Strath
Gisborne
Sandhurst
Kyneton
Kangaroo Flat
South
Maryborough
Castlemaine

Big Sliders - Gisborne have lost 9 from their premiership side and only brought into 2. One from Castlemaine and one from Trentham, had outstanding depth due to there 18s, but with the quality they have loss will drop back

South Bendigo - Got lucky last year can’t see them winning more than 6 games this year, funds have dried up, players asked to take pay cuts already before season starts. Wouldn’t be surprised if a few more leave by clearances

Improvers

Eaglehawk - a near moral to win the flag from what I’m heading. If Jarryn Geary plays more than half a year will win the Michelson. A fit Cam Manuel only one who will get close to him

Michelson

Jarryn Geary, Cam Manuel or Bailey Edwards

Main Headlines

Castlemaine pull the pin on eve of season

League cracks down hard on Sandhurst poaching juniors from struggling clubs,
How do Kyneton miss finals?

How do Kyneton miss finals?
Unfortunately I think there’s only room for one team to come in as South will be the only one coming out, and Eaglehawk have had as good as recruiting campaign as you will see

Driscoll and Bartrop hurt and the quality of those players are not easy to replace, a lot will depend on the availability of the 2 that are on VFL lists . If they play the majority of weeks at Kyneton, with what they have brought in to what they have lost will be a 2/3 better goal side.

The issue I can see with this point is there would be far too many clubs asking for the support for the AFL to be able to manage it.
AFL are getting a bit of attention at the moment for their lack of care or promoting grass roots footy, with Martin Flanagan writing in the age, the demise of Tassie footy through the state, it's an interesting time, as the AFLs prime concern is Auskick numbers, elite AFL junior pathways and AFL only

A
Now that majority of lists are finalised here is my 2023 prediction

Eaglehawk
Square
Strath
Gisborne
Sandhurst
Kyneton
Kangaroo Flat
South
Maryborough
Castlemaine

Big Sliders - Gisborne have lost 9 from their premiership side and only brought into 2. One from Castlemaine and one from Trentham, had outstanding depth due to there 18s, but with the quality they have loss will drop back

South Bendigo - Got lucky last year can’t see them winning more than 6 games this year, funds have dried up, players asked to take pay cuts already before season starts. Wouldn’t be surprised if a few more leave by clearances

Improvers

Eaglehawk - a near moral to win the flag from what I’m heading. If Jarryn Geary plays more than half a year will win the Michelson. A fit Cam Manuel only one who will get close to him

Michelson

Main Headlines

League cracks down hard on Sandhurst poaching juniors from struggling clubs,Aboksute

Eaglehawk
Square
Strath
Gisborne
Sandhurst
Kyneton
Kangaroo Flat
South
Maryborough
Castlemaine

Improvers

Michelson

Main Headlines

Absolute rocks in your head thinking flat will finish above south

Lots of comments about mergers which is IMO is way off the mark. Putting 2 fat ugly chicks / blokes together does not make a good looking person.

1. Castlemaine and Maryborough need a $200k a year salary cap "grant from AFL HQ" to stay in BFL. They then might be able to attract local and quality players.
2. Creek needs to fold and stay folded
3. Harcourt stays in MCDFNL .. a growing town with a positive future
4. Fold Rovers and Bushy while at it.
5. Definitely lower the points for Strath, Square, Sandhurst and the Borough... who cares if the comp standard drops. We want competitive games, not a pissing contest against the GV, O&M or GFL.

The solutions are straightforward, but no one in AFL CV will have the courage to take action so we will face another farked, loop-sided season.

Over and out.
Mergers need to be considered as people are lost to the game if a club folds. They generally aren't attached to another club and walk away disillusioned with the game. If some history and a name can be retained via a merger that has to be a positive. Around central Victoria there are many clubs struggling, these include Royal Park, Rovers, Campbell's Creek, Dunolly, Newbridge and Inglewood. The list seems to get longer each year.

What are we going to do about it? I have no idea as many clubs are too stubborn to concede they need to look at their future despite having issues with player numbers and reliant on the same ageing group of volunteers each year. Whilst it's good to try and retain your identity, common sense needs to come to fruition at some stage. This is where the commission and other influential bodies need to get involved and provide leadership and direction. Unfortunately that's not the case with the head in the sand approach being at the fore at this time.

I (and many others) are tired and not particularly interested in seeing the same teams dominate the competition although whilst these teams are well run and financial, they do 'pillage' the weaker clubs for players and the commission does nothing about it to stop the use of this approach.

Some conversations and difficult decisions are needed but unfortunately the powers that be do not have the courage to work towards making football competitive and sustainable across the region. The longer the matter goes unchecked, the higher the possibility clubs will drop by the wayside and never return, impacting communities in many ways along with the loss of history and tradition.

Perhaps those in charge have Darwins theory of evolution in their mind with only the strongest surviving. That cannot be a good thing if true.

Last edited:
AFL Vic has been in free fall ever since they pushed out the likes of Steve reaper etc - They knew footy and they knew the challenges clubs face

The points system was brought in by these guys but is failing because they don’t even know how to manage it !

It’s all lead from the stiff necks at AFL HQ that believe VAFA etc don’t get paid etc etc - they have no idea what they are doing to the game in the state - it’s laughable

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

AFL are getting a bit of attention at the moment for their lack of care or promoting grass roots footy, with Martin Flanagan writing in the age, the demise of Tassie footy through the state, it's an interesting time, as the AFLs prime concern is Auskick numbers, elite AFL junior pathways and AFL only
What do the AFL put into Auskick in country area’s?
The kids pay $95 and get a few gimmicks in a pack. Clubs have to find volunteers to run sessions and get nothing for it.

Eaglehawk
Square
Strath
Gisborne
Sandhurst
Kyneton
Kangaroo Flat
South
Maryborough
Castlemaine

Improvers

Michelson

Main Headlines

The comments about South Bendigo are a surprise to me. How factual are they - where does your information come from?

Who are the juniors Sandhurst poached from struggling clubs?

What do the AFL put into Auskick in country area’s?
The kids pay $95 and get a few gimmicks in a pack. Clubs have to find volunteers to run sessions and get nothing for it.
Not much but it's pretty cheap compared to other sports, $95 includes, what 10 weeks of Auskick, they get a footy, bag, not many other sports do that

Do we think Castlemaine start the season? It seems like a long time coming. A quick search showed they haven't beaten anyone besides Maryborough or Flat since 2016.

No finals for Maryborough since 2010 and Castlemaine since 2005. The clubs/ supporters etc deserve better, but it seems like it might only come competing in a lower league?

Do we think Castlemaine start the season? It seems like a long time coming. A quick search showed they haven't beaten anyone besides Maryborough or Flat since 2016.

No finals for Maryborough since 2010 and Castlemaine since 2005. The clubs/ supporters etc deserve better, but it seems like it might only come competing in a lower league?
If the clubs supporters deserve better then they might want to actually 'support the clubs'. This has been a big issue, the supporters don't deserve anything until they actually become what the word suggests.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I stand by what I said earlier, from what I'm hearing it's very unlikely they will get a senior side up and will field all others in football and netball.
Surely they put a public call for help, the home of Ron barrassi, you never know a couple of guys with experience might help, benalla managed last year, and they might play finals this year

Eaglehawk
Square
Strath
Gisborne
Sandhurst
Kyneton
Kangaroo Flat
South
Maryborough
Castlemaine

Improvers

Michelson

Main Headlines

Who has Gisborne lost? They don’t publish clearances on the Bendigo League Website any more.

Who has Gisborne lost? They don’t publish clearances on the Bendigo League Website any more.
Kemp, Minns, Foreman, Panuccio, Rodgers, Bernacki (full time VFL) . qll played in the 22 Flag.
Lost Shore n McDonald, both depth players who played swnior footy at times.
will lose 18's from last year to the Giants who play 19.5's which will affect their twos progression i guess.

Kemp, Minns, Foreman, Panuccio, Rodgers, Bernacki (full time VFL) . qll played in the 22 Flag.
will lose 18's from last year to the Giants who play 19.5's which will affect their twos progression i guess.
Why are leagues allowing under 19.5? Surely if you can have a drink and vote you can play senior footy

Scanlon has also retired so basically only leaves McKenna from their forward line from last year so that’s a big change to the look of their side they’ve always had good depth but still big shoes to fill for players coming up from the 2’s and 18’s plus Dennahey from Castlemaine

Why are leagues allowing under 19.5? Surely if you can have a drink and vote you can play senior footy
The Riddell league have under 19’s and I’ve also heard the same as Humphrey that quite a few have decided to go to the other Gisborne team to play with them rather than step up to reserve or senior footy

Has Castlemaine got money to spend on players?

Financial stability has almost never been an issue for Castlemaine.

The Riddell league have under 19’s and I’ve also heard the same as Humphrey that quite a few have decided to go to the other Gisborne team to play with them rather than step up to reserve or senior footy

Which is exactly why I think Kyneton are inevitably heading there before long.

The depth of the Riddell league 19.5 comp also means that you can easily create a team that will win a grand final.

The depth of the Riddell league 19.5 comp also means that you can easily create a team that will win a grand final.
We've got a shortage of senior footballers through the state, and we've got leagues with under 19s? Has to be one of the dumbest things I've seen.

Surely for the benefit of footy in the area around Macedon, we play under 18s?

Remove this Banner Ad

Bendigo FL discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Back