Bendigo FL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep agree and the afl could certainly help these areas. Surely Greg madigan comes back and says community camps next year at corowa, Maryborough, Benalla, Tatura etc. And play practise games there leading up to the season. There's a real disconnect between afl and community clubs even though the afl has the majority of leagues under their umbrella.

When do we see afl clubs now come up to the regions and do clinics? Surely as full time footballers it's not hard, surely they don't require that many team meetings
On the community camps. Essendon had theirs in Bendigo either 2022 or 2023. They came to some schools around Castlemaine and SPOKE to the kids. They weren't there to run a clinic! I have kids at two of the small schools they went to. One principal was able to talk them into having a kick with the kids at lunchtime.

They did run a clinic out of school hours at Wesley Hill for kids around the district, but you're kind of preaching to the converted there. There needs to be more in the schools getting kids from non-footy families interested in the game. As an added note to that the CFC Juniors been more active in the last couple of years to work with schools. AFL CV have also provided some support with that too.

Righto Carol and Cam, get your pencil and paper ready and I’ll tell you what you need to do.

There’s only one solution to Maryborough and that’s a competitive football team. Here’s how you do it.

1. Talk with the AFL and identify players likely to be delisted at the end of the year who have been completing coaching and sports management opportunities via the traineeships they provide.

2. Give them one of your pointless jobs with the hub with one of their roles being to be playing coach of Maryborough.

3. Allow Maryborough to operate without points or salary cap restrictions.

4. If they need more funds to drag the right person out drop their fees or pitch in.

That will open the door to them being able to generate some excitement on the recruiting front, especially with local players.

Of course when you do those things clubs like Castlemaine, Flat and South are going to riot so you better be ready to unveil some other solutions for the league at the same time, starting with an overhaul of the points system.

Righto Carol and Cam, get your pencil and paper ready and I’ll tell you what you need to do.

There’s only one solution to Maryborough and that’s a competitive football team. Here’s how you do it.

1. Talk with the AFL and identify players likely to be delisted at the end of the year who have been completing coaching and sports management opportunities via the traineeships they provide.

2. Give them one of your pointless jobs with the hub with one of their roles being to be playing coach of Maryborough.

3. Allow Maryborough to operate without points or salary cap restrictions.

4. If they need more funds to drag the right person out drop their fees or pitch in.

That will open the door to them being able to generate some excitement on the recruiting front, especially with local players.

Of course when you do those things clubs like Castlemaine, Flat and South are going to riot so you better be ready to unveil some other solutions for the league at the same time, starting with an overhaul of the points system.
How'd Hartley end up in Castlemaine?

Bit of luck, bit of connection with former players, right time, right place really.

That’s the model Maryborough needs though, it’s no more sustainable than Castlemaine is but it will help in the short term.
Granted you are trying Forest.
But how does this top quality player ‘potentially’ with no ties to Maryborough recruit 20/25 open age players !!!
Cost 150k extra plus existing costs that Maryborough already have.
No comments on here will provide perfect solutions as this is an extremely difficult case.
But other proactive clubs across the state have understood their current situation and found an equally interested team to merge with.
At least it provides a shared approach for volunteers and finances.
Bulks up player stocks going back to one team.
Protects History of both clubs.
The list goes on.
And yes compromise from all is required for success.
Unfortunately Mergers are a necessary evil in country football now.
Relying on outside help from HQ will get you nowhere as someone who has been involved in this process.
It was the movers and shakers at each club in the one room over number of meetings which get you to the final result.

Granted you are trying Forest.
But how does this top quality player ‘potentially’ with no ties to Maryborough recruit 20/25 open age players !!!

Lfg has repeatedly said money isn’t an issue, if they get a coach of that calibre the players will come.

He will bring a few with him and players from the district will be excited and want to be part of it. The biggest impact Hartley has had on Castlemaine is with the seconds. The playing numbers and results are at the opposite end of the scale from the past decade because guys are interested in training and working with a guy like that.

Lfg has repeatedly said money isn’t an issue, if they get a coach of that calibre the players will come.

He will bring a few with him and players from the district will be excited and want to be part of it. The biggest impact Hartley has had on Castlemaine is with the seconds. The playing numbers and results are at the opposite end of the scale from the past decade because guys are interested in training and working with a guy like that.
Fair points.
The other word I forgot was ‘Bandaid’
It has to be a sustainable 3-5 yr program as well to prove to all at MFNC that going solo is the way to go.

Fair points.
The other word I forgot was ‘Bandaid’
It has to be a sustainable 3-5 yr program as well to prove to all at MFNC that going solo is the way to go.

I don’t think sustainable is possible for Maryborough or Castlemaine in the Bendigo league. To me it’s about building your position to give you more control.

It’s a lot easier to move leagues as Kyneton last year than Maryborough this year for example. Castlemaine is a good example, there’s no doubt there is strong interest from the Riddell league in us now, Kyneton would love to see it happen. It’s not on the cards at the moment but in a year or two I’d hope it is really looked at. That wouldn’t have been in the picture last year.

I don’t think sustainable is possible for Maryborough or Castlemaine in the Bendigo league. To me it’s about building your position to give you more control.

It’s a lot easier to move leagues as Kyneton last year than Maryborough this year for example. Castlemaine is a good example, there’s no doubt there is strong interest from the Riddell league in us now, Kyneton would love to see it happen. It’s not on the cards at the moment but in a year or two I’d hope it is really looked at. That wouldn’t have been in the picture last year.

What would be the main advantages in Castlemaine following kyneton to riddell Forest ?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

What's that do to the minor league clubs, takes players away. There's not enough players in maryborough castlemaine to have two major league teams and 13 club minor league clubs

What's that do to the minor league clubs, takes players away. There's not enough players in maryborough castlemaine to have two major league teams and 13 club minor league clubs

Correct Trent. One of the key issues is too many clubs and not enough people both on and off field to ensure clubs successfully and sustainably operate. Many clubs in the MCDFNL are struggling and recruiting players from far and wide at often overinflated prices just to get a team on the park. Also clubs are predatory in they are feeding off each other to recruit players just to survive.

Unfortunately like all clubs, we want to continue to stand alone and remain as we are. Unfortunately a combination of stubbornness, a fierce need to remain independent, not work together for the betterment of sport and our communities and not accept change are factors in why we have reached the current situation.

Over many years there has been a propensity to sweep these issues under the carpet in the hope they would magically disappear. The last review conducted by AFL Goldfields is testament to this where it was quickly rejected by the local football community and none of the recommendations were implemented.

Correct Trent. One of the key issues is too many clubs and not enough people both on and off field to ensure clubs successfully and sustainably operate. Many clubs in the MCDFNL are struggling and recruiting players from far and wide at often overinflated prices just to get a team on the park. Also clubs are predatory in they are feeding off each other to recruit players just to survive.

Unfortunately like all clubs, we want to continue to stand alone and remain as we are. Unfortunately a combination of stubbornness, a fierce need to remain independent, not work together for the betterment of sport and our communities and not accept change are factors in why we have reached the current situation.

Over many years there has been a propensity to sweep these issues under the carpet in the hope they would magically disappear. The last review conducted by AFL Goldfields is testament to this where it was quickly rejected by the local football community and none of the recommendations were implemented.

Exactly

What would be the main advantages in Castlemaine following kyneton to riddell Forest ?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Let’s take as read the stuff Kyneton pointed out, like lower fees and a better run league, but it is significant.

We’d get back the game with Kyneton which is worth 3/4 games against Bendigo teams financially.

Opposition would be a lot more similar in terms of demographics and plenty of small town teams with passionate supporters who travel. We would do bumper gates most weeks, the Bendigo clubs barely bring a taxi down.

Some disagree but for me having juniors at same venue and day is a huge plus and it would be far easier to recruit Melbourne players if Castlemaine was the longest trip.

The only drawbacks I see is the weather and the travel but the latter isn’t much of a concern when over the years we’ve headed to Kamarooka, Ballarat, Echuca etc. Travel is better than it has ever been.

No doubt you will be better versed than me Crazy but I can’t see many drawbacks.

It’s a dog eat dog world unfortunately. How much care are they showing Maryborough at the moment by voting no?

Another reason I’d advocate the plan I suggested for Maryborough is to get some currency in those merger talks. Right now they are untouchable, string a good couple of years together and it changes fast.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Trent it could also be seen the other way. The surrounding leagues are the ones that have been taking players from Maryborough over recent years. Offering them way more money, where they will be among the better players in their team, and albeit in a lower standard comp, will drive to more games knowing they more chance of winning on a weekly basis. There would be plenty of 1 point Maryborough players playing in the MCDFNL. I do agree there are to many teams and not enough players, but it does take 2 to tango when it comes to mergers. If there isn’t anyone interesting in merging with Maryborough, it won’t happen. And I’d be happy to be wrong but think a forced merger would have the opposite effect in terms of player numbers at the new club.

Some disagree but for me having juniors at same venue and day is a huge plus

Yes that is a nice thing about MCDFL, but Riddell don't do that. They play U/19s on the same day but not the younger ones. I think they play all other junior footy on Sunday. They have a little hub at Melton (I think) for some of the really young ones on a weeknight that only involves teams from around there.

For some parents having juniors in the BJFL means less travel. But when when the oldest graduates to U14s which is played on Sunday it becomes a bit of a pain driving to Bendigo Saturday morning for U9/10/12, and then again on Sunday for the older child.
For some others the missing element of junior netball means the whole family is lost to Castlemaine and choose to play for Harcourt, Newstead, Maldon, Creek.

If hypothetically speaking we were talking Maiden Gully I can’t see why anyone with the possible exception of Sandhurst, Strath and maybe Square would want to vote them in.
This particular club is not Bendigo based and would require further travel. Unlikely that clubs would vote them in given the clubs recent history.

Remove this Banner Ad

Bendigo FL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back