Free Agency Ben McKay [Joins Essendon as RFA]

Does he stay or does he go?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

What about $1.7m over two then extending another three years for $250,000 per year?

That's 5 years at $2,450,000 total, $490k a season average.
on the basis that gets us parish and redman signed than im ok with that

mckay is by far not a priority

on the basis that gets us parish and redman signed than im ok with that

mckay is by far not a priority

Arguably, if you aren't able to sign Parish and Redman prior to McKay you need to hold off on McKay until after the free agency period has closed - trading for him instead.

You don't need to lose a first round compensation pick over getting in McKay.

Im saying why would Essendon show their hand this early on if they were contemplating paying band 1. Bad business.

Depends on what you mean by “show their hand”.

If it’s to the media, they never will.

If it’s to player agents, they will have done so already, to an extent.

Arguably, if you aren't able to sign Parish and Redman prior to McKay you need to hold off on McKay until after the free agency period has closed - trading for him instead.

You don't need to lose a first round compensation pick over getting in McKay.
100%.
If either Parish or Redman go, McKay isn’t going to Essendon during free agency.

Dodoro will wait until afterwards and offer a nominal second rounder to North.

North will be hoping Parish and Redman stay with the Bombers to avoid this scenario or another club shows interest in Ben.

Personally I think he should begin discussions with the Roos. They have money in their cap to pay him well and they will need him more than ever with Logue going down. Him staying at North would be best for Ben financially and also the club.

100%.
If either Parish or Redman go, McKay isn’t going to Essendon during free agency.

Dodoro will wait until afterwards and offer a nominal second rounder to North.

North will be hoping Parish and Redman stay with the Bombers to avoid this scenario or another club shows interest in Ben.

Personally I think he should begin discussions with the Roos. They have money in their cap to pay him well and they will need him more than ever with Logue going down. Him staying at North would be best for Ben financially and also the club.
The best thing for North would be band 1 compensation, but that's starting to look unlikely

The best thing for us is to keep mckay

We are better off compared to a top 5 pick especially with no Logue for a year
Logue or no Logue this was always the case. I’ve always questioned the North fans in this thread when they have preferred otherwise.

But the prospect of being another KPD down and the high likelihood of him not attracting a top five pick in compo seems to have changes their tune a little.

Logue going down will do wonders for Ben’s bank account though.

Logue or no Logue this was always the case. I’ve always questioned the North fans in this thread when they have preferred otherwise.

But the prospect of being another KPD down and the high likelihood of him not attracting a top five pick in compo seems to have changes their tune a little.

Logue going down will do wonders for Ben’s bank account though.
I think compo will be top 5 (we’ll up our offer and clubs will have to do the same to poach him)
But I think we are better off with McKay than the top 5 compo

I think compo will be top 5 (we’ll up our offer and clubs will have to do the same to poach him)
But I think we are better off with McKay than the top 5 compo
Agree with you on Norths offer. They will put in an offer that others will need to trump to get band one compo - $750k x 5 years or the like.
However I think Ben would jump at that and you will keep your man.

Wouldn’t be surprised if they agreed to terms shortly. Clarkson will be chomping at the bit to keep him for the long term now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How does Essendon play this one of one of their restricted agenst (ie Redman) decides to leave.
Do they still use FA and lose the Redman compo, trade for him, or let him go.
We either match the contract and force a trade or trade for McKay.

I reckon North might offer him a big contract now that Logue is gone for a year. The club needs some stability in its KPP stocks.

Geez his form is like a roller coaster. List management teams would be tearing their hair out. Has looked amazing at times, but yesterday he out Frosted Sam Frost!

Remove this Banner Ad

Free Agency Ben McKay [Joins Essendon as RFA]

Back