Ben Cunnington vs Tom Liberatore

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Meh, Ben is a victim of guys like Beams, Wallace, Cotchin, Martin etc, who come in and look at home from day one. Sometimes it takes a couple of years to settle in. Has elite qualities by hand and in traffic, will be outstanding.

Meh, Ben is a victim of guys like Beams, Wallace, Cotchin, Martin etc, who come in and look at home from day one. Sometimes it takes a couple of years to settle in. Has elite qualities by hand and in traffic, will be outstanding.

Just like any half-decent player is a victim of better players being better.

PS- Wallis didn't look at home from day one. He had the same issues as Cunnington last year (albeit it was Wallis' first year, Cunnington still took longer).

What does that have to do with what I posted? The criticisms aimed at Cunnington have been grossly premature.

Your logic was flawed. You said Cunnington was a victim of guys who have been better over their careers. That goes without saying really. He hasn't lived up to the standards of most players of his type, especially top five draft picks.

Your logic was flawed. You said Cunnington was a victim of guys who have been better over their careers. That goes without saying really. He hasn't lived up to the standards of most players of his type, especially top five draft picks.

No, I was saying that guys like Beams, Martin and Cotchin (and now Greene), who immediately perform, mean guys who take a bit longer to come through get judged unfairly in comparison.

Ben is just 21, in his third season. Watson at the same point in his career was averaging 11 touches, before doubling that in his 4th season. Swan didn't really start becoming a ball magnet until his 4th, Scott Thompson his 6th or 7th.

Cunnington wasn't playing so much the insider extracting role he is playing now in previous seasons. He was only rotated through the midfield and spent a lot of gametime in the forward line. Ziebell's injury allowed him to find his position/role in the side and he is travelling very nicely now and living up to standards.

By the Numbers:
Ranked 15th in the league in average clearances, he is the only second year player to make the top 30 in the statistic - and one of only five players in the top 30 with four years’ experience or less. He also found a career best 29 disposals, nine marks, 17 kicks and an equal record two goals. Liberatore had nine or more clearances on four occasions, five or more inside 50s on six occasions and five or more tackles on five occasions.

Be interesting to see how Libba goes from here.

I'd prefer Cunners any day of the week regardless of ability comparisons, with Libba being exposed as a young player with poor character.

Finals are the true mark of a quality player and in Bens first final he stood up and was named amongst his sides best players.

Unfortunately it's going to be a few years before we get to gauge Tom in the cauldron of finals football.

It's best to revisit this thread around 2018 for a better indication.

B
I'd prefer Cunners any day of the week regardless of ability comparisons, with Libba being exposed as a young player with poor character.

The exact same reason I'd take Chris Grant over Wayne Carey.

HTB someone had to be named in your side's best players, regardless of how badly you were beaten.

The exact same reason I'd take Chris Grant over Wayne Carey.

HTB someone had to be named in your side's best players, regardless of how badly you were beaten.

Well, knowing the lack of Bulldogs success you probably would. Carey would have delivered a flag for WB, but Grant wasn't good enough.

Despite that, Libba is a great talent for you guys (IMO more than Cunners) and I hope it isn't wasted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon they're dead even now. Midway through 2012 there was no comparison. Then Cunnington had a consistent run of good form that is arguably the best patch of football that's been played by either player.

Finals are the true mark of a quality player and in Bens first final he stood up and was named amongst his sides best players.

Unfortunately it's going to be a few years before we get to gauge Tom in the cauldron of finals football.

It's best to revisit this thread around 2018 for a better indication.
He stood up with his 5 kicks? I don't think so, tom was looking a lot better before his dramas.

Libba has still been consistently better. A run of half a year of good form (half of which Libba wasn't even playing) doesn't make up the difference between the two.

Well, knowing the lack of Bulldogs success you probably would. Carey would have delivered a flag for WB, but Grant wasn't good enough.

And there's the hypocrisy. You'll discount Libba for lack of character (he is a 19 year old who got caught with a pinger) yet you'll revere carey who is a dog who hits women.

Wow, what a shit thread.
Lock, please? Not even rational discussion. Just a wankfest.

North are always the "victim" arent they ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back