Free Agency Ben McKay [Joins Essendon as RFA]

Does he stay or does he go?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

What’s that got to do with what the AFL does 🤣🤣
True

magician-pulling-rabbit-out-of-hat-h-armstrong-robertsclassicstock.jpg

Put it this way. Dylan Williams plays his 14th game on the weekend. Ben McKay plays his 64th. If we win and North lose, Williams will have played in twice as many career wins as McKay.
Thanks always good when Port fans contribute to a thread.

On SM-S901E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jon Ralph update that North are open to letting McKay leave for a second round pick even with the Logue injury. Also that Essendon are interested at the 600k mark, not enough to trigger band 1. I get the feeling North fans are going to be dissapointed with this result.

Did you ignore this part of his update?

"If the Roos could secure first-round compensation for McKay after another club offered him up to $800,000 a season over five years they would almost certainly allow him to leave."

"If the Roos could secure first-round compensation for McKay after another club offered him up to $800,000 a season over five years they would almost certainly allow him to leave."
And if my grandmother had wheels she would be a car. If you want to keep hanging on to the belief someone will offer that and you will receive a top 3 pick then good luck to you my friend. You're only going to be left dissapointed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jon Ralph update that North are open to letting McKay leave for a second round pick even with the Logue injury. Also that Essendon are interested at the 600k mark, not enough to trigger band 1. I get the feeling North fans are going to be dissapointed with this result.
What happens for us re McKay is almost certainly dependant on what happens with Parish and Redman. I doubt we put band 1 compensation at risk.

So, your pointing out a quote that says if North can get Pick 3 for McKay, they would take it.
Some real groundbreaking stuff there...

Obviously the (newish) point he was quoting was that the club most interested (Essendon) is interested at dollar amount no where near Band 1, and another team presumed to be interested (Port) seem to have prioritized Ratugolea instead.

So a bidding war is unlikely (at this point in time) and Band 1 compensation - at least at this stage - is not on the table.

Jon Ralph update that North are open to letting McKay leave for a second round pick even with the Logue injury.
Yep. Everybody except delusional North supporters already knew this.

And if my grandmother had wheels she would be a car. If you want to keep hanging on to the belief someone will offer that and you will receive a top 3 pick then good luck to you my friend. You're only going to be left dissapointed.
So you cherry picked some of the article? I also have no idea what abnormalities your grandmother has.

Anyway time will tell - we have the option of matching as well if a team doesn't offer a decent contract.

Yep. Everybody except delusional North supporters already knew this.
lol who is saying he is staying? Every RFA that isn't signed is a good chance of walking at years end.

What is delusional is posters guessing what we will or won't do if he does get an offer from another team.

band 2 compo with a priority pick after it seems the most likely result from what ralph said last night
But then what does the priority pick become? End of round 1?

The band 2 from Mckay compo would be end of round 1 too.

And we already have something approximating end of round 1 with Port's pick.

So is what's being proposed that we walk into the draft with picks 2, 17~, 19, and 20?

And how else are they to report it at this time year?

Wouldnt expect Essendon to come out and say we are interested and will pay top $$$ band 1.

That's entering tinfoil hat territory isn't it?

The media has never ever shied away from reporting band 1 money if it's on offer. Obviously we take all the specifics the media offers with a massive grain of salt, but it's strange you'd suggest the media wouldn't report it if it's even speculated to be on the table.

So you cherry picked some of the article? I also have no idea what abnormalities your grandmother has.

Anyway time will tell - we have the option of matching as well if a team doesn't offer a decent contract.

It helps if you don't misinterpret the sections of the article you believe were "cherry picked" out of the discussion.

You've completely missed the point Bill.

But then what does the priority pick become? End of round 1?

The band 2 from Mckay compo would be end of round 1 too.

And we already have something approximating end of round 1 with Port's pick.

So is what's being proposed that we walk into the draft with picks 2, 17~, 19, and 20?

Yes that sounds about right, though nobody is proposing you walk into the draft with those picks. You can trade them prior or on draft night if you so choose.

Yes that sounds about right, though nobody is proposing you walk into the draft with those picks. You can trade them prior or on draft night if you so choose.

Of course, I was using lazy shorthand for "enter the trade and draft season".
I could see how that'd be a result the AFL and other clubs could live with. And there's a good case we can fill some pretty critical gaps with that capital.
The puzzling part of this for me really has been how relaxed North has been at the prospect that one of only 2 AFL standard key defenders at its disposal is going to walk out the door. (and that was before the Logue ACL)
North optimist cap on: it suggests there's a replacement lined up in the wings, because otherwise you'd expect a bit more "we expect he'll sign on, he's a required player" type talk.
North realist cap on: its a little anxiety inducing.

That's entering tinfoil hat territory isn't it?

The media has never ever shied away from reporting band 1 money if it's on offer. Obviously we take all the specifics the media offers with a massive grain of salt, but it's strange you'd suggest the media wouldn't report it if it's even speculated to be on the table.

It helps if you don't misinterpret the sections of the article you believe were "cherry picked" out of the discussion.

You've completely missed the point Bill.

I got the point - the poster took bits and pieces from an article and "got a feeling" we would be disappointed.

Will the feeling police be disappointed if we aren't disappointed if we don't get band 1?

Back