual errors as the rest of us, the difference is they are trying to adjudicate in one of the toughest sports in the world while trying to ignore external crowd factors, players appealing and issues brought up during the week.

Any particular indicator like free kick stats don't really tell you anything. Last year our free kick differential home (+2.9/game) and away (+1.8/game) was quite close, despite our form being much better at home, and our +18 away goes against the 'home ground bias' theory. Our free kicks in wins (+2.3/game) were worse than in losses (+3.7/game) which goes against the 'best team wins more free kicks' theory. In 2010, when winning the wooden spoon, we won the most free kicks and had the best differential.

oreillycantexplain1.jpg

These are the factors that indicate why we win a lot of free kicks
- Our strengths are in areas that traditionally win more free kicks- inside mids, dominant ruckmen and power forwards. As a comparison, Hawthorn regularly lose the free kick count, a lot due to battling ruckmen giving away frees, an undisciplined/'unsociable' game style, poor defenders and ill-disciplined forwards like Franklin
- We have players that are adept at winning free kicks- This is undeniable. Luke Shuey, Adam Selwood, Scott Selwood and Ashton Hams are able to twist into poor tackles and win free kicks. Regardless of what you think of the tactic, it is more pronouced against bad teams with poor tackling techniques. Dean Cox is a masterful ruckman and he wins a lot of free kicks due to better positioning against his opponent.
- The umpires are influenced by the home crowd- League wide factor, but amplified at Subiaco because of the size of the crowd

And the factors why we give away relatively few free kicks
- Well drilled side- in every year Worsfold has coached us we have been in the bottom 5 for frees against and had a positive differential
- We don't fall into the same traps as teams against us, which is why we very rarely give away head high free kicks
- I think that we are one of the best sides in adapting to interpretations in rules are knowing where the line is, and a lot of the credit for this has to go to the coaches
- As above, our areas of strength are in the ruck with Cox/Naitanui, a great defence with players like Glass and contested winning mids. Umpires can be influenced by the profile of players, which is why Glass and Cox can sometimes get away with more than other players in their position. Again this is a league wide issue, see Judd and HTB or Riewoldt as a forward

There is no conspiracy, there is no mysterious influence at work, all of these are issues that are quite obvious to people who take more than a DreamTeam look at games and trends. The reasons this is such an issue now and not in 2010 when the same factors were there is mainly because we are winning games. It is also easier for opposition coaches to blame umpiring rather than acknowledge their own teams shortcomings and how they could get better.

If the AFL thinks that it is an issue and want to adress it, they have only a few options
- Tell umpires to ignore the crowd, player influence and profile. I'm sure they already do this, and it's much easier said than done.
- Instruct umpires to not pay free kicks for 'ducking' or intiating contact. They do this already as well, but they can always reinforce it.
- Get umpires to umpire inside a bubble above the ground. The most sensible option.

As Kerry Packer once said to me, "don't get bitter, get better". Clubs should focus on how they can tackle better and play smarter. Fans can say what they like, but for the most part as an Eagles fans it's amusing rather than annoying, because the analysis is so poor and biased, it usually doesn't merit serious responses, which is why I'm posting this here rather than Bay 13 the main board. You'd expect better than what you get from the media, however.

Quinz - what's your address? I need to send through your Post of the Year Award 2012.

Seriously, that summed it up precisely. We are the best team in the comp at knowing how to play within the rules, both with construing errant tackles and one-on-one defensive wrestling.

Whether the rules need to be changed is not our problem. But why the fornicate Middleton would the umpires 'let us win by gifting us free kicks and then even up the tally once the game is won', as some ridiculous Carlton sook mentioned on their board???

Also, I can't believe the Eagles crowd is getting criticised for being belligerent?? Surely as long as we're not racially abusing the players or throwing bottles we can be as noisy and one-sided as we want?

the judd 50m penalty was awful.I would whinge about that too,but when you see them bringing up how we tanked to get Darling you know you arent dealing with a sane person.And a carltank supporter at that.

Fantastic post Quinz, addresses all issues. I've often said that the differential is largely due to Eagles being a well-drilled side that doesn't give away many free kicks, and the stats seem to support this

Also, I can't believe the Eagles crowd is getting criticised for being belligerent?? Surely as long as we're not racially abusing the players or throwing bottles we can be as noisy and one-sided as we want?

If we aren't loud then there are criticisms of crowd age and lack of true passion. Not too hot, not too cold, we must be juuust right

Haha, theres even a thread on the Norf board whinging about last night
the judd 50m penalty was awful.I would whinge about that too,but when you see them bringing up how we tanked to get Darling you know you arent dealing with a sane person.And a carltank supporter at that.

He was warned repeatedly to pull his head in and he didn't. What is so hard to understand about it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good post quinzate1. Not sure why anybodies bothering arguing in the main board threads. Nobody in the history of the internet has changed their opinion based on anything. You realise pretty quickly who the waste of space posters are, every club has them.

Victorians now complaing about home town umpiring in the Adelaide v St Kilda game thread.

I would hate to be Victorian.
I live here, have for just under 5 years now.

They are mostly good people (but I tend to go on the aggresive on footy issues). To be honest most people I talk to actually quite like the Eagles, and find the whole ducking/umpires thing a bit of a laugh that they play along with. And that includes Pies fans. Carlton fans (in my experience) can be a bit different.....

I live here, have for just under 5 years now.

They are mostly good people (but I tend to go on the aggresive on footy issues). To be honest most people I talk to actually quite like the Eagles, and find the whole ducking/umpires thing a bit of a laugh that they play along with. And that includes Pies fans. Carlton fams (in my experience) are a bit different.....

Yeah, 80% of my relatives are Victorians.

Bigfooty posters on the other hand...

Good for a laugh and hopefully most of them are taking the piss.

Yeah, 80% of my relatives are Victorians.

Bigfooty posters on the other hand...

Good for a laugh and hopefully most of them are taking the piss.
At work when the Eagles come up (I work in construction so plenty of footy talk) I generally get a comment about umpires or ducking that lasts about 20 seconds, then a detailed conversation about either
  • the strength of our list and where that came from
  • John Worsfold
  • The big guys, specifically Cox, Naita and JK
  • Jack Darling and how we got him, or
  • young mids - Shuey, Gaff, Selwwod, Masten (interestingly plenty of these guys are far more upbeat on Masten that our own fans - they only started seeing him his year)
I'm regularly impressed by how much people know about our club/players

And the factors why we give away relatively few free kicks
- Well drilled side- in every year Worsfold has coached us we have been in the bottom 5 for frees against and had a positive differential
- We don't fall into the same traps as teams against us, which is why we very rarely give away head high free kicks
- I think that we are one of the best sides in adapting to interpretations in rules are knowing where the line is, and a lot of the credit for this has to go to the coaches
One thing I have noticed this year (and the stats back it up) is that we don't actually tackle much. We're the lowest tackling side in the comp. We tackle when we have to, but I've certainly noticed our players hold back when opposition players are in close or on the ground. A guy in that situation isn't going anywhere anyway, so our players just keep their feet and either wait for the opposition to make the contact trying to get free or wait for the handpass out (which with players on their feet surrounding the contest we have a good chance of intercepting).

Love Quinz post. Big ups!
I boo Juddy whenever I go to the footy. It's called home town advantage. Who leaves a sinking ship? The women and children. Certainly not the Captain. If he didn't want to be Cap he should have said,'No I'll be off to Carlton on a five for shedloads soon - thanks'. Racked off when we needed our captain most. Glassy for PM.
I just got to Melbs last night. You know how they have the 'Snapshots' section when they report on each footy game in the West? They have that in the Herald Sun too, except it should be called 'Four Whinges' instead of 'Four Points'. This was yesterdays tripe -
1. Sook about first quarter tackle count.
2. Whinge about their precious Judd getting booed. (Rightly so - Turncoat)
3. Massive whinge about umpires.
4. & seriously, this one's the best... a Whinge that the AFL ruined Carlton's chances of winning due to scheduling.
Oh please. Sam Landsberger wrote this tripe. Is he some work experience kid at the Herald?

I quite like Victorians as a sub-species, they aren't so bad. The whinging agenda driven Victorian football media are another story though.. The Game Plan on One not included.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back to being hated Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back