Bendigo FL discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

With the way technology is in the current day and age you would think there should be a way to set the live scoring up to be synchronised with the electronic scoreboards there are already enough jobs to do for club volunteers Iā€™m not a technological guru but Iā€™d imagine there are some sharp minds out there who could make it work

Or one of the 27 go to the ground and do it themselves so the volunteers can concentrate on the important things... like running the club on game day

The way they operate that would mean putting on 5 more full time staff as ā€˜engagement officersā€™ on 75k a year each, with costs passed in to the clubs via increased affiliation fees.

Gonna be fun when all the metro leagues move to PlayHQ too next year

I know right I Canā€™t believe it. Play HQ is crap. In this day and age Iā€™m sure there is someone out there who could make it work.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Or one of the 27 go to the ground and do it themselves so the volunteers can concentrate on the important things... like running the club on game day
Come on Jayco a club could pay a 14 year old a pie and two cokes or $20 to work an IPad for two hours. Why does it have to be a volunteer from the committee?

Come on Jayco a club could pay a 14 year old a pie and two cokes or $20 to work an IPad for two hours. Why does it have to be a volunteer from the committee?

I know one club ā€œemployā€˜sā€ two experienced ladies to update the scores while they sit in the car watching
It costs the club two cups of tea and a scone after the U18ā€™s. The goal scorers and best players are delivered with the cuppaā€™s
Same deal after the Reserves. But itā€™s sandwiches and soup.
After the seniors the true supporters at home games bring the ipad in and have a wine and head home.
They have the best carpark at the oval.

I know one club ā€œemployā€˜sā€ two experienced ladies to update the scores while they sit in the car watching
It costs the club two cups of tea and a scone after the U18ā€™s. The goal scorers and best players are delivered with the cuppaā€™s
Same deal after the Reserves. But itā€™s sandwiches and soup.
After the seniors the true supporters at home games bring the ipad in and have a wine and head home.
They have the best carpark at the oval.
Yep it's called thinking outside the square.

Committe folk can get on with their many and varied important jobs and people not at the ground can monitor live. I noted that all games in the GVFL had live scores all day. The BFL should be the same. It's not that difficult.

I understand Community league leagues/ clubs might have a different mandate.

Yep it's called thinking outside the square.

Committe folk can get on with their many and varied important jobs and people not at the ground can monitor live. I noted that all games in the GVFL had live scores all day. The BFL should be the same. It's not that difficult.

I understand Community league leagues/ clubs might have a different mandate.
And would it be that hard to text scores to Fresh FM who give regular updates of district games during their broadcasts.

How easy is that. Don't even need an iPad!

Well obviously most clubs dont have them if it's not getting done. As I've said before, on the list of important things for the volunteers to do on game day this would be last... and by a long way
What does it matter anyway?? Doesn't change anything getting a minute by minute update or waiting till Sunday morning

I donā€™t think the issue is having someone to do it, the issue is the system either fails or people canā€™t work out how to use it.

AFLCV should be finding out why any time it doesnā€™t work and working with the clubs to resolve the issue. Instead they just let it fail week after week after week with no action, so essentially just their approach to everything.

And would it be that hard to text scores to Fresh FM who give regular updates of district games during their broadcasts.

How easy is that. Don't even need an iPad!
I've just started getting into the local footy again and love listening to the Fresh FM broadcasts. I just wish that they could provide the number to text on every time they ask if people can send in scores. I've listened for the past 3 odd weeks whilst driving to and from work and I can't recall the phone number ever being given out unfortunately. I imagine if some people who are listening and are at other grounds who can send in scores would do so if the number was provided more often. I can't see it on their Facebook page either? Not sure if they're checking their messages on FB and Twitter during the matches either as another option, rather than texting?

Edit: Sorry have found the mobile number in the intro section of their FB page. Still if they could provide it during the broadcast that would be fantastic :)

Last edited:
Hi guys does anyone know when the Victorian league rankings will be released? (If they havenā€™t been already) cheers

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With the way technology is in the current day and age you would think there should be a way to set the live scoring up to be synchronised with the electronic scoreboards there are already enough jobs to do for club volunteers Iā€™m not a technological guru but Iā€™d imagine there are some sharp minds out there who could make it work

Cricket already has this so youā€™d think itā€™d be very possibleā€¦

Well obviously most clubs dont have them if it's not getting done. As I've said before, on the list of important things for the volunteers to do on game day this would be last... and by a long way
What does it matter anyway?? Doesn't change anything getting a minute by minute update or waiting till Sunday morning
People are used to a minute by minute scores in AFL and live sport. Major footy league clubs have been provided with the technology to provide minute by minute live updates and while PlayHQ is shite, I don't care if it's two old ladies in the best car park at the ground drinking tea and eating scones, or a 14 year old eating a pie and drinking free Coca-Cola... It is an expectation.

I love a Saturday afternoon checking live scores in the BFL, GVFL and Ammos while losing my hard earned at Flemington. šŸ˜­

I do understand mandates might be different in community leagues as I note the KDFL and HDFL don't do it. And hey ... that's okay.

People are used to a minute by minute scores in AFL and live sport. Major footy league clubs have been provided with the technology to provide minute by minute live updates and while PlayHQ is shite, I don't care if it's two old ladies in the best car park at the ground drinking tea and eating scones, or a 14 year old eating a pie and drinking free Coca-Cola... It is an expectation.

I love a Saturday afternoon checking live scores in the BFL, GVFL and Ammos while losing my hard earned at Flemington. šŸ˜­

I do understand mandates might be different in community leagues as I note the KDFL and HDFL don't do it. And hey ... that's okay.
šŸ¤¦ā€ā™‚ļø Obviously not all clubs have 2 old ladies or 14yrs to do the job... so if it's an expectation, as you say, maybe said leagues need to front up their own people to do it cause as I've said the volunteers clubs do have have more important things to do.
And if your so keen on the scores maybe go to a game and do the scores for a club rather than going to flemington šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

Obviously not all clubs have 2 old ladies or 14yrs to do the job... so if it's an expectation, as you say, maybe said leagues need to front up their own people to do it cause as I've said the volunteers clubs do have have more important things to do.
And if your so keen on the scores maybe go to a game and do the scores for a club rather than going to flemington

If your club canā€™t find someone to do a little job that to be fair doesnā€™t take to much energy maybe the club needs a reset.

Some clubs continue to look inside for the help. Plenty of people in each town donā€™t go to the footy or netball. Give them a reason too go. Go ask some outsiders.

šŸ¤¦ā€ā™‚ļø Obviously not all clubs have 2 old ladies or 14yrs to do the job... so if it's an expectation, as you say, maybe said leagues need to front up their own people to do it cause as I've said the volunteers clubs do have have more important things to do.
And if your so keen on the scores maybe go to a game and do the scores for a club rather than going to flemington šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø
You sound like a true luddite resisting any sort of technological progress whatsoever. I keep advocating that volunteers need not be doing this job.

Contemporary clubs who flourish in this day and age have a huge social media footprint. I have noted a significant change in this regard in the way my old club is operating this year. Live scores are a small component of that overall footprint.

Don't presume to think I travel to Flemington on Saturdays and don't presume I live locally. You know who I support, but this is the BFL thread discussing live scoring.

You sound like a true luddite resisting any sort of technological progress whatsoever. I keep advocating that volunteers need not be doing this job.

Contemporary clubs who flourish in this day and age have a huge social media footprint. I have noted a significant change in this regard in the way my old club is operating this year. Live scores are a small component of that overall footprint.

Don't presume to think I travel to Flemington on Saturdays and don't presume I live locally. You know who I support, but this is the BFL thread discussing live scoring.
I'm not against technological advances... its people complaining about such a little thing when clubs are struggling on field and off. And if volunteers don't do it who does?? Isnt everyone at club land a volunteer?? Im sure it's not gonna be a paid job??
Anyway doesn't matter how much we talk about on here it won't make any difference to whether a club does it or not.....

Try and convince Jayco of that! Apparently it's too hard.
Where in my posts have i said its too hard??... the task itself is apparently easy enough for 2 older ladies in their car to do it. But not all clubs have that. Its finding someone to do a task of very, very, minimal importance thats the issue.
Anyway just get one of the coaches to do it. Most 'major' leagues clubs have half a dozen assistant/line coaches... chuck one of them the ipad.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Bendigo FL discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Back