Ballarat Football League

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
can any one tell me how Aaron Clark is going??? heard he is coaching a good young side..how is his form going close family mate of mine would appreciate the favour of telling me.:)

I think that if you have a look at the players darley played last year you would have found it very surprising if they didn't improve dramatically regardless of who they recruited. The thing i find surprising is how so many people only judge a sides improvement on the names they have recruited. It would be fair to say that the league standard has dropped slightly but the number of young players (17-23) is as high as ever and is only beneficial for a league that was unlucky to not win the Div 1 interleague? Are we maybe overlooking all of our local talent? or has all football in country victoria dropped off?:eek:

I don't think Darley's list was that impresssive which was reflected in where they finished up. Take Newman, cheevers etc out and they would not be performing that well. It is always good to get a recruit as they can lessen the burden on the younger players as it takes time for them to develop and may push them from key position to a flank etc.

Some leagues have definitely dropped off as the TAC cup takes good kids, the VFL impacts on sides as they fill their playing stocks and experienced players are being offered too much money to play in lesser leagues. The 24-28 age bracket does not have a large pool of players.

can any one tell me how Aaron Clark is going??? heard he is coaching a good young side..how is his form going close family mate of mine would appreciate the favour of telling me.:)

Seems to speak OK but the good young team will test his patience. Needs some good assistants off the field as it is always hard for a playing coach.

Which clubs in the BFL would have had the most players play VFL/AFL football? Of recent times Ballarat has had Drew Petrie and the Brown twins while names like Lockett, Frawley, Heath Scotland all spring to mind. Can someone from each club compile a list, will be interesting to see?

I don't think Darley's list was that impresssive which was reflected in where they finished up. Take Newman, cheevers etc out and they would not be performing that well. It is always good to get a recruit as they can lessen the burden on the younger players as it takes time for them to develop and may push them from key position to a flank etc.

Some leagues have definitely dropped off as the TAC cup takes good kids, the VFL impacts on sides as they fill their playing stocks and experienced players are being offered too much money to play in lesser leagues. The 24-28 age bracket does not have a large pool of players.
If you took Newman, Cheevers out of darleys side they might not be 5 and 0 but they still would be going alright. You have to remember a lot of young kids got a full season under there belts last year plus what i hear is theres still a few to come into that side

Which clubs in the BFL would have had the most players play VFL/AFL football? Of recent times Ballarat has had Drew Petrie and the Brown twins while names like Lockett, Frawley, Heath Scotland all spring to mind. Can someone from each club compile a list, will be interesting to see?

Redans players are.

Jack Atkinson (Richmond), Ian Baker (St Kilda/Richmond), Graham Gellie (St Kilda), Russell Tweeddale (St Kilda/Footscray), Greg Packham (St Kilda), Ray Murphy (North Melbourne), Len Templar (North Melbourne), Bob Stewart (North Melbourne), Ken Delaland (North Melbourne), Ian Burt (Essendon), Ron Andrews (Essendon/Collingwood), Greg Wood (Melbourne), Graeme Willey (Essendon), Les Borrack (Geelong), Bill McKenzie (Richmond), Barry Cheatley (North Melbourne), Neil Trezise (Geelong), Claude Howard (Richmond), Phil Walsh (Richmond/Collinwood/Brisbane), Bill 'Boo' Jenkins (Richmond), Stan Wallis (Footscray), Shaun Grigg (Carlton)

If you took Newman, Cheevers out of darleys side they might not be 5 and 0 but they still would be going alright. You have to remember a lot of young kids got a full season under there belts last year plus what i hear is theres still a few to come into that side

Not just a two man show at Darley Oracle. plenty of guys stepping up to the plate and those two are fulfilling the roles that coach learmonth felt needed to be addressed.

You would be amazed at the number of young darley players have almost played 50 games of senior footy. This was started by Matt power and last year the young fellas had even more responsibility under coach learmonth due to the clean out. Players like king, edwards, herring, gundry, smithwick, robbins, young, freestone, minns, whitney, sexton etc. All under 23, played plenty of senior footy and now have older players in miller, guerra, deckert, digger edwards & cape fulfilling their main roles and cheevers, newman & tuddy edwards adding the class. Only 3 recruits in the club the rest locals which has also boosted morale team spirit around teh club.

The league also has plenty of quality talent. Watched interleague training last week when it was at Darley and they will have the best squad for years. Maybe no ex AFL players but they are a keen bunch playing with a bit of pride for the league.

Oracle - your a negative tool.

Not just a two man show at Darley Oracle. plenty of guys stepping up to the plate and those two are fulfilling the roles that coach learmonth felt needed to be addressed.

You would be amazed at the number of young darley players have almost played 50 games of senior footy. This was started by Matt power and last year the young fellas had even more responsibility under coach learmonth due to the clean out. Players like king, edwards, herring, gundry, smithwick, robbins, young, freestone, minns, whitney, sexton etc. All under 23, played plenty of senior footy and now have older players in miller, guerra, deckert, digger edwards & cape fulfilling their main roles and cheevers, newman & tuddy edwards adding the class. Only 3 recruits in the club the rest locals which has also boosted morale team spirit around teh club.

On a completely different note, are we forgetting that Miller is the same age as the three other highlighted names. with plenty of years to come is it possible he could become one of the biggest names in BFL history? big call i know but he definately does things that are amazing to watch. Some feedback on some recently retired/ still active players that had such an impact on the game at the same age? especially considering he spent 2 years out of his Darley senior career, one at the Jet's and one at Coburg.

The league also has plenty of quality talent. Watched interleague training last week when it was at Darley and they will have the best squad for years. Maybe no ex AFL players but they are a keen bunch playing with a bit of pride for the league.

Oracle - your a negative tool. that's a given

On a completely different note, are we forgetting that Miller is the same age as the three other highlighted names. with plenty of years to come is it possible he could become one of the biggest names in BFL history? big call i know but he definately does things that are amazing to watch. Some feedback on some recently retired/ still active players that had such an impact on the game at the same age? especially considering he spent 2 years out of his Darley senior career, one at the Jet's and one at Coburg.

Oracle - your a negative tool. that's a given

Sorry boys, not negative just a realist. Ballarat went through the same process and are just starting to reap the rewards. Have lost some gun players in Harris Finny etc which would have benefited us this year.

BFL Drafted Players Year Name Club AFL Club 2006 Shaun Grigg Redan Carlton 2006 Mitchell Brown Ballarat West Coast Eagles 2006 James Frawley East Ballarat Melbourne 2006 Nathan Brown Ballarat Collingwood 2005 Stephen Owen North Ballarat Geelong 2002 Tristin Cartledge North Ballarat Essendon 2002 Cameron Wright Sunbury Western Bulldogs 2001 Paul Chambers Melton South Geelong 2001 James Kelly Sunbury Geelong 2001 David Johnson Sunbury Geelong 2000 Drew Petrie Ballarat Kangaroos 1998 Ben Haynes Melton South Richmond 1998 Heath Scotland Darley Collingwood 1997 James McDonald Ballarat Y.C.W Melbourne 1997 James Walker Lake Wendouree Fremantle 1994 Tony Bourke East Ballarat Carlton 1994 Mark Orchards East Ballarat Collingwood 1992 Kierian Murrihy North Ballarat Essendon 1991 Peter Jacks Ballarat Y.C.W Western Bulldogs 1990 Luan Morley North Ballarat Hawthorn 1990 Anthony McDonald Ballarat Y.C.W Carlton 1990 Jamie Grant Daylesford Western Bulldogs 1990 Rod Gladman East Ballarat Collingwood 1990 Dale Lewis North Ballarat Sydney 1989 Sturat Annand Redan St. Kilda 1989 Glen Wilkins North Ballarat Sydney 1989 Jamie Elliott Marybrough Fitztroy 1989 Chris Sharp East Ballarat Hawthorn 1989 Andrew Venner Ballarat Y.C.W North Melbourne 1989 Daryl Groves Marybrough Collingwood 1988 Shaun Holloway Ballarat Y.C.W North Melbourne 1988 Paul Hill North Ballarat Essendon 1988 Chris Grant Daylesford Western Bulldogs 1988 Justin McGrath Ballarat Y.C.W Hawthorn 1988 Jamie Bond Beaufort Hawthorn 1988 Andrew Ford North Ballarat Melbourne 1988 David Regan East Ballarat Essendon 1988 Alex McDonald Ballarat Y.C.W Hawthorn 1987 Brendan Tranter Marybrough Collingwood 1987 John Polkinghorne North Ballarat Hawthorn

Taken from BFL Web Site.

The club has also produced many fine players who have gone to play at higher levels. These include Collingwood Brownlow Medallist Marcus Whelan, Wayne Closter a 200 game player with Geelong, and more recently Heath Scotland drafted to Collingwood in 1999 who is now playing fine football with Carlton.

Taken from Darley Web site.

http://www.eastpointfnc.vcfl.com.au/_uploads/res/265_6926.pdf

Taken from East Point Web site:

After looking on club web sites their must be more players who have played VFL or AFL, if you know then please submit as i agree that it would be interesting to see who from each club has played at the highest level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It would be good compare the best VFL/AFL players to come from each league by making a best team of VFL/AFL players from each league

How did Tuddy go against his old side in melton on the weekend. Did any of the melton boys try and rough him up a bit.
Melton dont have anyone to rough him up,the webber brothers are ment to have a bit of go but thats all front. two are hacks and one was half alright at making pizza's
The only bit of roughing up tuddy got was from some fat pig eating a four & twenty behind the goals at the toolern vale end. he said three words in the wram up and thats it.

Chieftont here trendsetters- HOLD ON TO YOUR SEATS, the great man is back and straight on the attack. After receiving my 5 day vacation from the always sensational moderator here at big footy i was found to have imported a somewhat disastrous virus on my pc. Now its not the type of virus that Matty Sutton had in the first round of the season (also known as the darley flu) but it annoyed me all the same. Well what can the great man say other than its great to back and its great to be supporting a team that is 5 and 0 while all you other turkeys on the other side of the bridge are pennyless, ugly and in desperate need of a girlfriend that isn't related. What a big fortnight it has been in football- Darley won again, Hutchy wore 38 inch waisted shorts for the first time for the year (down from a 40- (gee those bickies help Hutch) and poor old Shane Fisher is back in the doldrems after hurting his 83 at Maryborough (wonder what jail tatt he will get to represent this latest failure as a coach?)

Rest easy my friends for the Chief is back, back with the crack, back in attack, chewin on a big mac.... oh and Cam McLeod is still a hack!!!

Chief out
Good to have you back chief...

Whilst we are on the topic of all things Darley-just wondering if someone could answer a couple of questions.Is coach Learsa playing at all in '08 or has he retired?Is Marcus Hastings playing there again-if so how has his season been?And finally Spook Guerra-how has his form been?

LearMOUTH as i call him? not playing- focusing on coaching and doing a real good job... Hastings? Not tellin you anyway, wait and see and Spook Guerra? He is doing well dad and thanks for asking. P.s can you tell mum that the new linen she sent down fits just right.
good to see you back chief, NOT!

Someone told me Hastings will be back later this year, also McGill who is real handy hasnt played yet.

actually nar he is a terrific bloke trust everything that comes out of his mouth!!!probly cant ring him as i havent got his mobile number only see him when he is home!!! better player than you im guessing

I am a die hard devil but there are a few things you dont do in life- dob on your mates, stir Shaun Deckert up when he is drunk, sleep with a Melton South netballer (yuk) or bag the webbers. Them dudes have red hair, freckles and bad attitudes... Melton are 15 Webbers short of a good side. meh..
Thru that, they go off, especially the pizza making one

Lekkas to line for Sunbury

GAVIN MCGRATH
21/05/2008 10:50:00 PM
FORMER Hawthorn midfielder Angelo Lekkas will make his debut with Sunbury in the Ballarat Football League on Saturday.
The 31-year-old will line up against Darley at Darley Park.
Sunbury coach Tony Liberatore has lured Lekkas back to Australian rules football after a year playing soccer.
Lekkas played 180 games for the Hawks. Liberatore said Lekkas had missed playing footy and, when approached by the Lions, indicated he was keen to get on board.
"I'd known (Lekkas) around the traps, from his days at Hawthorn, and we've been speaking for a while," Liberatore said.
"We caught up for breakfast and had a chat to see where he was at.
"He told me he loves his footy and said it would be great to have a run with us and we're really happy to have him.
"We lost 15 players and we've had to make sure we've been able to bring others back to the club," Liberatore said.
Lekkas retired from the AFL in 2005, three months after making his return to the game following a minor stroke.
The 184cm midfielder-forward' last appearance for the Hawks was against Sydney on August 27, 2005.
The new Lion, who represented Australia in the 2002 International Rules series against Ireland, has since received the all clear to play football again. Liberatore denied Lekkas was being paid a lot to play for Sunbury.
"He isn't playing for nothing, but its not a ridiculous amount of money," Liberatore said.
"He'll play on Saturday, but it is hard to say where he'll play. "We are playing a very good side in Darley, and Angelo is very versatile, so it remains to be seen."

javascript:changeFontSize('story',-1);

Lekkas to line for Sunbury

GAVIN MCGRATH
21/05/2008 10:50:00 PM
FORMER Hawthorn midfielder Angelo Lekkas will make his debut with Sunbury in the Ballarat Football League on Saturday.
The 31-year-old will line up against Darley at Darley Park.
Sunbury coach Tony Liberatore has lured Lekkas back to Australian rules football after a year playing soccer.
Lekkas played 180 games for the Hawks. Liberatore said Lekkas had missed playing footy and, when approached by the Lions, indicated he was keen to get on board.
"I'd known (Lekkas) around the traps, from his days at Hawthorn, and we've been speaking for a while," Liberatore said.
"We caught up for breakfast and had a chat to see where he was at.
"He told me he loves his footy and said it would be great to have a run with us and we're really happy to have him.
"We lost 15 players and we've had to make sure we've been able to bring others back to the club," Liberatore said.
Lekkas retired from the AFL in 2005, three months after making his return to the game following a minor stroke.
The 184cm midfielder-forward' last appearance for the Hawks was against Sydney on August 27, 2005.
The new Lion, who represented Australia in the 2002 International Rules series against Ireland, has since received the all clear to play football again. Liberatore denied Lekkas was being paid a lot to play for Sunbury.
"He isn't playing for nothing, but its not a ridiculous amount of money," Liberatore said.
"He'll play on Saturday, but it is hard to say where he'll play. "We are playing a very good side in Darley, and Angelo is very versatile, so it remains to be seen."

javascript:changeFontSize('story',-1);
Did he have a serious long term injury that was life threatening???

Tips for the week

Ballarat v Melton South
Ballarat too strong

Darley v Sunbury
Sunbury in an upset. Still don't rate Darley

Sebas V Bacchus Marsh
Sebas in a close game

Lakers v North City
Lakers easily

Redan v East point
Redan make it two in a row and travelling nicely. Good test for East Point.

Angelo Lekkas looks like a droptail skink on a bad drug and is well past his prime (which wasn't too flash anyway). Anyone wanna bet a sister on Darley Vs Sunbury? I like how Oracle still doesn't rate the devils yet they are unbeaten after round 5. I am by no stretch saying that they are home and hosed but atleast give that they are a genuine threat (especially with still another 3 or 4 blokes to come back).

I'll put my sister up Chief though she has teeth, doen't drink jim beam and wears skirts and dresses and not acid wash jeans:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back