Bendigo FL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Salary cap just needs to go.

AFL Vic can’t enforce it anyway and I’m not sure they would want to if they could. As I understand it, the only clubs ever sanctioned have been as a result of self reporting.

If they were fair dinkum about it I suspect there wouldn’t be many flags without asterisks and they simply don’t want the bad pr.

Don’t say it’s a piss poor call when it’s the truth then. I’m sure there would be many more “proud” clubs around if they could or would cheat the cap by 200k

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Here we go. We have the clubs treasurers on here do we? Assumptions and fact. Let’s not blur the 2 across all clubs.

Don’t say it’s a piss poor call when it’s the truth then. I’m sure there would be many more “proud” clubs around if they could or would cheat the cap by 200k

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
20 flags would suggest they have good networks to get players and even though they pay well, I'm not sure they outbid clubs either for players

Salary cap just needs to go.

AFL Vic can’t enforce it anyway and I’m not sure they would want to if they could. As I understand it, the only clubs ever sanctioned have been as a result of self reporting.

If they were fair dinkum about it I suspect there wouldn’t be many flags without asterisks and they simply don’t want the bad pr.
So we have metro clubs just blow country clubs away, before it was introduced metro clubs had the ability to pay double

So we have metro clubs just blow country clubs away, before it was introduced metro clubs had the ability to pay double

It’s just status quo though, every club is currently spending whatever amount they like at the moment.

AFL Vic has no investigative powers. They can’t access players financial records or compel them to participate in an interview. I think we’d all have heard what Fergus Greene’s deal is but there’s no way they are ever going to be able to prove it. And we’ve all heard the figures in the North Central or the blocks of land at Yarra and so on. You don’t need Sherlock Holmes to track this stuff but they still can’t do anything which shows the impotence.

It’s an absolute paper tiger. I keep saying it but the points is the only tool that will work. Use points in the right way and the spending will come down with it.

It’s just status quo though, every club is currently spending whatever amount they like at the moment.

AFL Vic has no investigative powers. They can’t access players financial records or compel them to participate in an interview. I think we’d all have heard what Fergus Greene’s deal is but there’s no way they are ever going to be able to prove it. And we’ve all heard the figures in the North Central or the blocks of land at Yarra and so on. You don’t need Sherlock Holmes to track this stuff but they still can’t do anything which shows the impotence.

It’s an absolute paper tiger. I keep saying it but the points is the only tool that will work. Use points in the right way and the spending will come down with it.
I haven't heard what Fergus is on. But ex afl players generally just out of the game command a 10k sign on plus minimum 2.5k a game. I'd doubt Fergus was close to that

Forest why would you post this?

You said you stopped posting because the league was making it hard on your club to find you.

How does this help the situation?

The season is over now, doubt the hub will bother to hassle the club and if they do I’ve been assured they will be told to get lost.

By the way I’m not having a go at Sandhurst or any club when I say the salary cap is a joke. I’m sure Castlemaine would be over as well. I see it as a Lance Armstrong situation. If everyone is over and everyone knows it, but the administration don’t care then you have to join in or be doomed.

Anyone doing the simple maths can see it.

Let’s say the fantasy is correct and Greene and Tardrew only take 25k each, making them the two most selfless players in the history of the game.

That leaves 75k for 20 players over 16 games. That’s $234 dollars each per game on average. (And don’t forget last year there were two extra games so it was even less).

Anyone who has done any recruiting lately will tell you that 200 a week is lucky to get you a kid out of the under 18s.

The season is over now, doubt the hub will bother to hassle the club and if they do I’ve been assured they will be told to get lost.

By the way I’m not having a go at Sandhurst or any club when I say the salary cap is a joke. I’m sure Castlemaine would be over as well. I see it as a Lance Armstrong situation. If everyone is over and everyone knows it, but the administration don’t care then you have to join in or be doomed.

Anyone doing the simple maths can see it.

Let’s say the fantasy is correct and Greene and Tardrew only take 25k each, making them the two most selfless players in the history of the game.

That leaves 75k for 20 players over 16 games. That’s $234 dollars each per game on average. (And don’t forget last year there were two extra games so it was even less).

Anyone who has done any recruiting lately will tell you that 200 a week is lucky to get you a kid out of the under 18s.
It must boggle the mind that two stars could go back to their junior club and it not be all about money?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bendigo Advertiser

Broadford takes its first formal step in calling the BFNL its new home

By Luke West
Updated September 30 2024 - 3:54pm, first published 3:34pm

BROADFORD has taken its first formal step in becoming the Bendigo Football Netball League's newest club next season.
Broadford has lodged its application to join the BFNL as it seeks to make a return to the field after its senior football teams were in recess this season.
BFNL chair Carol McKinstry confirmed on Monday Broadford had lodged its application, which is now in the hands of AFL Victoria as it involves a club seeking to leave a league in one region and join a league in another.
The BFNL's intention is to accept Broadford for 2025, with AFL Victoria to now consider the application and give an opportunity for any impacted leagues to appeal that intent.
The structure of the BFNL in 2025 has been a hot topic throughout this year with both the interest Broadford has shown in joining the competition coupled with the uncertainty surrounding Maryborough.
There is no still no official announcement from Maryborough on its 2025 intentions, with the club's future having been on the agenda since late-May.
The BFNL was this year reduced from 10 clubs to nine following the departure of Kyneton to the Riddell District league.
The BFNL's preferred number for its competition is to have 10 clubs.
Broadford confirmed in August it had identified the BFNL as its preferred competition to play in.
The club's football department was in recess this year, but it did maintain a netball presence, competing in the Northern league's Friday night competition.
Broadford's football teams last competed in division two of the Outer East League in 2023 with its seniors winning two games and reserves four games.
The club last year unsuccessfully tried to join the Kyabram District league from the Outer East, where it had played since 2020.
Officials from Broadford attended the BFNL grand final at the QEO on September 21, while one of its committee members, Steve Sharp, represented it on Michelsen Medal night at the Bendigo Club.
Should the Broadford move to the BFNL in 2025 be given the green light by AFL Victoria it will be a return to the central Victorian football-netball landscape for the Roos.
Broadford is a club that previously played in the Heathcote District league between 1985 and 2008 before moving to the Riddell District league in 2009.
The Roos played in the RDFNL from 2009 to 2019 before another change of leagues to the Outer East in 2020.
The club's last senior premiership was in 1996.
While Broadford's football department was in recess this year, the club continued to have under-9, 10, 12, 14 and 16 junior teams competing.
In confirming its interest of joining the BFNL in August, Broadford - which is led off-field by president Bonnie Cavanagh - spoke of the "incredible potential" for its club moving forward.
"After deeply considering our options, there truly is incredible potential for our club to reimagine what the future looks like if we can rise from this challenging situation with the football department and maintain a positive outlook," the club said.
"We want a long-term sustainable option that safeguards an exciting pathway for our growing juniors, enables exposure to elite networks for players and coaches, grows our supporter base including sponsors, members, volunteers and past personnel, and importantly attracts players that strive to build an exciting brand of community football and netball in a supportive and safe environment."
Geographically Broadford is located 105kms from Bendigo, 109kms from Castlemaine, 68kms from Gisborne and 150kms from Maryborough.

Name names

No one in Bendigo footy is having houses bought for them
Would love to know where that allegation is coming from.... I have heard some beauties over many years including house extensions and renovations (which were true) but getting a new house in the BFNL is one out of the box.

We here at Maryborough FNC would love to just be able to secure a player that wanted to be paid a reasonable/ appropriate remuneration for their level of experience/ ability but unfortunately we have been priced out of the market many times.

As for the mantra that players return to the home club just to put something back to the club, these situations are few and far between. I was informed the individuals at Sandhurst mentioned on here were being paid well but well under their market value. I believe this to be correct and have been assured they will both be at the club in 2025.

Will be interesting to see what happens on that front.

Bendigo Advertiser

By Luke West

BROADFORD has taken its first formal step in becoming the Bendigo Football Netball League's newest club next season.
Broadford has lodged its application to join the BFNL as it seeks to make a return to the field after its senior football teams were in recess this season.
BFNL chair Carol McKinstry confirmed on Monday Broadford had lodged its application, which is now in the hands of AFL Victoria as it involves a club seeking to leave a league in one region and join a league in another.
The BFNL's intention is to accept Broadford for 2025, with AFL Victoria to now consider the application and give an opportunity for any impacted leagues to appeal that intent.
The structure of the BFNL in 2025 has been a hot topic throughout this year with both the interest Broadford has shown in joining the competition coupled with the uncertainty surrounding Maryborough.
There is no still no official announcement from Maryborough on its 2025 intentions, with the club's future having been on the agenda since late-May.
The BFNL was this year reduced from 10 clubs to nine following the departure of Kyneton to the Riddell District league.
Broadford confirmed in August it had identified the BFNL as its preferred competition to play in.
The club's football department was in recess this year, but it did maintain a netball presence, competing in the Northern league's Friday night competition.
Broadford's football teams last competed in division two of the Outer East League in 2023 with its seniors winning two games and reserves four games.
The club last year unsuccessfully tried to join the Kyabram District league from the Outer East, where it had played since 2020.
Officials from Broadford attended the BFNL grand final at the QEO on September 21, while one of its committee members, Steve Sharp, represented it on Michelsen Medal night at the Bendigo Club.
Should the Broadford move to the BFNL in 2025 be given the green light by AFL Victoria it will be a return to the central Victorian football-netball landscape for the Roos.
Broadford is a club that previously played in the Heathcote District league between 1985 and 2008 before moving to the Riddell District league in 2009.
The Roos played in the RDFNL from 2009 to 2019 before another change of leagues to the Outer East in 2020.
While Broadford's football department was in recess this year, the club continued to have under-9, 10, 12, 14 and 16 junior teams competing.
In confirming its interest of joining the BFNL in August, Broadford - which is led off-field by president Bonnie Cavanagh - spoke of the "incredible potential" for its club moving forward.
"After deeply considering our options, there truly is incredible potential for our club to reimagine what the future looks like if we can rise from this challenging situation with the football department and maintain a positive outlook," the club said.
"We want a long-term sustainable option that safeguards an exciting pathway for our growing juniors, enables exposure to elite networks for players and coaches, grows our supporter base including sponsors, members, volunteers and past personnel, and importantly attracts players that strive to build an exciting brand of community football and netball in a supportive and safe environment."
Geographically Broadford is located 105kms from Bendigo, 109kms from Castlemaine, 68kms from Gisborne and 150kms from Maryborough.
The Steve Sharp supporters group again appears in the Bendigo Advertiser..

Why you would want him involved in any club is beyond me. Can anyone shed some light on how he became involved with this 'pie in the sky' proposal?

With all the challenges in the BFNL including our club why would anyone think this is a good decision. If the league wanted to expand a team in Bendigo was the best option to try and dilute the strength of some of the power clubs. We may as well put Marong or Maiden Gully in the competition.

The whole thing is a sham!

As for my club, we will be making a decision soon on our future directions. Have enjoyed reading all the rumors and gossip about us some of which is off the mark.

Bendigo Advertiser

By Luke West

If you want long term sustainable option then joining the bendigo league seems completely wrong.

If you want long term sustainable option then joining the bendigo league seems completely wrong.
I heard the same line from Broadford FNC representatives when they moved into the Outer East FNL.

As per my previous post this is a sham and will end in a 'told you so' moment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Bendigo FL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back