Bendigo FL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

That proposal better include a guarantee of at least 60 registered players
For sure but they didn't go into recession due to lack of interest for players did they? They just didn't want to travel 3/4 hours?
I think a better question would be why.

Apart from trying to patch up the mismanagement of the league I can’t think of an answer.
Strong junior base? And the population that side of Melbourne's exploding.

Last I heard they wanted GV so surprised they've pivoted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For sure but they didn't go into recession due to lack of interest for players did they? They just didn't want to travel 3/4 hours?

Lack of players was definitely a factor.

I’m not sure how they believe they can come out of recess and head to a league such as Bendigo or GV but I will watch with interest.

Their previous attempt to find a new league was to the Kyabram District League which is a few rungs below Bendigo

I’m not sure how they believe they can come out of recess and head to a league such as Bendigo or GV but I will watch with interest.

Their previous attempt to find a new league was to the Kyabram District League which is a few rungs below Bendigo
Broadford were largely uncompetitive near the end in the riddell league, where they were located close to other towns. Yes the towns growing, but it's a big step up to go from not playing to bendigo footy, where there's plenty of travel. Who's the closest club? Gisborne? Who could leave yet. I'd hope they league is banging the door down at Sunbury, gisborne giants, diggers rest and bacchus marsh and darley to try get them to join. Seems really left field to look at Broadford. I'd chase Wallan before Broadford.

Their population is similar to some of the GV clubs which is why I thought they'd go there.

Do they still stack their U18s from the college? That's how they dominated Heathcote.

Broadford were largely uncompetitive near the end in the riddell league, where they were located close to other towns. Yes the towns growing, but it's a big step up to go from not playing to bendigo footy, where there's plenty of travel. Who's the closest club? Gisborne? Who could leave yet. I'd hope they league is banging the door down at Sunbury, gisborne giants, diggers rest and bacchus marsh and darley to try get them to join. Seems really left field to look at Broadford. I'd chase Wallan before Broadford.
Well if they can't compete in Riddell they won't compete in Bendigo. Surely they know that.

They have been trying hard to get into the Northern league in recent weeks and the Kyabram District league last year. They wanted out of Outer East and pinned their hopes on Kyabram, thinking that if they quit the OEFNL they would have to be taken by Kyabram but that got shot down.

Bendigo and GV would be extreme longshots at best - they would be pummelled Wahgunyah or Marybrough style week in and week out if they somehow ended up in either league.

Between Broadford and Yea, the two towns have not managed to field four senior teams since Covid, and were forced to combine and play as Broadford-Yea for a season due to a dearth of playing stocks. IIRC, I think a few have gone to play at Yea this year.

At present, the only ways I can see them coming back is if Yea ends up in recess again or if they can recruit heavily without spending over the cap or have a significant proportion of locals able to play seniors so they can fit under the points cap.

Riddell is their best option but they steadfastly refuse to consider it despite the fact that the league is worlds apart from the one they left. The affiliation costs are much less, administration is not governed by a hub and the RDFNL's future prospects are much better.

Last edited:
They have been trying hard to get into the Northern league in recent weeks and the Kyabram District league last year. They wanted out of Outer East and pinned their hopes on Kyabram, thinking that if they quit the OEFNL they would have to be taken by Kyabram but that got shot down.

Bendigo and GV would be extreme longshots at best - they would be pummelled Wahgunyah or Marybrough style week in and week out if they somehow ended up in either league.

Between Broadford and Yea, the two towns have not managed to field four senior teams since Covid, and were forced to combine and play as Broadford-Yea for a season due to a dearth of playing stocks. IIRC, I think a few have gone to play at yea this year.

At present, the only ways I can see them coming back is if Yea ends up in recess again or it they can recruit heavily without spending over the cap or have a significant proportion of locals able to play seniors so they can fit under the points cap.

Riddell is their best option but they steadfastly refuse to consider it despite the fact that the league is worlds apart from the one they left. The affiliation costs are much less, administration is not governed by a hub and the RDFNL's future prospects are much better.

They signed the clubs death warrant when they left the Heathcote league all those years ago

KDFNL is not a great league at all. Big jump from wanting to go there and then possibly trying to come to BFNL. I know BFNL not as good as it has been but still a fair way clear of KDFNL. Honestly I’m not fussed who comes into the league I just want 10 teams back or for the league to improve again and not be the 2-4 horse predictable race it has been for last 10 years. (Maybe longer I don’t know I’m only mid 20s)

Broadford will not be the panacea for the BFNL - they will be amongst the thick of it with the also-rans.

GV clubs like Seymour and Euroa are more attractive options than a Broadford in the BFNL for people from that region wanting to play at a higher level.

Unless AFLV decides to come out and say that everyone in the area bordered by Blackwood, Malmsbury, Alexandra and Buxton must play in a newly-formed league consisting of Alexandra, Broadford, Kilmore, Kyneton, Lancefield, Macedon, Riddell, Romsey, Wallan, Woodend-Hesket and Yea, then nothing will change.

Then again, why should the Riddell league suffer such a fate when they have put themselves on a solid footing again and are moving forwards.

This problem ain't going to go away any time soon unless Broadford looks towards the Riddell league for its future.

As it stands, there seems to be a greater likelihood of clubs jumping to the RDFL or Ballarat than clubs moving the other way.
The RDFL had its period of instability & appears to be emerging out the other side, hopefully Bendigo can do the same.

As it stands, there seems to be a greater likelihood of clubs jumping to the RDFL or Ballarat than clubs moving the other way.
The RDFL had its period of instability & appears to be emerging out the other side, hopefully Bendigo can do the same.

I can’t see Bendigo moving forward at all under the current regime.

If we take this news on face value, then where is the vision for the region?

How does Broadford fit in any sort of strategic plan for the region? It doesn’t create any real opportunities or interest for the existing clubs, it just delivers them a pain in the arse to haul over there for a game once a season.

To even entertain it would just smack of desperation to me. We’ve decimated the competition so we will take any clubs we can get to top it up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Bendigo FL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back