ben reids just not good enough

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't rate Reid at all. Always thought he was a dud. But you have to give the boy a chance. Its only one game so he needs more experience and hopefully he can prove me wrong.

+1. Although he has never given me any reason to believe he'll make it, some blokes mature at different rates so I hope he can prove me wrong too.

so happy MM and match committee don't read this forum..do they?...lol

Ben Reids development is coming on just nicely...theyre being patient..developing him to fill a need in the future

I thought expectations on here have been too high....this year is not his make or break year...2011/2012 will be.

Reid was respectable without being outstanding last night.

On a side note...the change in last nights game was not Roo going off...IT WAS PRESTI COMING IN....ffs newspapers give him some respect.

Dead right Larrikan, the turnaround started as soon as Presti came on, he immediately stopped a Saints forward charge and caned them with his disposal going the other way. Maxxy suddenly started being the extra man up in the contests and we started playing like we can. I find it hard to believe that Maxxy had a sudden epiffany about whay his role is, it is more likely that Presti put him straight. So much for all those who have been wrighting him off all thru the off season. As for the umpiring how many times were our boys held onto after the ball was gone (or in some cases never even acquired) without a whistle from the umps but when it happened to the Saints they were given frees immediately. Jolly and Ball are going to have to get used to this now that they are wearing black and white stripes. All in all a lot of factors contributed to our narrow loss so it a bit rough to land it all on Ben Reid. For what it's worth I thought he was reasonable (not great admittedly) but reasonable and showing some good development signs.

Dawson, I agree that half my post was tripe, but you might want to address the other half i.e. why the kid has not improved his ability to keep his feet nor his decision making in 3 years.

I'm not on the let's trade him bandwagon, but it is laughable when our supporters claim he smashed Kosi. I think expectations of Reid / Dawes are unrealistic and unfounded.

Those calling for Reid to replace Brown are kidding themselves. Brown played on the best CHF in the AFL during a period when they were dominating.

Anyway I honestly hope both of them have a lot of improvement left. They are vital to our succession planning.

Brown's 21 (22 in December) and Reid is 21 in April - and some of you gurus are talking about whether they are up to it after an NAB pre-season game in the middle of February!!! Played on probably the CHF with the best aerobic capacity in the comp who looked really good last night.

Keep it in perspective....both will play across defence this year and will be competitive. You dont get Roo every week

I agree, but from reports he was Reids' opponent so that is all he can do.
Reid was predominately opposed to Kosi, but he also spent some time on Rhys Stanley. Kosi scored 0 goals on him, his only goal came while matched up on someone else. Rhys Stanley kicked 1 goal on him IIRC, after Stanley took a hanger on him but at least Reid was playing in front, he was just unlucky to get caught under the ball. I wasn't bothered in the slightest to see that.

When Presti came on he went to Riewoldt, and Reid stayed on Kosi IIRC.

I wish i went to school with some of you guys. I could wait until monday mornings after a loss, and get half the Collingwood team in AFL trading cards, for a song.

I was never a big fan in footy trading cards at school, because I never wanted to trade. For me, you only traded a card for something better.....Does anyone see the point of my little story?? A heap of people here are talking about trading Ben Reid but for what? A second round draft pick? An Andrew Lovett, maybe?

I cant remember the guy who posted the comment that people shouldnt be called passionate fans, just because they make ridiculous knee jerk calls to trade players...amen, i say..

Now, I'm going to leave this thread and go and read the "get rid of Leroy Brown thread" ....obviously after his 4 goals last night, there will be some calling for his axing too... (oooh btw, there is no such thread atm..i'm being sarcastic)

not in our best 22 and should look for a trade at the end of the year his had his time leigh brown is a better option
He is 20 years of age and last year was his first full season as a defender and he did very well in the VFL team that made the Preliminary Final. While he didn't do a lot, his ten possessions and five marks weren't terrible either, and his 80% efficiency is a definite improvement. I'm also sure he played on Koschitke at times who didn't do much either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, I'd even argue that he's yet to play a game as a defender at senior level, given that we just watched a completely meaningless NAB Cup game. Ben Reid has the physical attributes and the recruiting and development staffs obviously rate him through the roof, so you may as well strap yourself in for the ride, and keep your poison typewriters for when Benny has 50+ games under his belt.

Spot on he just needs to get use to afl football. He showed he can play by absouloutly destroying kozi and if i was the coaching staff i would play him in every practice match we have leading up to the season. I hope we play the Hawks in one of the challanger matches i really wanna see him on buddy.

Reid was playing his first game as a defender at senior level, I think he will be an important player for us this year and in the future.
He was actually quite good against St.Kilda.
Let's face it guys we are not going to win a flag with Ben Reid in the side.
You are a prize ratbag. There appears to be more ridiculous and unfounded bagging of Collingwood players on this board than there is on the main board. Instead of giving certain players the flick, is there any way to send some so-called "supporters" to other clubs?

He was actually quite good against St.Kilda.You are a prize ratbag. There appears to be more ridiculous and unfounded bagging of Collingwood players on this board than there is on the main board. Instead of giving certain players the flick, is there any way to send some so-called "supporters" to other clubs?
I am not bagging Reid it is just my opinion that unless he can make a dramatic improvement in the next few months I stand by my comment.

His family asked the pies for a trade at the end of last year.
They were told he was a required player and the pies would not be trading him.

from the horses mouth.

I am not bagging Reid.
Ba ha ha ha ha ha! :D
it is just my opinion that unless he can make a dramatic improvement in the next few months I stand by my comment.
I couldn't care less if you stand-by your opinion, or lay on it, or sit on it. It's completely unfounded, baseless and ridiculous regarding a 20 year who happened to play quite well in his first senior match as a defender.

Remove this Banner Ad

ben reids just not good enough

Remove this Banner Ad

Back