Barry 05 vs Goddard 10 vs Jesaulenko 70

Remove this Banner Ad

Leo's shouldn't be considered. It was a good mark but technically it wouldn't have even been top 10 for this year. The only thing saving it is context.

Adam Hunter's goal was a shitload more important than the one Buddy snagged this year but it was hardly better.

Context must not be dismissed, let alone dismissed so nonchalantly, when it comes to the most important game of the year.

Context must not be dismissed, let alone dismissed so nonchalantly, when it comes to the most important game of the year.
Of course it should - the OP is comparing two different contexts.

1. Screamers (apples)
2. Match saving deeds (oranges)

Leo Barry's mark is in a different category. If anyone thinks that is a better mark than Goddards then they are on crack.

Jezza's was a great mark, but it was in the second qtr (i think)....so hardly the most high-intensity pressure moment.

Barry's was at a high intensity moment, very good mark, but not spectacular.

Goodard seemed to will himself into that contest, spectacular & high degree of difficulty. It was a high-intensity pressure moment...saved the game (but didn't win it...yet :)

The God because it got a goal that nearly won it.

But the commentary from Jezza's is easily the best.

Yep.

Unfortunately whenever we get a big speccie nowadays the commentary is always:

TAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNTTTTTTT

or

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOODDDDDDDDDDDDAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRDDDDDD

or

RIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLDTTTTTT!!!!!!!111!!11!1!!!

I get MASSIVE goosebumps watching Goddard's mark. It was sensational, even better than his one earlier in the year and better than Liam Jurrah's (although pretty similar).

Leo's shouldn't be considered. It was a good mark but technically it wouldn't have even been top 10 for this year. The only thing saving it is context.

Yes and no.

I don't buy the context thing in one way - if we simplistcly judge on "importance" then a push and shove both feet on the ground grab might end up being the "best".

On the other hand, I rate context in terms of courage to do it. And that leaves Barry the winner.

Back in the day everybody flew for the mark. Swan MacKay took screamers every week. That's how the game was played. Sorry Jezza. best speccie of the three flying onto the shoulders of a 6'6 giant, but not enough.

Goddard - deep in the forward line. No bonus points there. Whats to lose?

Barry has to take it out. Coached to the last fibre of his being to spoil from there, but recognised THE moment and executed the potentially disastrous choice to perfection. Kudos.

Im a Swans man through and through but Leo Barry just isn't in the same league haha.

Goddard's mark was the best of the three. He was standing on Harry O'Brien's head. It was a ****ing epic mark. Probably the best of all time. And Richmond supporters can **** right off Royce Hart is shit. In context, he backed it up with a goal and put the Saints in front. As I said ****ing epic:thumbsu::cool:

Goddard's mark was probably the greatest football moment in my life, so I'm biased. Goddard. :) :thumbsu:

Would be even more memorable IF Saints had won the game.

I'm biased too and Harry Taylor's mark in the dying seconds of the 09 GF almost certainly sealed victory for the Cats. Not as spectatcular as Goodard's, but in the context of the match and end result, more important.

Gen Y poll - 'happened before I was born so not so good' = results not surprising.
Thread needs more David McKay who outmarked Royce Hart on the last line in the 1972 Grand Final.

244x351tcsel003107gcmck.jpg

img0020vg.jpg

img0027k.jpg

402x342davidmckaymark.jpg

Jamison would have punched it away like he did when he had the sit on Jack Riewoldt this year. :p

Jezza's was a great mark, but it was in the second qtr (i think)....so hardly the most high-intensity pressure moment.

Barry's was at a high intensity moment, very good mark, but not spectacular.

Goodard seemed to will himself into that contest, spectacular & high degree of difficulty. It was a high-intensity pressure moment...saved the game (but didn't win it...yet :)
I'm going to go with this. Leo's mark is one of the all time greatest moments in GF history. It was a brilliant mark considering the context. As a mark it was pretty good in any case. But purely as a mark it doesn't compare to the other two. I'm a bit torn between the other two. Jezza's is so famous and was superb. I'd probably go with Goddard purely because of his ability to get up so high late in the final quarter of a grand final.

Leo Barry's mark was the greatest mark of all time IMO, Goddard was very very close.

Both huge in the context of the games, Leo Barry's just that bit better..although it pains me to say it.

Out of the 3 in the poll or every great mark ever taken?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Goddards was better, if it was the deciding points then i would have said his, but Barry's because of the time.

depends what you look for
under 1 criteria (what was better) I would go Goddard's>Barry's>Jesaulenko's

but under another one (what will go down in my memory as greater due to the meaning behind it)
Barry's>Goddard's>Jesaulenko's

I was sitting on ground level in the MCC, directly behind the goddard mark, and im a pies supporter, and my first thought was "i've just seen the greatest mark of all time". I havent changed my mind after looking at it again. Truly spectacular in every sense of the word.

The following reasons I think goddards is best:
- He went up an absolute mile in the air! Harry O is not exactly a small fella, but BJ jumped over him like he was the size of Jarryd Blaire.
- He took it with outstretched hands clean as a whistle, the ball went straight into his hands and did not budge a cm.
- It was in a grand final, in the last 10 minutes when scores were tied, AND resulted in the goal that put them in front.
- He was outnumbered 2 to 1 in the contest.

So I say thank you Brendan Goddard for one of the best football moments I will ever remember, as much as it pained me when it happened. I just hope that I remember it the "mark that almost cost us a premiership"!

Jezza's mark is probably the most over rated and over hyped incident in football history. Okay it happened in an historically important match and the commentary adds to it, but it is essentially a fairly stock standard, easy mark in the middle of the ground which was set up absolutely perfectly for him. Anybody that's played at a higher level than under 14 B's could have taken that mark.

The other 2 in terms of degrees of difficulty and also as important, context, crap all over Jezza's. Please don't cry Carlton fans and old farts. I'm not Gen Y by the way.

Camera angle for Jezza's mark doesn't do it justice. Jenkin was 195cm and Jesaulenko is sitting right on his head.

Leo Barry took a great mark for the time of the game, but it's a pretty stock standard pack mark.

Goddard took a beauty, and while it it looks more crowded than Jezza's, Luke Ball was never in the contest.

For pure style and some bias, I'm going for Jezza's mark.

I don't think Leo Barry's mark was more important. In fact, I think of it as over-hyped tbh.

If you watch the moments prior to Barry's mark, you would see that HE was the one who put it into the advantage of Cox in the first place. All he did was mark the ball he rushed out (in the defensive 50), 5 seconds before the final siren. On top of this, Sydney were ALREADY in front, so you could go into the hypothetical and claim that the ball could have went to ground and locked up anyway. There is no real outcome here. But he didn't win the GF for Sydney, it was already there.

Whereas, St Kilda WERE down for the ENTIRE match, prior to Goddard's mark. The reason why his is more important, to me, is because he followed it up with a goal that not only put St Kilda infront for the first time (and physically saving the game period), but also gave the Saints momentum and belief that they could come back no matter what. Goddard, unlike Barry, was not the catalyst of that ball. With this said, it was also in the most effective area for such a situation, and looked harder too.

Another point I'll make is that Goddard was more of an instrumental player in the 2010 GF, than Barry was in 2005.

By this reasoning, I see Goddard's mark as not only more complex, but more important in the grand scheme of things as well.

218668.jpg

218723.jpg

Yeh, I cant quite agree with you there, no doubt Goddard was magnificent on the weekend, and I truly believe he should have won the Norm Smith as I had a 10er on him, but if I recall correctly, Leo Barry, all 186cm and 88kg of him, kept Michael Gardiner, all 200cm and 100kg+ of him, goalless for the bulk of the game. Considering we won by 4 points, thats pretty important in the context of the game. Dont you think?

Agreed Goddard's was better, but I'd still rather Barry's because of that was the moment that won it. Plus I think more people will remember Leo's.
If Goddard's mark had of been the time of Leo's and then after the siren slotted it to win, then yes Goddard's .

The TV doesn't do Goddard justice. Probably the same with the other 2 but my God that moment watching him just soar up and take it was unbelievable. Was madness.

I can't go past Leo Barry's mark. Will, and always will, be the greatest mark I've ever seen unless another swan can do the same thing in the future. Goddards mark by itself was a tonne better than barry's, but it didn't win them the game, barry's did. Unless saints win this weekend history won't remember it like they will Barry's.

Of course if both marks had no emotional significance on me the outcome could be different.

Remove this Banner Ad

Barry 05 vs Goddard 10 vs Jesaulenko 70

Remove this Banner Ad

Back