Ban the Bounce

Remove this Banner Ad

The bounce worked when all AFL grounds had cricket wickets in the middle of them and the umpires could get it high in the air and let rucks come from long run ups to compete for the ball.

Most AFL grounds have drop in pitches now which makes the grass far softer and there is the centre circle to prevent rucks have a long run up.

At the start of each quarter, each half or even just the start of the game would be a nice tradition but otherwise there's no need for it. I do hope the umps can throw it up high enough so the rucks are encouraged to jump but most of them do and by training for throwing it up not bouncing they can get more consistent.

Personally I love a good preseason gimmick so I'd actually be getting a drone to drop the ball in the centre square and that way umpires can stand away from the stoppage and watch the play as the ball gets dropped for them.
They might be able to see players getting scragged then

The problem isn't the bounce itself, it's the way it decides the umpires we have.

Think about what you want from an umpire. Someone who can make good decisions quickly. Someone who has a feel for the game. Someone who isn't swayed by tens of thousands of screaming supporters.

But then we also say: you've got to be able to bounce the ball sideways, with all eyes on you, almost every single time.

There must be so many good umpires out there who can't bounce it well enough. Even worse, how many bad umpires do we carry, simply because they can.

We only bounce it at centre bounces these days, and we have at least thirty seconds to do it. Why not have ceremonial centre-bounce umpires, who's only job is to come on, bounce it, and get off again.

Everybody wins: we keep the bounce, the pool of good umpires grows, and we have less crap umpires.

We only bounce it at centre bounces these days, and we have at least thirty seconds to do it. Why not have ceremonial centre-bounce umpires, who's only job is to come on, bounce it, and get off again.

Everybody wins: we keep the bounce, the pool of good umpires grows, and we have less crap umpires.
And they can be booed off the ground as they make their way to the umpire's bench after a bad bounce. Perfect.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Ban the Bounce

Remove this Banner Ad

Back