Rumour Ben King 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

I have no info at all and think he probably stays at GC, but just saw this thread and was thoroughly impressed that someone is holding a grudge against St Kilda on behalf of the Port Melbourne football club of 125 years ago and not being admitted to the VFL in 1897!
A truly epic grudge that deserves respect

Id love to know the full story on this

I believe the long and short of it is AFL wanted to maintain control of its expansion license. Southport Sharks are their own club with its own board and people. AFL could either give up some of its control and sell the license to Southport (or elevate Southport) but thus losing some control of the new team. AFL has historically opposed selling licenses and giving up control (think Bears + Skase, Swans and Eddelstone etc). I think only Freo and West Coast are owned outside of the AFL (by WAFC). The other option is to buy out the Sharks name from Southport and hence paying extra money. There was also the thought that elevating the Sharks name would isolate the Suns to just Southport given the Sharks are sort of PAFC or Pies of Queensland football (team that other teams universally dislike).

Frankly, the main issue is the Suns and their logo is very milquetoast developed by focus groups bland product. I think the colours are OK with the red, yellow and blue reminiscent of the beach and lifesavers. I think the name could be alright given GC is known for its sunshine and beaches. Its the branding execution that is terrible. The 1990s style football graphic and lettering was already dated when it first came out. They could have gone for a more traditional calligraphy style logo. They could have stylised the sun instead of a lame oval. They could have been imaginative and used the GC skyline against a rising sun background. Ultimately the logo they picked is so bog standard and boring, its lacking in any identity. I personally would have picked something else for the name that isnt as generic. Maybe go for something like the "Guardians" and theme it around life savers.

I believe the long and short of it is AFL wanted to maintain control of its expansion license. Southport Sharks are their own club with its own board and people. AFL could either give up some of its control and sell the license to Southport (or elevate Southport) but thus losing some control of the new team. AFL has historically opposed selling licenses and giving up control (think Bears + Skase, Swans and Eddelstone etc). I think only Freo and West Coast are owned outside of the AFL (by WAFC). The other option is to buy out the Sharks name from Southport and hence paying extra money. There was also the thought that elevating the Sharks name would isolate the Suns to just Southport given the Sharks are sort of PAFC or Pies of Queensland football (team that other teams universally dislike).

Frankly, the main issue is the Suns and their logo is very milquetoast developed by focus groups bland product. I think the colours are OK with the red, yellow and blue reminiscent of the beach and lifesavers. I think the name could be alright given GC is known for its sunshine and beaches. Its the branding execution that is terrible. The 1990s style football graphic and lettering was already dated when it first came out. They could have gone for a more traditional calligraphy style logo. They could have stylised the sun instead of a lame oval. They could have been imaginative and used the GC skyline against a rising sun background. Ultimately the logo they picked is so bog standard and boring, its lacking in any identity. I personally would have picked something else for the name that isnt as generic. Maybe go for something like the "Guardians" and theme it around life savers.

The main issue is losing games of football.
End of story.

If you are winning games of football nobody cares about your name or logo.

End of story.

True. Giants managed to fashion some sort of identity out of their orange G due to characters like Greene and the success of the club.

I think the logo and branding does matter when you are outside of traditional football markets. Gold Coast has a large tourism industry and Im sure the Suns would be targeting this market. NY Giants, NY Yankees etc profit off of tourists purchasing their merch as souvenirs. Suns product is so generic, you would be hard pressed to distinguish it from the Chinese mass-produced tourist nic-nacs that get peddled around here. My American cousins bought some Sydney Swans and South Sydney Rabbitohs crap when they came over just purely based on the aesthetics and having Sydney in the branding.

Ben King is the Suns. My brother and his friends started following after the Rowell, Anderson, King, Rankine drafts (and lockdowns meaning binge watching TV). If they lose this core then they need to fold the Suns and restart it with full AFL control. There is hunger for footy in SEQ (especially now that half of Melbourne has moved up here in the last 2 years). We just need a good product. Like how the Lions are selling ridiculous membership numbers once they stopped being bottom 4.

Yeah they really do need Ben King to sign-up long-term.

As a plus, it would also stop the Saints selling the farm for a player they really don’t need.

End of story.

The main issue is Melbourne journalists looking for each out of contract interstate player and writing rumours about their impending return to Melbourne.
Why doesn't the AFL put in 5 year contracts for top 10 picks, make if they are restricted free agents, if the club matches the offer, they stay, it would reduce the mental health problems of young players

More evidence which suggests King (and Rowell) is staying.

Fantastic news for footy if true.

It's not a good look for the league to have the Giants and Suns constantly pillared every year like a feeder club

As excited as I was at the possibly of having both Kings in the same team it is not our biggest need at the moment anyway.
We have a full list of draft picks available for the first time in a number of years so getting some more top quality mids has to be the aim if we are being honest with where we are at.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fantastic news for footy if true.

It's not a good look for the league to have the Giants and Suns constantly pillared every year like a feeder club
and what about the 10 years of drafts they pillaged, there were periods when they basically took the top 20 kids in consecutive drafts.

where was this sense of outrage when GWS and Suns took Bock, Ward and Scully, and Ablett. all were faces of their clubs.
other clubs have had to work bloody hard to drag themselves out of bad positions, why do the Suns get treated differently.

I don't wish GCS to fold, I don't want Ben to leave because the club is poor, Let Ben make his decision for his reasons, not AFL cash or some whack belief that he alone is the savior of the club.

AFL came in last time and gave King and Luco AFL money to stay.
11 years on, when do they have to stand on their own feet playerwise?

What did he say that makes it likely that he'll stay at GC?

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Since when has that response ever been taken at face value?
Wasn't that always the exact response every other high profile player used before leaving their club?

It's almost like saying the coach has the full support of the board, it means nothing.

Pretty much this. What else does anyone say under these circumstances? “No, I’m not happy here and keen to get out as soon as possible”?

They’d be coached to say exactly the sort of thing he said whether they’re staying or going.

And if the Suns finish last?

and what about the 10 years of drafts they pillaged, there were periods when they basically took the top 20 kids in consecutive drafts.

where was this sense of outrage when GWS and Suns took Bock, Ward and Scully, and Ablett. all were faces of their clubs.
other clubs have had to work bloody hard to drag themselves out of bad positions, why do the Suns get treated differently.

I don't wish GCS to fold, I don't want Ben to leave because the club is poor, Let Ben make his decision for his reasons, not AFL cash or some whack belief that he alone is the savior of the club.

AFL came in last time and gave King and Luco AFL money to stay.
11 years on, when do they have to stand on their own feet playerwise?
I wonder if Saints fans are invested in Ben 🤔

nah not at all, it's the double standard of the view.

fold Saints, shit club, broke, relocate North, over and over. Both clubs have done a shit load more with a shit load less and somehow we have to feel sorry for GC who through their own ineptitude are now back on draft concessions.

Ben coming or going is not my beef.

Let’s not pretend that any other group of supporters wouldn’t likewise be involved in a thread if the gun twin brother of someone from their club was coming OOC, and it was very clear that their club was keen to get him (whether they think it’s the best use of their clubs trade and draft assets or not).

If someone is dead-set keen to stay at a club they answer in the sort of way that Rowell did. Or that Macrae from WB did yesterday.

You can start popping the champagne corks when they make comments like that.

One’s like Ben’s you hear every year from guys who end up leaving though.

As such, for mine it’s far too premature to be popping the corks based on his far from committal comments.

Which is of course for those with comprehension issues not suggesting that I think he’s not staying, I just wouldn’t personally read anything into a comment like that, whether I have any interest in my club acquiring that guys signature or not.

Says the supporter of a club that hasn't won a final in 18 years.

Lmao indeed.
Says the supporter of a club that has a premiership average of 1 every 48 years.

Lmao indeed.

If someone is dead-set keen to stay at a club they answer in the sort of way that Rowell did. Or that Macrae from WB did yesterday.

You can start popping the champagne corks when they make comments like that.
Even those type of comments aren't a given these days

Until the actual player signs I wouldn't be hanging my hat on any words

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Ben King 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Back