Bendigo FL discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

We've got a shortage of senior footballers through the state, and we've got leagues with under 19s? Has to be one of the dumbest things I've seen.

Surely for the benefit of footy in the area around Macedon, we play under 18s?

Could also be argued it is keeping kids involved at an age when they drop off in big numbers, due to not feeling up to playing open age footy.

I'd love to see reserves footy replaced by a colts type system.

Could also be argued it is keeping kids involved at an age when they drop off in big numbers, due to not feeling up to playing open age footy.

I'd love to see reserves footy replaced by a colts type system.
Might sound dumb... but how would your colts system be set up?? Do players have to be a certain age??

Might sound dumb... but how would your colts system be set up?? Do players have to be a certain age??

I've mentioned it before but something like an under 23s with a few exemptions allowed.

I know people tend to rail against it but generally struggling clubs find under 18 players easier than reserves to find. If you could improve the retention and keep those 17 and 18 year olds playing as 20 and 21 year olds it would make a big difference.

The best would still be playing seniors but your second level players would be far more likely to continue with footy I think.

The future of footy doesn't lie in 35 or 40 year old blokes filling up reserve teams.

I've mentioned it before but something like an under 23s with a few exemptions allowed.

I know people tend to rail against it but generally struggling clubs find under 18 players easier than reserves to find. If you could improve the retention and keep those 17 and 18 year olds playing as 20 and 21 year olds it would make a big difference.

The best would still be playing seniors but your second level players would be far more likely to continue with footy I think.

The future of footy doesn't lie in 35 or 40 year old blokes filling up reserve teams.
What happens to the those over 23? My concern would be players between 24-35 would be lost to the game if they aren't playing seniors and twos players are typically the heart and soul of clubs. I may be missing something but I struggle to see how limiting who can actually play footy would result in a better outcome for footy.

What happens to the those over 23?

They can still play, there's a certain amount of exemptions allowed. Would need a survey of clubs to find out what their current demographics are to find the sweet spots.

I had it explained to me by someone from WA (I think) who was from a comp where they have implemented it, and apparently it works really well.

They can still play, there's a certain amount of exemptions allowed. Would need a survey of clubs to find out what their current demographics are to find the sweet spots.

I had it explained to me by someone from WA (I think) who was from a comp where they have implemented it, and apparently it works really well.
MortlockWatcher would have a good understanding of the Colts system in WA.

Might work at a league like the VAFA or the top level county leagues, but I think in reality this already happens naturally. older twos players with some ability find their way to the lower level leagues for senior opportunities and a little cash.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I can’t see them troubling the south’s / eaglehawks / Gisborne’s of the comp

Could be a long year

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Not to be a broken record but nothing sums up the issues in the league more than this.

For all the work and hard fought progress Kyneton has made they are looking like going backwards this year.

Without equalisation these clubs are doomed.

Not to be a broken record but nothing sums up the issues in the league more than this.

For all the work and hard fought progress Kyneton has made they are looking like going backwards this year.

Not having a go at any one here but the problems raised about the competitiveness of clubs here is a problem statewide. Succsess breeds succsess. I dont know what equalisation looks like or how it would be implemented. Since footy first started most sides have had ups and downs in terms of premierships however in the last 15 to 20 years not much has changed at the pointy end. Players from previous eras were loyal to their home clubs and were prepared to play there for nothing. These days everyone has their handout. Ordinary footballers are being paid good money for little results. AFLVIC are useless and dont appear to have any plan to solve country footballs problems. So where does the answer lie? Perhaps a meeting off all league executives organised outside of the AFLVIC at the end of a season and formulate where leagues want to head? Or are the successful monied clubs prepared to follow the road we are on now and see clubs continue to disappear.

Bev is fine!

Sad to lose one of the clubs best ever and most loyal not only player but person! However sometimes family comes before Footy, and he has left with well wishes from everyone at the Kyneton Football Club!

If manuals still there, with chappy in charge, they should still push for the 5, they've lost 3 good players, which provides opportunity for their thirds

If manuals still there, with chappy in charge, they should still push for the 5, they've lost 3 good players, which provides opportunity for their thirds

Yep but 5th to contending is still a fair gap. They likely need those three good players plus 3 to 5 more to win a flag and that's before losing anyone else.

They seem to be flying at the moment yet will still only do as well as last year at best. It's a very hard road.

Bartop, Driscoll and Mangin are huge losses. But I wouldn’t be writing zkyneton off yet, they always seem to pull a few cracking recruits from somewhere. Rumour of a gun small forward from VAFA mentioned on here previously. They have kept it very hush hush this year and I don’t think it’s a bad thing for their future, gives more locals a go. I still see them being very strong in the BFL in the future

Very strong rumour coming from Gisborne - They are having a massive crack at Bailey Henderson as they are resigned to the fact that Castlemaine won’t be getting up. He has 2 mates there and they are willing to sell the farm for a bloke that will play 4 games and stop their other kids from getting a game / interesting move !!

This is very strong / close to the core mail

Watch this space

Not having a go at any one here but the problems raised about the competitiveness of clubs here is a problem statewide. Succsess breeds succsess. I dont know what equalisation looks like or how it would be implemented. Since footy first started most sides have had ups and downs in terms of premierships however in the last 15 to 20 years not much has changed at the pointy end. Players from previous eras were loyal to their home clubs and were prepared to play there for nothing. These days everyone has their handout. Ordinary footballers are being paid good money for little results. AFLVIC are useless and dont appear to have any plan to solve country footballs problems. So where does the answer lie? Perhaps a meeting off all league executives organised outside of the AFLVIC at the end of a season and formulate where leagues want to head? Or are the successful monied clubs prepared to follow the road we are on now and see clubs continue to disappear.

Equalisation looks like this.

Take from the Top sides
Give to the bottom sides.

Makes a comp equal.

Equally average but hey. It’s equal.

If you want an example of how to start the process. Just look at AFLw.

It’s a shit show.

Cause untrust
Inflate people’s wages for them to shift and be unloyal
Teach everyone that it’s not a team first approach.

Yep. Let’s be equal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Equalisation looks like this.

Take from the Top sides
Give to the bottom sides.

Makes a comp equal.

Equally average but hey. It’s equal.

If you want an example of how to start the process. Just look at AFLw.

It’s a s**t show.

Cause untrust
Inflate people’s wages for them to shift and be unloyal
Teach everyone that it’s not a team first approach.

Yep. Let’s be equal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How can you have equality when the only 2 teams in the BFL this year to lose points were south and kyneton !

Sandhurst with their juniors advantage and board members as close supporters should have won the last 15 flags !

Remove this Banner Ad

Bendigo FL discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Back