Bendigo FL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not too fazed where they finish, there's talent here. But dusty basically had to single-handedly torch golden square in senior footy to get a game. He kicked 5 in a half against arguably the best team in Victoria outside the vfl at the time.

I can't see in the current setup south, flat or mwine really ever making finals, unless gisborne leave

(Not-so) Fun Fact: The Bendigo Pioneers have not finished any higher than 10th since the end of the 2003 season, when they finished sixth.

Something is wrong with the system.
Win/loss is not the biggest measure of success with Pios. Kids improving and having the chance to develop into the best footballer they can is. Having kids drafted out of the program is another factor. Who cares who won talent league GF. Without looking it up who won 2014? 2008? 2022?

Off topic, but as a point of difference, 36 players have been drafted from St Patrick's College Ballarat in the past 23 years. I wonder how many of those might have been Pioneers players but for Boarding opportunities?

drafted directly as a result of the school football program? thats massive

Off topic, but as a point of difference, 36 players have been drafted from St Patrick's College Ballarat in the past 23 years. I wonder how many of those might have been Pioneers players but for Boarding opportunities?
St Pat's & BCC are hubs for players from Central & Western Victoria.
Jesse Palmer is a prime example, from Swan Hill way initially, boarded at St Pat's, played for North Ballarat (BFL) & the Rebels.

Win/loss is not the biggest measure of success with Pios. Kids improving and having the chance to develop into the best footballer they can is. Having kids drafted out of the program is another factor. Who cares who won talent league GF. Without looking it up who won 2014? 2008? 2022?
Yep but you've got scott pendlebury rocking up and doing coaching at an aps school. 20 years ago it was rhe best system, not anymore. The best country kids generally have a scholarship. Daniels and Brander also was a geelong grammar and hardly played for the pios, as was the other dow. Add in bruhn, serong also playing most of their footy at the grammar from other parts of regional Vic

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep but you've got scott pendlebury rocking up and doing coaching at an aps school. 20 years ago it was rhe best system, not anymore. The best country kids generally have a scholarship. Daniels and Brander also was a geelong grammar and hardly played for the pios, as was the other dow. Add in bruhn, serong also playing most of their footy at the grammar from other parts of regional Vic
School footy has been around long before TAC, so I’m not sure this will be disrupted. Maybe it’s time to bring back AFL club under 19s coupled with some mid-year training camps for selected players in the lead up to the draft. The U19 games could still be played regionally.

Here’s one on a similar theme that I heard a while ago and have checked out and found to be true.

Apparently a group of players from lots of clubs approached the league and said they were keen to play interleague but wanted to be paid or at minimum have the league guarantee any loss of match payments for any subsequent matches missed as a result of an interleague injury.

Understand they were told no for now but will be considered next year.

Have to say I’m with the players on this. They are at least semi professional players now and many of them are drawing significant incomes from the game. We can argue about whether or not that should have happened but it has and I think it’s fair enough they protect their interest.
For me though that should mean the end of interleague games.

School footy has been around long before TAC, so I’m not sure this will be disrupted. Maybe it’s time to bring back AFL club under 19s coupled with some mid-year training camps for selected players in the lead up to the draft. The U19 games could still be played regionally.
I think it’s time for each AFL club to have an U/19 Academy. Players can be drafted by any club but their own Academy can have first pick. The Coates League has run its race.

I think it’s time for each AFL club to have an U/19 Academy. Players can be drafted by any club but their own Academy can have first pick. The Coates League has run its race.
Agree ringo, imagine the excitement a maryborough would have if Collingwood had maryborough and district as a zone. The club would actually be employing guys to pump up footy in the town. Castlemaine and district could have melbourne. You'd have marong, maiden gully flat newbridge, inglewoid as a zone. Sandhurst Bridgewater the northern lv clubs as a zone, white hills Huntly, square another, south, north and another minor club as one and strath heathcote and surrounds. Don't think you could put it as a league zone anymore but divide it up.

The school's football program has a partnership with the Rebels.
does all the school football team get a guaranteed spot or is it a partnership likie down here where facilities may be shared and a coach or two may help out if it gets there kids fees trimmed a bit. plenty or partnerships around melbroune that suit adults and not the actual most talentd playesr.

does all the school football team get a guaranteed spot or is it a partnership likie down here where facilities may be shared and a coach or two may help out if it gets there kids fees trimmed a bit. plenty or partnerships around melbroune that suit adults and not the actual most talentd playesr.
Playing at SPC or BCC does not guarantee a place on the Rebels list. But both schools recruit on the promise of pushing players up for preseason squads.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back