Bendigo FL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Castlemaine were more than respectable today. Instead of shitting on them falling short maybe acknowledge they've come a long way.

Maryborough on the other hand will be lucky to see out the season the way they went today.

I’d say sandhurst will get a tap on the shoulder from their advisory committee (BFNL board ) this week and plead for them to take it easy on Maryborough next week.

Save themselves $10k and run the reserves around

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I'd suggest square fielded a less experienced side then castlemaine today
On a positive note, accepting that Gisborne, Sandhurst, Strathfieldsaye and Eaglehawk will most likely be the top four teams, Square, Kangaroo Flat, South & Castlemaine are all a chance for fifth spot and finals. Castlemaine will have to start winning games soon though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well that was disappointing, two last quarter fade outs in as many weeks.

The hangovers don’t improve with close losses I can tell you.

Good signs again but pretty clear it’s going to be a transition year, not making the five or even in the mix. At this point you’d have to say we won’t improve on last year’s ladder spot but with hugely improved percentage.

Don’t want to be churlish in defeat and mention the umpiring so after yesterday I’m definitely not going to mention the umpiring. Like absolutely not going to mention it.

Good signs again but pretty clear it’s going to be a transition year, not making the five or even in the mix. At this point you’d have to say we won’t improve on last year’s ladder spot but with hugely improved percentage.

Don’t want to be churlish in defeat and mention the umpiring so after yesterday I’m definitely not going to mention the umpiring. Like absolutely not going to mention it.
5.30 Tuesdays and Thursdays at Weeroona Oval. They'll gladly accept you.

I would not give up on making the five yet. I certainly don't see Square, Flat or South being a class above you. You can correct me if I am wrong Forest but I have a vague memory that the last Castlemaine side to beat Square (around 2005? and they absolutely thrashed them), were themselves belted by Square earlier in the year. Perhaps you were in or close to that team. I think Stephen Oliver kicked goal no 1000 for the Maine in that game. Your 2005 team showed what can be done.

I would not give up on making the five yet. I certainly don't see Square, Flat or South being a class above you. You can correct me if I am wrong Forest but I have a vague memory that the last Castlemaine side to beat Square (around 2005? and they absolutely thrashed them), were themselves belted by Square earlier in the year. Perhaps you were in or close to that team. I think Stephen Oliver kicked goal no 1000 for the Maine in that game. Your 2005 team showed what can be done.
Maine were a chance to win the flag that year, not sure anyone flogged them. Went out in straight sets, and I think the players gave the clubrooms a nice workout that Sunday night after losing to south.

Maine were a chance to win the flag that year, not sure anyone flogged them. Went out in straight sets, and I think the players gave the clubrooms a nice workout that Sunday night after losing to south.
I have tried to look up the records Trent but cannot find them. However my memory is of a massive turn around. In 2005 Square thrashed (flogged) Maine early in the season then when they met later in the season it was the complete opposite. It only takes one good win to reshape a season. Even a week can be a long time in football. Ask South Bendigo supporters.

I have tried to look up the records Trent but cannot find them. However my memory is of a massive turn around. In 2005 Square thrashed (flogged) Maine early in the season then when they met later in the season it was the complete opposite. It only takes one good win to reshape a season. Even a week can be a long time in football. Ask South Bendigo supporters.

Testing my memory there, we had a great year in 2005 until the finals and barely lost a game. Can’t remember being belted but the Square thumpings have been so frequent they tend to blend together!

Putting this here to appeal to all clubs who have excess players - try and help otherwise these guys could be in serious strife

25e1b9aad8ac168c582c6683f7a64b71.jpg

Putting this here to appeal to all clubs who have excess players - try and help otherwise these guys could be in serious strife

Can only imagine how dire things are to have to go done that pathway.

Unfortunately it would have been a hard road six months ago, can’t imagine there being many spare players to shake loose now.

Fingers crossed they find a way through this.

Last edited:
Can only imagine how dire things are to have to go done that pathway.

Unfortunately it would have been a hard road six months ago, can’t imagine there being many spare players to shake loose now.

Fingers crossed they find a way through this.
Thanks everyone for your thoughts. Despite the hard work over the Summer things remain a bit challenging.

Hopefully we can secure some additional players although as I have mentioned previously many individuals we spoke to during the off season wanted way more money than the club can afford. We were relatively confident all was going to be ok but a spate of injuries and changes in personal circumstances have affected the club. The club remains in a good position financially and has good community and corporate support. Unfortunately football in the Maryborough area is doing it tough at this time.

All involved are doing an amazing job keeping things positive. The doors have not closed and we are experiencing what many other clubs across Victoria are also going through. The football environment is very much the 'have and have nots' as is seen in many competitions.

It was a big (and correct) call from the committee to do this as the belief was it was best to be open and transparent with the situation the club is facing (many clubs would prefer to keep things 'in house'). I am confident the club will get through this although the light at the end of the tunnel is a bit further away than we anticipated. The big thing that has stood out over recent times is the commitment and passion our people have. I have been around football for a long time in many places and I have rarely seen efforts like I am seeing currently at Maryborough FNC. The quality of people the club has involved is second to none.

More updates to come as things happen.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for your thoughts. Despite the hard work over the Summer things remain a bit challenging.

Hopefully we can secure some additional players although as I have mentioned previously many individuals we spoke to during the off season wanted way more money than the club can afford. We were relatively confident all was going to be ok but a spate of injuries and changes in personal circumstances have affected the club. The club remains in a good position financially and has good community and corporate support. Unfortunately football in the Maryborough area is doing it tough at this time.

All involved are doing an amazing job keeping things positive. The doors have not closed and we are experiencing what many other clubs across Victoria are also going through. The football environment is very much the 'have and have nots' as is seen in many competitions.

It was a big (and correct) call from the committee to do this as the belief was it was best to be open and transparent with the situation the club is facing (many clubs would prefer to keep things 'in house'). I am confident the club will get through this although the light at the end of the tunnel is a bit further away than we anticipated. The big thing that has stood out over recent times is the commitment and passion our people have. I have been around football for a long time in many places and I have rarely seen efforts like I am seeing currently at Maryborough FNC. The quality of people the club has involved is second to none.

More updates to come as things happen.
How would they fare against Carisbrook?

I'd love to see maryborough back, gee they had some guns worth watching over the years, like bond, tranter, moniz, Aston, sumner, peart etc.

they looked pretty good in the first half against castlemaine round 1.

What can the club do to get the best kids coming in from the mcdfl?

Remove this Banner Ad

Bendigo FL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back