Trade Requested Bailey Smith - Reportedly headed to Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Cats won the Premiership with a bunch of unheralded outside first round picks and rookie draft players. They literally nicknamed themselves "The Misfits" because of their unique backgrounds.

I'm curious as to what "inequality" the Cats had access to with those players? Or do you mean the two free agents that they had to PAY for in Jezza and Danger? Hasn't happened before or since to any other team in the entire League and it happened TWICE to the Cats :tearsofjoy: Should Cats be complaining they had to pay when no one else did?

Or do you mean old ass Hawkins who was a Father/Son and Cats paid the basic equivalent of what team's pay for Father Sons now? I hope you're kicking up a huge stink over the Premiers getting Levi Ashcroft and paying a bunch of nothing to get him?

The F/S, academy system and Northern Academy systems clearly need fixing, i'm not the one trying to make claims that the system is beneficial to one team and not to another.

But this is besides the point, the narrative Smith is leaving a battler and joining a dynasty squad is freaking hilarious. Everyone had Geelong not even making the 8 going into the season, comments about a good coach dragging a shit list to a top 4 spot have been ongoing all year until now....now it's they are rigging the cap and "inequalities"...

Schrodingers Geelong Cat...they are a shit list with a good coach that gets the most out of them that is also stacked with superstars and paying everyone under the table. It's unhinged!

Didn’t you have to pay for Cameron and Dangerfield because they were free agents and their respective former clubs matched your bids? Therefore you had to trade for them? Isn’t that how it works?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The club has the final say and right now they want Geelong to come up with a better offer. Otherwise he's off and racing to the draft.

The player has the final say because they either agree to a trade to his chosen club or they lose him for nothing and he probably gets to his chosen club in the draft anyway. Like it or not this is the broken system when a player is OOC.

If other teams are discouraged from drafting him with a random pick in the teens, is that not tampering?

It is but when have you ever seen the afl threaten to sanction a high profile player for it? They look the other way because they are scared of the AFLPA who they have allowed to get the whip hand.

That is not treating a player you want with the respect that they deserve and expect. That would be a very anxious 6 weeks for that player. And no guarantee that they will end up at the club they want. That would be incredibly poor form on that clubs behalf imo. This it’s incumbent on the Cats to ensure they get the deal done. They’ll speculate otherwise but everyone knows the reality.

Whether you're right or not on the ethics it doesn't change the reality that he would likely to get to 17 as clubs are too scared to pick these players if they refuse to talk to them and against their will. Personally I think they should change the system but it is what it is. The dogs and cats know this which is why power will eventually compromise on Wednesday.

This is a very simple but important point and gets to the crux of how broken the system is. Should a club be allowed to “trade” for a player they can’t “afford”. Surely some value has to be placed on out of contract players who haven’t reached FA. For another thread though as this isn’t unique to Geelong.
I think they can afford it.
The have 2 first round picks.
They are choosing not to use them that's different

Didn’t you have to pay for Cameron and Dangerfield because they were free agents and their respective former clubs matched your bids? Therefore you had to trade for them? Isn’t that how it works?

That's...that's the point.
I was asking what "inequality" Cats were benefiting from, Cats the only team to have to "pay up" for matched Free Agents.
If anything, they've paid more than anyone else has.

I'm trying to get to the crux of what Cats have been afforded that others haven't.
In relation to Bailey Smith, it makes zero sense for anyone to imply this is anything more than a standard trade between two club.

The middle would be the suns pick. If cats can acquire that I’d agree.

That's...not the middle?

Season 4 What GIF by The Office

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dogs are asking for a top 10 pick (which is too much), cats asking for 17 to get it done (which is too little), by definition 13/14 is the middle.
Because the club are asking for a top 10 pick doesn’t mean we will get it

Geelong can only give up what they have.

That’s factually incorrect. Just take a look back at the last few years trade periods. If a club has needed a higher pick, it has traded to get it.
This whole “but we only have 17” is embarrassing nonsense.
Not saying that Geelong will, but clubs do and have done so.
Maybe Geelong are in fact trying to trade up a few spots. Time will tell.

That's...that's the point.
I was asking what "inequality" Cats were benefiting from, Cats the only team to have to "pay up" for matched Free Agents.
If anything, they've paid more than anyone else has.

I'm trying to get to the crux of what Cats have been afforded that others haven't.
In relation to Bailey Smith, it makes zero sense for anyone to imply this is anything more than a standard trade between two club.

But you were trying to imply that it was unfair that Geelong had to pay up for Cameron & Dangerfield and no other club has had to. You were just ‘unlucky’ that the former clubs matched your offers. You weren’t being victimised. There was nothing unfair about it.

With Bailey Smith though, it seems Geelong supporters think the Bulldogs should just accept the Cats offer and like it. If you went into a store and saw a coat or a pair of shoes you liked and the price tag said $500, how do you think the salesperson would react if you said ‘Well I only have $300 so you should just take that’?
Not well I suspect.

Let’s hope something reasonable for everybody can be worked out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Requested Bailey Smith - Reportedly headed to Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Back