Ben Cousins wants a coaching role.

Remove this Banner Ad

As an addict myself it is a really hard thing to get over you cant just turn being an addict off and on im sure him getting involved with any club would be so good for his recovery. i may be different to benny but once i found a job doing something that i enjoyed it changed me for the better still working at the job and have been clean for 4 years now

Did Richmond do enough to try and keep him involved in the game after his retirement? I wonder what advice he was given (not necessarily by the club) prior to his last game.

I still don't understand why he'd go back to the fishbowl in Perth, when he was going alright down here.

He should come back to Victoria and hopefully the Tigers should work something out with him eventually. He said himself, he'll always feel closer to them now rather than the eagles.

Did Richmond do enough to try and keep him involved in the game after his retirement? I wonder what advice he was given (not necessarily by the club) prior to his last game.

I still don't understand why he'd go back to the fishbowl in Perth, when he was going alright down here.

He should come back to Victoria and hopefully the Tigers should work something out with him eventually. He said himself, he'll always feel closer to them now rather than the eagles.

I dont know for sure but I reckon Richmond would take part in some sort of program that would alliw Cousins a chance to prove himself as an assistant coach at some level. I cant see why the Eagles wouldnt offer him the same opportunity if he didnt want to uproot his family from WA. The guy needs opportunities and deserves a go imo.

Well it isn't going to be 'Media want BC to coach is it'

The media ask and approach individuals for stories. They get an inch and they extrapolate.
I'm pretty sure this is being helped along by Barich (sp?), former Weagle and WA lackey media personality.
He was on SEN the other night, pumping up talking about Bennie's chances.
Mentioned how great he'd be, he'd changed etc etc, and amongst other things, Cousins is "probably the best looking bloke in WA". I shit you not.
Quality, unblinkered, journalism; really cutting to the heart of the issue.

He'd have to build up first though, he can't expect to get an AFL level coaching role he'd probably have to prove himself at a low level then hopefully get into WAFL and so on.
I agree with this.

I think one of Ben's biggest problems has always been people willing & able to give him everything he wants, at the drop of a hat, and ignore all his faults and failings.

I think clubs spend enough time worrying about their players. Having to babysit and watch an assistant/ skills coach just wouldn't be worth it.

Shame, as he has plenty to give. Real student of the game and obviously his fitness was second to none
Yep, all true.
Just think that those two opinions (the two clubs he's actually been inside) would probably know better than anyone else; the fact that they've both put him on the "never again" list says a fair bit, and would give everyone else fair cause for concern.

could see him coaching a senior team in the efl, nfl or edfl. Just wondering if a club would have the balls to approach and appoint him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As an addict myself it is a really hard thing to get over you cant just turn being an addict off and on im sure him getting involved with any club would be so good for his recovery. i may be different to benny but once i found a job doing something that i enjoyed it changed me for the better still working at the job and have been clean for 4 years now

Well said mate you've done extremely well, good to have some input from someone who has been there and knows first hand what's required to get his life back on track.:thumbsu: Pleasant change from some of the know all's and critics who only want to criticize and pillory Ben and people like him and just write them off.

Yep, all true.
Just think that those two opinions (the two clubs he's actually been inside) would probably know better than anyone else; the fact that they've both put him on the "never again" list says a fair bit, and would give everyone else fair cause for concern.

Dimma did say whilst talking about next season "not at our club" that doesn't mean never again at the Tiges and the bloke from the other club is a bigfooty poster? Are you seriously that stupid or do you have a grudge or an agenda? You would make a good journo spinning crap like that, full of shit.

I think clubs spend enough time worrying about their players. Having to babysit and watch an assistant/ skills coach just wouldn't be worth it.

Shame, as he has plenty to give. Real student of the game and obviously his fitness was second to none

Sums it up. Dont question what he would have to give. But I would be dumbfounded if we were interested.

Next good football story at our club next year is Kelvin Moore getting back into it as a regular and commercial stations not giving a crap because its a genuine good football comeback.

He'd be useful for showing the boys how to pack a bong and chop a mix. Perhaps also useful for improvising to make a home made bong.

How would you know? If you want to post unsubstantiated shit like that do it on the Bay.

No one can say for certainty that he'll never go back to the Eagles....

However, he's burned an awful lot of bridges at that place. And senior management are very keen to put the whole "drugs & bikies" era behind them.

I reckon he'd make a rip snorter of a coach. I can definitely see it leading to a spike in the membership of any club that took him on.

This is an excellent point: having a job/purpose post playing and a meaning to his life now will be the key to his recovery. A couple of nights ago I watched a documentary on an ESPN channel I have about a former Boston Celtics player and drug addict, Chris Herren, called Unguarded. His was a story similar to Ben's. What I found fantastic about his story was the way that he has found a purpose now following his playing career mentoring others and as a motivational speaker. It was a really inspiring story. I especially remember at the end when he and his wife were saying that they realised that his current life as a mentor/motivational speaker was the reason he was put on this earth NOT as a basketballer. For Ben to still be alive in a few years time, it will require him to find a purpose in life away from playing football. There's no reason that he, like Chris Herren, can't do it and help a lot of addicts while he is at it. He has a long way to go but might need someone to take a chance on him so that he can find a meaning to his life now that he can't play any more. Here's hoping it happens.

Remove this Banner Ad

Ben Cousins wants a coaching role.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back