Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Sep 21, 2005
the G.. home of the pies!
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood
Who will have the better career? Just watching some nab cup and saw Ben Kennedy slotting one on the run for Melbourne. Who will have the career?

Kennedy still can't kick.........but I do like the "Daicos Tongue Out" he does!

Out of loyalty to our players, it is very rare that I write off one of our own, even when I bag them it is usually very mild. I try to find the positives in all our players performances. For the life of me however I never understood the plaudits that Ben Kennedy got while at our club.

Every time I saw him he was either having completely unrealistic shots at goal, was butchering the ball by foot or struggling to make it from one contest to the next. Yes he used to tear it up in the twos, but so did Kent Butcher. Yes he was made the sub a lot, but I would have made him sub too. Like I said, he couldn't make multiple contests in a single passage of play, why would you give him a full game? I saw people bemoan his lack of opportunities while I was thinking he was given too many.

I'm quite comfortable seeing him in opposition colours. Kennedy for Howe is a net improvement of our list, there is no doubt in my mind.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ben's last known Collingwood photo, at training doing a drill

Verdict: too short, go elsewhere

image.jpeg

Out of loyalty to our players, it is very rare that I write off one of our own, even when I bag them it is usually very mild. I try to find the positives in all our players performances. For the life of me however I never understood the plaudits that Ben Kennedy got while at our club.

Every time I saw him he was either having completely unrealistic shots at goal, was butchering the ball by foot or struggling to make it from one contest to the next. Yes he used to tear it up in the twos, but so did Kent Butcher. Yes he was made the sub a lot, but I would have made him sub too. Like I said, he couldn't make multiple contests in a single passage of play, why would you give him a full game? I saw people bemoan his lack of opportunities while I was thinking he was given too many.

I'm quite comfortable seeing him in opposition colours. Kennedy for Howe is a net improvement of our list, there is no doubt in my mind.

That be true if that was all we gave up for Howe. But we effectively gave up Kennedy AND Seedsman to get him. Howe is a decent mature age player and we know what we are getting with him. On the other hand Seedsman and Kennedy were younger with more development potential and years of footy left in them. It was an interesting call by the club.

Neither will amount to much. Howe was a mistake, letting Kennedy go was not. Would rather have kept the pick.
I'd like to see what Howe can do for us before making that call. People were upset about bringing in Varcoe this time last year and look at him now. Bringing in Howe rather than using whatever pick we would have gotten was the right call.

I'd like to see what Howe can do for us before making that call. People were upset about bringing in Varcoe this time last year and look at him now. Bringing in Howe rather than using whatever pick we would have gotten was the right call.
PICKS!!! he cost us 2 second rounders ffs.. or in player trade terms... Kennedy AND Seedsman.

PICKS!!! he cost us 2 second rounders ffs.. or in player trade terms... Kennedy AND Seedsman.
You're assuming that Kennedy was actually worth a second rounder though... Seed got us pick 32 and he had far higher trade value than BK.

Is this thread for real? Given BK is unlikely to make it to 100 games I think Howe already has him covered...
Makes no difference how much people want to talk up Ben Kennedy, he will always be very average.
Howe could turn it on and do something spectacular on any given day.
Kennedy, pfft, just a make up the numbers player

Those two had ample chances and were both going nowhere. Trading them out for someone who might make us better was the right thing to do

You're assuming that Kennedy was actually worth a second rounder though... Seed got us pick 32 and he had far higher trade value than BK.
we'dve gotten a second rounder for Kennedy. Point is.. we gave up both Seedsman and Kennedy for Howe and pick 48 or something... it wasn't Kennedy for Howe.. this thread needs to include the Seed to make any sense.

Remove this Banner Ad

Prediction Ben Kennedy v J.Howe

Remove this Banner Ad

Back