Bendigo FL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Why does the discussion around Pioneers nominations not involve any names?
Lots of accusations about the selection process but little use of detail. Plenty of suggestions that this kid here or that kid there were crucified but no names mentioned.

And while I'm at, is everybody in here really so naive as to believe that the best kid at each club in the region should make the squad? The squad exists to identify and develop potential AFL talent, not reward a kid for being the best player at his local club. If you're an early developed man child with no scope for significant improvement, who bullies smaller kids with his size and is an ordinary kick, should you really make the squad? The 205cm kid that can run but currently isn't much good is always going to get a look because he already has an AFL attribute and talent development will hopefully assist with gaining others.

Happy to acknowledge the Pios history on field is hardly stellar but the competition is unique within the football world. It doesn't exist to reward kids like an interleague squad, or indeed to win games specifically, it exists purely to produce talent for AFL clubs to consider.
I agree with this summation pretty much to the letter. I would only add that there are some players ( won’t name them as I don’t reckon that is fair given their age) from Goulburn Valley League Clubs- Kyabram/ Echuca/ Rochester- that are not on the list that are far more accomplished as players than Bendigo based club selections due to the fact, mainly, they play in a far superior competition. ( in addition to their talent). The obsession with potting the number of Sandhurst players getting a crack is interesting as history shows not a lot of them go on to play Senior footy at that club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree with this summation pretty much to the letter. I would only add that there are some players ( won’t name them as I don’t reckon that is fair given their age) from Goulburn Valley League Clubs- Kyabram/ Echuca/ Rochester- that are not on the list that are far more accomplished as players than Bendigo based club selections due to the fact, mainly, they play in a far superior competition. ( in addition to their talent). The obsession with potting the number of Sandhurst players getting a crack is interesting as history shows not a lot of them go on to play Senior footy at that club.
12 of their premiership side have been been part of Pioneer pre seasons at one time or another. Not enough for you?

Doesn't include those that played seniors and are now in the AFL, SANFL or about to be drafted but you keep coming up with these gems.

Oooooohhhhhhhh!

Have I hurt you feelings Arnie?
Anticipation Popcorn GIF

12 of their premiership side have been been part of Pioneer pre seasons at one time or another. Not enough for you?

Doesn't include those that played seniors and are now in the AFL, SANFL or about to be drafted but you keep coming up with these gems.
What are your thoughts on the Pioneers set up Arnold? You are clearly across the data but would like to know is it good/ bad/indifferent?

Remove this Banner Ad

Bendigo FL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back