Prediction Ben Kennedy v J.Howe

Remove this Banner Ad

I honestly don't care always thought of it as a nothing trade. I never thought much of Kennedy at his time here and I never thought much of Howe. I'll be surprised if one of them makes it. Pleasantly if its Howe.

BK has more upside.

If he actually produces on that upside, he'll have a better career at Melbourne than Howe did.

Be interesting to see how Howe goes at Collingwood. He could really sneak under peoples guard in our forward line but I don't buy this "Howe can play midfield stuff" the guy is a forward and he has a fair bit of competition at Collingwood.

The trade was Howe and pick 68 for Kennedy and pick 32. It was about even, because Kennedy has done nothing at AFL level.

If people think Kennedy and Seedsman was overs for Howe and pick 68, then they need to criticise the club for the Seedsman trade. They were separate deals that had nothing to do with one another.

I honestly think Kennedy will have the better career, he was always going to take time to come good, but I do see great potential in him to be a very solid AFL footballer for a long period. Howe is deep into his career and has effectively done nothing but win mark of the year.

However, Howe will be better for Collingwood than Kennedy because he adds an extra dimension and that medium lead up forward we needed. Kennedy we can cover (which is why he wasn't getting games). Ben would have had to turn himself into a small forward if he stayed at Collingwood when he really wants to be a running mid. Its a team game and I don't care who has the better career, its about what they contribute to the team. I will take Leigh Brown over Josh Fraser every day for what Brown was able to do for 1 year in that specific team role, although Josh Fraser had a much better career.

I'd like to see what Howe can do for us before making that call. People were upset about bringing in Varcoe this time last year and look at him now. Bringing in Howe rather than using whatever pick we would have gotten was the right call.
This, I wasn't a fan of Buck's bringing in Howe, but I was livid when we picked up Varcoe and thought he was nothing more then a waste of a list spot. Now he's one of my favourites and it seems he was exactly what we needed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We gave up early on Ben I feel, but he and Freeman wouldn't have gotten much of a run in this midfield

Pretty much sums up my thoughts. Midfield stocks:
Pendlebury
Swan
Sidebottom
Adams
Treloar
Varcoe
Greenwood
Crisp
De Goey
Aish
Blair
Broomhead
Macaffer*

Probably missed others too. He was well down the pecking order with only Swan likely to be leaving the midfield in the short-term.

Could turn in to a handy forward pocket. Something we could do with.

Potentially, but feel that an apparent inability to score from outside 35 metres hurts him. Not sure you can get away with it in today's game. I still think he has the potential to be a good inside mid, just needs to put on some muscle a la Fyfe (although you wouldn't think he has Fyfe's ability).

Howe's an interesting one, certainly has ability an that X-factor that brings another dimension to the team. Can he push out Elliot, Fasolo or a Moore/Gault/White third-tall type though? Can't say I've watched too many Melbourne games recently but feel he might not have had that much competition for spots like he'll have at Collingwood. Will be interesting to see his response.

Are you telling me BK wasn't a small?

Kennedy was always too small to make the grade in the A.F.L.If you're that size you need some outstanding attributes like exceptional speed,or great kicking skills but unfortunately he had neither.That's why i'm surprised Hine picked him so high in the draft that year.I think he blundered with that choice to be honest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Howe. Every stretch of the imagination.

Tackling, running, injuries, health, marking, kicking, accountability, somewhat already proven at the top level.

This isn't to say I don't rate Kennedy, he has loads of potential, he is just taking a long time to fulfill it

Blair can kick 50M and is a tackling machine. and can mark overhead.

I don't disagree. Just saying it isn't speed why Kennedy didn't make it with us or won't make it.

Pretty much sums up my thoughts. Midfield stocks:
Pendlebury
Swan
Sidebottom
Adams
Treloar
Varcoe
Greenwood
Crisp
De Goey
Aish
Blair
Broomhead
Macaffer*

Probably missed others too. He was well down the pecking order with only Swan likely to be leaving the midfield in the short-term.

Potentially, but feel that an apparent inability to score from outside 35 metres hurts him. Not sure you can get away with it in today's game. I still think he has the potential to be a good inside mid, just needs to put on some muscle a la Fyfe (although you wouldn't think he has Fyfe's ability).

Howe's an interesting one, certainly has ability an that X-factor that brings another dimension to the team. Can he push out Elliot, Fasolo or a Moore/Gault/White third-tall type though? Can't say I've watched too many Melbourne games recently but feel he might not have had that much competition for spots like he'll have at Collingwood. Will be interesting to see his response.
A large part of the Kennedy as a midfielder is while he was struggling with injury we recruited bigger stronger mids. From those you listed Treloar, Varcoe, Greenwood, Crisp, De Goey and Aish were all recruited after Kennedy. Over the same time we've only really lost Ball and Beams as midfield regulars.

As a small forward Kennedy's nearest match would be Blair, but his AFL form wasn't enough to push Blair out. Broomhead is the next competitor for a small forward spot, but even when Broomhead was injured Kennedy couldn't grab the spot.

Kennedy's still a chance to become an AFL regular, just too many ahead of him at the 'pies.

Who will have the better career? Just watching some nab cup and saw Ben Kennedy slotting one on the run for Melbourne. Who will have the career?

I think (perhaps more hope) that Howe responds to our environment like Varcoe has. If so, then he has the potential to be a very good for us. He has all the tools and is skilful off both sides. Just needs to put it all together consistently over a match and a season. But if he does it will make us markedly better.

Kennedy I don't think will ever get to Howe's level, even what Howe has achieved to date.

Kennedy has more up side than Blair.

Kennedy may have more up-side by virtue of being younger, but I'd be happy to wager that at the end of their respective careers Blair would have had the better of it.

I liked Kennedy as a player, but it's becoming obvious how criminally underrated Blair is.

I'm not sure why so many people think Kennedy has all this upside????

He's no better now than he was as a 17 year old. That's his problem...he hasn't come on from then at all. In fact, you could well argue that he has gone backwards when looking at his kicking.

He may play a few games over the years but that's because he is on a weak list and all the talent is very young (see Danny Stanley at GC).

Who will have the better career? Just watching some nab cup and saw Ben Kennedy slotting one on the run for Melbourne. Who will have the career?

I must admit that I have enjoyed sinking the boot into Kennedy in the last few years but I think Howe shows a lot of promise. The big advantage Howe has is that his expectations are higher, which means greater enjoyment for us.

Dont expect either to have a major impact at either club but I could be proven wrong, kennedy was a fringe player with us and I expect howe to be a fringe player for us as well.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Prediction Ben Kennedy v J.Howe

Remove this Banner Ad

Back