Benalla & District Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just doesnt seem right to me, these clubs are struggling to stay afloat, and there are players out there that are willing to sit on the sidelines and bag there own club rather than play for less money. What happend to the days of playing for the jumper?
In what could be the final year for district league, its sad to see a club with such a great history go out like this.:mad:

Just doesnt seem right to me, these clubs are struggling to stay afloat, and there are players out there that are willing to sit on the sidelines and bag there own club rather than play for less money. What happend to the days of playing for the jumper?
In what could be the final year for district league, its sad to see a club with such a great history go out like this.:mad:
the problem is that these days things are tighter all round and all the payments do is help with the out of pocket expenses like fuel, shorts socks, etc, but in saying that most decent blokes that are getting a dollar also hang around for a meal and a drink, buy their $5 worth of raffle tickets each week and also support the club in every way they can.

Good to see the VCFL sitting down with all relevant parties on the 20th and 21st of this month in discussions on the future of football in the Benalla area.

Big chance for bugs bunny to put his, Longwoods and the BDFL's case forward!

No b an d teams will be strong enough to go to any other leagues especially not having thirds is a big down fall the way it is now is how it should stay because of how poor the benalla an district standard of football is they wont cope in the big leagues.

Went to the Bonnie Doon Rec Res. to see the famous sloping oval. A bit disappointed, but it's good to see improvement at the ground. Also see the Bats got some air time on Off The Bench last night.

Went to the Bonnie Doon Rec Res. to see the famous sloping oval. A bit disappointed, but it's good to see improvement at the ground. Also see the Bats got some air time on Off The Bench last night.
G'day Purps
A couple of the guys at Redlegs Stadium with rellies in Doon were over for the official opening of The New Doon ground before last weekend.
Said the east west layout is flat out great and round and nearly as big as the Benalla Showies.
Can't park cars around but never really been able to to. Top stuff I reckon!

If only we could beat the buggas when we kick the footy!

Noticed in the Shepp News that the Purples are suffering premiership hangover in both the footy and A netters.
Don't fret there is always an exodus after a bunch of blokes have climbed to the top as a group. A bunch of netballers for that matter.

The Purples are like the Redlegs .. use '09 to rebuild then onward and upward .. to infinity!!
Sorry . just watched Toy Story with me grandkids .. sorry got a bit carried away with Buck Rogers or whatever his name is!!
Cheers
John Carrot:thumbsu:

No b an d teams will be strong enough to go to any other leagues especially not having thirds is a big down fall the way it is now is how it should stay because of how poor the benalla an district standard of football is they wont cope in the big leagues.

That's not fair.

It is true that there are no 3rds, but if you look at the last team to leave the B&D (I think) was Thornton-Eildon for th 1995 season. They were able to field 3rds & 4ths and junior netball. There seniors took a little while to improve. If you follow their progress they were quite competitive in the GV2/Central Goulburn and have been very successful in the YVMDFL.

As a club it will be a matter of survival. Put the junior systems in place and you will have a stable senior club. Think to yourself about how many guys you knew stopped playing footy when they finished 3rds?

The point I am trying to make is that many B&D clubs may initially cop a few beltings in a neighbouring league (as T-Eildon did), they will have an opportunity to improve and come up to the standard required.

G'day Purps
A couple of the guys at Redlegs Stadium with rellies in Doon were over for the official opening of The New Doon ground before last weekend.
Said the east west layout is flat out great and round and nearly as big as the Benalla Showies.
Can't park cars around but never really been able to to. Top stuff I reckon!

If only we could beat the buggas when we kick the footy!

Noticed in the Shepp News that the Purples are suffering premiership hangover in both the footy and A netters.
Don't fret there is always an exodus after a bunch of blokes have climbed to the top as a group. A bunch of netballers for that matter.

The Purples are like the Redlegs .. use '09 to rebuild then onward and upward .. to infinity!!
Sorry . just watched Toy Story with me grandkids .. sorry got a bit carried away with Buck Rogers or whatever his name is!!
Cheers

Hey Veggie man, how are they dangling (roots that is). Mate just on the new Doon ground I was wondering whether it has a name. I thought Serenity Stadium would be appropriate. You appear to be a man who has tremendous knowledge ( and power) so I thought you may be able to get the campaign underway to find a name for said rec reserve...........Keep your roots moist.....Cheers

Oh Shut Up!!! The current teams in the other leagues are struggling to field thirds themselves, who do you think you are, most teams in the BDFL are in a position to field a stronger side if they move to a more competitive league hence making the teams of a higher standard than the teams that the clubs currently field in the BDFL. "Wont' cope in the big leagues" its not like these clubs are striving for the AFL???? Its not like many of the leagues above the BDFL are any better, they just have a league that the VCFL will support to ensure there future, that is the ONLY difference. The clubs in the BDFL are no different to anyone else, the social aspect plays a huge part in its survival, the community spirit being central to this. Whilst money will play a part, it still generally comes down to the love of the jumper and the atmosphere your involved with. Players are there on a Saturday because they want to be, not because they are earning there weekly wage. From a personal point of view, if this is not the type of footy your interested in buy a membership to your AFL team and catch a train to Melbourne every weekend. (Or a plane to Sydney, Brisbane, Adelaide etc etc etc).

Hey Veggie man, how are they dangling (roots that is). Mate just on the new Doon ground I was wondering whether it has a name. I thought Serenity Stadium would be appropriate. You appear to be a man who has tremendous knowledge ( and power) so I thought you may be able to get the campaign underway to find a name for said rec reserve...........Keep your roots moist.....Cheers

Slimbo .. maaaate!
You should immediately apply for the number one mouseketeer marketer for the new dawn of Doon at the “Serenity Stadium” .. What a Pearler .. naturally you will have to get Michael Caton and Steve Curry and the rest of the cast from the movie “The Castle” up to do the naming rights!
What a great christening .. has to win the WAPAWARD in the Euroa Gazette the week after next when the Redlegs have their round bye after the general bye this easter.
Well done old son! “Serenity Stadium” .. has a rythmn eh?
Cheers
Ps. Is a nut a fruit or a vegie? You’ve got someone like “Game on” so what have you got?
A peanut of course. You’ve got two nuts on a mantel-piece on a wall .. so what have you got “Walnuts”!!
You’ve got two nuts resting on a chest .. Chestnuts
Then you’ve got two nuts resting on a chin .. lookout here comes the censor .. bye!

Correction! Benalla Saints v Mooroopna on ANZAC Day at the Showies - but the criticism of the Benalla Showgrounds authority still stands.
Cheers
John Carrot

Cooee!
Anyone out there?

Just realised that my old jokes might have been a bit too risque for which I apologise profusely .. ‘cause without any news to be seen I'm just thinking I might have been sent to Coventry..however; remember that meaning of jokes are like observing beauty .. "in the mind of the beholder".

Latest update on the ANZAC day question of the 1.00 o'clock start.

There will definitely be respect for the Diggers with Longwood meeting Swanpool at the Benalla Friendlies Oval ( Home of the All Blacks .. don’t know why it’s called that as the Blacks were never very friendly on the field there back in 1977?).

C Grade Basketball and Reserves Footy to start after 1.00 pm.
Should mean about a 5.30 pm finish which will still be light enough.

I know which game I'll be going to .. Redlegs v Swannies at the Friendlies while the Benalla Saints play Dougie Hawkins side at the Showies.

Cooee .. hello .. anyone out there?
Cheers
John Carrot:thumbsu::)

Cooee!
Anyone out there?

Just realised that my old jokes might have been a bit too risque for which I apologise profusely .. ‘cause without any news to be seen I'm just thinking I might have been sent to Coventry..however; remember that meaning of jokes are like observing beauty .. "in the mind of the beholder".

Latest update on the ANZAC day question of the 1.00 o'clock start.

There will definitely be respect for the Diggers with Longwood meeting Swanpool at the Benalla Friendlies Oval ( Home of the All Blacks .. don’t know why it’s called that as the Blacks were never very friendly on the field there back in 1977?).

C Grade Basketball and Reserves Footy to start after 1.00 pm.
Should mean about a 5.30 pm finish which will still be light enough.

I know which game I'll be going to .. Redlegs v Swannies at the Friendlies while the Benalla Saints play Dougie Hawkins side at the Showies.

Cooee .. hello .. anyone out there?
Cheers
John Carrot:thumbsu::)

Hey JC..... by any chance would you be related to another famous JC....Jasper Carrot the scottish comedian. Probably not, his jokes are funny..:D:D:D

Hey JC..... by any chance would you be related to another famous JC....Jasper Carrot the scottish comedian. Probably not, his jokes are funny..:D:D:D

Geez Slimbo..
You must be my age if you know of the Jasper Carrot .. a redheaded Scot I think.
I remember my late Granma .. who was a Pom for the first 11 years of her life .. saying to me after I’d told a fairly “risqué” bad taste joke at a family party when I was about 18 .. and her using a Pommie phrase .. that -
“You are a wit by half aren’t you Johnny!”
Took me a decade to realise that she had called me a half-wit!!
Strangest looking ladder after Round 1 in the BDFL that you would ever see.. eh?
Y’reckon some maths genius at Serenity Stadium would have said let the ‘Pies kick a point so we’ll have a percentage. But after the towelling the Bats gave us the Dooners still would have been second. 328% to 252%.
Let’s hope round 2 tomorrow gets a bit more competitive some how, but it looks like the three teams to get four points are the Batters, the Doon and the “go the mighty Redlegs” ( with apologies to Lance from Lara!)
Cheers
p.s. ..and as the other JC said over Easter .. " I am the resurrection .. so don't pinch my Easter eggs 'cos I'll be back on Sunday!!"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not quite true, John Carrot. A behind to Tatong in that game would have left Bonnie Doon's percentage at 25,200% - well ahead of Goorambat's 328%.

Touche Derby!

I’ve always enjoyed the “Three R’s”, especially the ‘Ritin’ and ‘Readin’ but it looks like I’ve got to go back to the Jack Dyer School of ‘Rithmetic for a refresher course.. eh?

But still a sad set of percentage numbers for the BDFL after Round 2 on Saturday with Doon now 1100% and the Batters 640%.

Maybe we can change the rules so that we other three sides can start an hour earlier, with Doon or the Bats providing just a full back to kick in for the inevitable point!

Cheers

But still a sad set of percentage numbers for the BDFL after Round 2 on Saturday with Doon now 1100% and the Batters 640%.

Maybe we can change the rules so that we other three sides can start an hour earlier, with Doon or the Bats providing just a full back to kick in for the inevitable point!

That could work, John! But there is such a big gap between the top two and the bottom three that I think you'll find that the BDFL will split into two divisions next year. The current structure is unwieldy and clubs don't get to play each other often enough.

That could work, John! But there is such a big gap between the top two and the bottom three that I think you'll find that the BDFL will split into two divisions next year. The current structure is unwieldy and clubs don't get to play each other often enough.

thats quite funny.

In all seriousness have Goorambat been discussing their entry into O&K as word has it nearly a done deal. Very quiet so who knows whats happening?
Also where are Boonie Doon going next year as keep hearing Yarra Valley league are on the lookout for a few clubs to try and split Div 2 into conferences and play locals V locals. 3 teams currently in NFL are being spoken to and are looking at ther options. The issue with the teams from NFL is the travel I am lead to believe but some sweeteners may be added.
May suit Doon if they can play Yea, Alex, Thornton, Kinglake, and Yarra Glen as travel is only about 20 minutes further than going to Goorambat.

Clubs have to be planning something for next year as not planning is planning to fail.Who knows whats happening with clubs?

With the huge gap that has formed, I assume that Bonnie Doon and Goorambat will find new homes. Longwood is going down the KDFL path. What are the plans for neighbours Tatong & Swanpool? I hate to see clubs merge/fold, but surely to compete something must be on the horizon.

Sounds like a very good idea there mate, it seems to have worked over my way at the Picola D League so why not in the BDFL. Great creative thinking there.

BTW, who's playing in the other match?

What a pity the All Blacks, Glenrowan, King Valley and maby Violet Town can't join the league. I can't see the league lasting too much longer though :(.

Maby a few of the clubs can join the O&K and there can be two divisions where the premier of division 2 gets promoted to Division one and the wooden spooner gets demoted to division 2?

thats quite funny.

In all seriousness have Goorambat been discussing their entry into O&K as word has it nearly a done deal. Very quiet so who knows whats happening?
Also where are Boonie Doon going next year as keep hearing Yarra Valley league are on the lookout for a few clubs to try and split Div 2 into conferences and play locals V locals. 3 teams currently in NFL are being spoken to and are looking at ther options. The issue with the teams from NFL is the travel I am lead to believe but some sweeteners may be added.
May suit Doon if they can play Yea, Alex, Thornton, Kinglake, and Yarra Glen as travel is only about 20 minutes further than going to Goorambat.

Clubs have to be planning something for next year as not planning is planning to fail.Who knows whats happening with clubs?

Do you know which teams? Panton Hill would be an obvious one but i'm unsure of any others. Maybe Hurstbridge and Diamond Creek

JC can you give us some results from the game yesterday. Nothing on the website yet.....and only 1/2 of the results from Serenity Stadium are there but looks like Doon were far too good.

JC can you give us some results from the game yesterday. Nothing on the website yet.....and only 1/2 of the results from Serenity Stadium are there but looks like Doon were far too good.

You know I spoke about the gap between the "haves and the have-nots".
Looks like the Leggers are in the "didn't haves" after a flogging from the Swannies yesterday.
The Blues played better wet weather footy at the well grassed Friendlies in Benalla and were too strong up forward whether with or against the 5 goal wind.
Longwood, on the other hand could change their name to the "chameleons" as they keep having wholesale changes in the line up each week.

Redlegs can't be discounted as yet, while the foreign legion gets to know each other and I suppose the Bats could be now included in the "have nots" also as the Doon gave them a thumping at Serenity Stadium. 'Bout 15 goals I think.

On and upward to infinity for the Redlegs! But for '09 we have to stay in a holding pattern to look forward to 2010.

Cheers
John Carrot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back