Bendigo FL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Wrong mate, Bairnsdale has fantastic record at “kids” level, under 18s, 16s, won a stack of flags, played finals over many years. But issue has been transitioning, keeping them for senior level. Many factors at play, kids leave area, don’t return for work, uni. This year got best senior team for 10 years or so. Still chance to play finals despite losing a few they should won have in a comp that is really competitive down to Maffra on bottom of ladder.
My apologies, I worked with a guy who was a playing assistant coach there who won their bnf and a south bendigo one as well and he said there was real trouble getting guys to come in from the east Gippsland league

Because someone doesn't join in on your constant, tiresome sook fest they must be on the board?
You got off lightly Arnold. As well as being on the board I was also being accused of working for the Advertiser. (Pretty clever when I live in QLD).

I hope for your sake you don't also live in Sandhurst Road.

I hate how the private schools are taking over…. But it seems to me all the elite kids that are on the draft radar will be receiving a scholarship from one school or another, and the parents of full fee paying kids will continue to pay top dollar in school fees under the impression that it will give their kid more chance to be noticed…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Same & agree that is how it has evolved.
My concern is, what then of the kid that struggles at school? coming in from the farm for a kick or otherwise looking at doing an apprenticeship?
Comparisons to the US dont really apply because they don't really have community sport in the way that we do in Aus.
Closer to home, it's part of the reason that Rugby struggles in Aus because it sidelines most of the community so people look to other sports.
Either way, it's interesting to watch the evolution, my concern is that it's seemingly deteriorated significantly over the past decade.

Mag just sitting back watching the comp implode - laughing stock of country footy and half you muppets agree with how it’s being administered

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Mags ran out of negatives things to say.

I’m not sure any other league is laughing at the Bendigo league, I’d say they’re concentrating on their own issues.

Same & agree that is how it has evolved.
My concern is, what then of the kid that struggles at school? coming in from the farm for a kick or otherwise looking at doing an apprenticeship?
Comparisons to the US dont really apply because they don't really have community sport in the way that we do in Aus.
Closer to home, it's part of the reason that Rugby struggles in Aus because it sidelines most of the community so people look to other sports.
Either way, it's interesting to watch the evolution, my concern is that it's seemingly deteriorated significantly over the past decade.
Yep it's becoming an elitist game sadly, there's less and less Gary abletts, dusty Doug Hawkins ever going to get drafted

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mags ran out of negatives things to say.

I’m not sure any other league is laughing at the Bendigo league, I’d say they’re concentrating on their own issues.
I’d suggest that every other league should be looking at Bendigo, there is plenty to learn.

You can't have an 8 team major league comp for sure
Trent for decades the Bendigo League had eight teams. What to me is far more important is having competitive teams. At the moment the top five are competitive enough. I think by far the best dose of medicine the BFNL could have would be for Castlemaine, South Bendigo & Kangaroo Flat to improve to the level of the time five. Castlemaine are not far of the mark.

You could have twenty teams in the competition but if fifteen are just making up numbers little will have improved.

Trent for decades the Bendigo League had eight teams. What to me is far more important is having competitive teams. At the moment the top five are competitive enough. I think by far the best dose of medicine the BFNL could have would be for Castlemaine, South Bendigo & Kangaroo Flat to improve to the level of the time five. Castlemaine are not far of the mark.

You could have twenty teams in the competition but if fifteen are just making up numbers little will have improved.
Agree. 8-9 teams is the way to go and focusing on each team to be as competitive as possible.
I think South is the biggest concern of all clubs, and has been for 20 years now, they just don't manage to retain quality juniors as they transition to senior players - crowd numbers would be the worst of any club in the BFL.

Council been to board meetings across all leagues apparently. Hope this isn't just a "new to the role" boost.

You can't have an 8 team major league comp for sure
There’s been 5 competitive teams for years.
What you need is others to come up not even the a comp that has already dropped, if you don't that's where you lose the major league status its quality not quantity.
Agree. 8-9 teams is the way to go and focusing on each team to be as competitive as possible.
I think South is the biggest concern of all clubs, and has been for 20 years now, they just don't manage to retain quality juniors as they transition to senior players - crowd numbers would be the worst of any club in the BFL.
South are improving junior programs will take time but they'll be ok.

It'll just take 2-5 years to compete again.

Believe that the new council can have as many as 7 members. Are the current 4 to be added to? Just my two bobs worth but someone like a Leo Demeo with at least 4 decades of footy involvement at a playing, coaching and league admin level would be a great addition.

Council been to board meetings across all leagues apparently. Hope this isn't just a "new to the role" boost.
Well make up your mind. Previous board critisized for being out of touch and now the new council touch base with league boards under their control. Imagine the uproar if they did nothing. I think they need some time before we form any opinions.

Well make up your mind. Previous board critisized for being out of touch and now the new council touch base with league boards under their control. Imagine the uproar if they did nothing. I think they need some time before we form any opinions.
Calm down its not a criticism.

Why does everyone have so much hate for talent league and want to get rid of it? It’s going no where obviously I just don’t understand how you think removing it helps anything.

(Not-so) Fun Fact: The Bendigo Pioneers have not finished any higher than 10th since the end of the 2003 season, when they finished sixth.

Something is wrong with the system.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back