Bendigo FL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Surely upgrade the daylights out of it and move senior club there. Bigger ground more room, with upgrades would have better facilities. Wade St is crap.

Both sites are so limited with size given what is around them. No room to expand much at either but Bachuas probably has more.

If I was the cricket club I’d be looking to go there for sure

Not for the reason you stated though….not so the talented kids who were up to the level were funnelled to the big 3. That is crap
I reckon the lot of you should apply to work in AFL Vic or BFL board - alot of ideas and f*ck all work going on with whatever you do for a living!
Why would the BFL go after Broadford surely there would better options ;

• MGYCW - growth area and local
  • Maryborough- help a club that had been a huge part of league for so long
  • Calder Lions - instant flag favourites, crowds the league could only dream of

All 3 better than Broadford option
Super league across Central Victoria is the way to go - BFL, LVFL, HDFL, NCFL (there are about 5-6 clubs across these leagues that won’t exist in 3-5 years time), and maybe look to poach a club or two from GVFL. People will have to bite the bullet and drive. Put in place a 2 or 3 tier league with promotion/demotion

I reckon the lot of you should apply to work in AFL Vic or BFL board - alot of ideas and f*ck all work going on with whatever you do for a living!

Super league across Central Victoria is the way to go - BFL, LVFL, HDFL, NCFL (there are about 5-6 clubs across these leagues that won’t exist in 3-5 years time), and maybe look to poach a club or two from GVFL. People will have to bite the bullet and drive. Put in place a 2 or 3 tier league with promotion/demotion

Nice!

Promotion and relegation will not work in country footy in my opinion but something needs to be tried I guess

Eventually, football in the region will consist of one regional league - Division 1 will be the equivalent of the BFNL and below that will be Division 2 North and Division 2 South and regional Division 3's if required. It will probably come to fruition when enough clubs fold or merge up (most likely from the NVFL and NCFL) to necessitate change. There looks to be too much self-interest among stakeholders to bring about change at present (in the same way that it came about in Gippsland with their restructure about six years ago).

HDFL seem quite happy to keep to themselves, especially after being given the run-around by the commission two years ago when clubs tried to join the league and the league was supportive of them coming in.

Netball will always throw a spanner in multi-divisional setups. I can only see change on that score if women's football grows to the point that netball player numbers are affected, which is unlikely when you see how many netball teams clubs field each week.

The GV point was raised earlier in the year. GVFL and Ballarat league clubs aren't interested in a cross-league set-up, they are happy with their lot as it is.

Last edited:
Why would the BFL go after Broadford surely there would better options ;

• MGYCW - growth area and local
  • Maryborough- help a club that had been a huge part of league for so long
  • Calder Lions - instant flag favourites, crowds the league could only dream of

All 3 better than Broadford option

The stupidity in this thread is astounding. I have watched and stayed silent for far too long.

- Do you honestly believe that Kangaroo Flat and Eaglehawk are going to allow Maiden Gully to enter the BFNL? Have you thought what that might mean for those clubs?

And even if they did, being in a growth corridor doesn’t mean the club is run correctly. They are a basket case and far from consideration.

- how much more help can be provided to Maryborough? Maryborough themselves are full of nothing but praise for AFL central vics support. There is no magic wand to be waved there I’m sorry.

- we can all agree the standard of the BFNL is at a historic low but to think Calder Lions would be a walk up finals team in the league is plain stupidity and shows a fundamental lack of footy all knowledge, let own the geographic challenges the league would face, bye bye Gisborne.

The stupidity in this thread is astounding. I have watched and stayed silent for far too long.

- Do you honestly believe that Kangaroo Flat and Eaglehawk are going to allow Maiden Gully to enter the BFNL? Have you thought what that might mean for those clubs?

And even if they did, being in a growth corridor doesn’t mean the club is run correctly. They are a basket case and far from consideration.

- how much more help can be provided to Maryborough? Maryborough themselves are full of nothing but praise for AFL central vics support. There is no magic wand to be waved there I’m sorry.

- we can all agree the standard of the BFNL is at a historic low but to think Calder Lions would be a walk up finals team in the league is plain stupidity and shows a fundamental lack of footy all knowledge, let own the geographic challenges the league would face, bye bye Gisborne.
All valid points but I would like to know your thoughts on Broadford as well

Saw this headline in the Addy

COGB buys Backhaus Oval to ease 'overuse' of nearby sport ground (Wade st)​

Strategic planning for the future relocation of said club above ^^^

Pretty sure self interest of clubs isn't a reason to knock a club back. Can't happen in any other form of life. It's like iga castlemaine complaining there's a safeway been built now.

So what happens to maryborough, 10k people and no footy club? Marvellous idea just means a lohmann moves earlier to lake wendouree.

The Calder lions side would be an 8 goal better side than locky when they entered the bfl and they played finals.

Travel and playing footy will need to happen. This thought that the most you travel to play is an hour doesn't exist. I'd think gisborne would rather play echuca Moama or the Calder lions than broadford

Pretty sure self interest of clubs isn't a reason to knock a club back. Can't happen in any other form of life. It's like iga castlemaine complaining there's a safeway been built now.

So what happens to maryborough, 10k people and no footy club? Marvellous idea just means a lohmann moves earlier to lake wendouree.

The Calder lions side would be an 8 goal better side than locky when they entered the bfl and they played finals.

Travel and playing footy will need to happen. This thought that the most you travel to play is an hour doesn't exist. I'd think gisborne would rather play echuca Moama or the Calder lions than broadford
Exactly.

Roota: explain why demotion/promotion wouldn’t work?

Exactly.

Because we are dealing with football/netball clubs that play at the same venue on the same day.
You can't split netball and have them playing separately from football as they are part of the fabric of a sporting club.

Exactly.

And unlike metro clubs you can't have a colbo go play against bfl clubs or a locky it ruins what makes them great, as they are community clubs, with numerous generstions playing at the same club, unlike a city club like golden square

- MGYCW already exist so the scaremongering raised is not as big an issue as you make out. Observations re club management could be made about Broadford and their league hopping. Haven't they been knocked back by other leagues?

- take your point re Maryborough can you confirm if they've been offered the same points and salary cap carrots as Broadford ?

- Granted the instant flag favourites was a bit of burly and you obliged, however the Calder Lions haven't played a game so you must have intimate knowledge of their list to make that assessment? Kynetons recent change of leagues didn't exactly fly the flag for BFL quality and the NCFL would match the RDFL .

Geography dictates it wouldn't happen so with you their. But could make the same observation for Broadford again.

So my point is Broadford appear to have the trifecta for some of the issues you raised across the 3 clubs above .

• management and historical performance
  • need significant assistance to be competitive
  • geographical distance challenges

Those clubs were raised in my original post for that exact reason. If you couldn't see the forrest for the trees that's on you.

But you may wish to reconsider your slanderous opening sentence.

Last edited:
- MGYCW already exist so the scaremongering raised is not as big an issue as you make out. Observations re club management could be made about Broadford and their league hopping. Haven't they been knocked back by other leagues?

- take your point re Maryborough can you confirm if they've been offered the same points and salary cap carrots as Broadford ?

- Granted the instant flag favourites was a bit of burly and you obliged, however the Calder Lions haven't played a game so you must have intimate knowledge of their list to make that assessment? Kynetons recent change of leagues didn't exactly fly the flag for BFL quality and the NCFL would match the RDFL .

Geography dictates it wouldn't happen so with you their. But could make the same observation for Broadford again.

So my point is Broadford appear to have the trifecta for some of the issues you raised across the 3 clubs above .

• management and historical performance
  • need significant assistance to be competitive
  • geographical distance challenges

Those clubs were raised in my original post for that exact reason. If you couldn't see the forrest for the trees that's on you.

But you may wish to reconsider your slanderous opening sentence.
Broadford is not the short or long term answer - their inability to make meaningful progress for the best part of 6 months now is case in point they are not suitable for the BFNL. They are unable to offer something attractive enough to find the appropriate coach now and I believe that sentiment will remain when it comes to recruiting players too.

It reeks of a league clutching at straws which has been well acknowledged in here ad nauseam.

MGYCW is not the short term answer either. It’s not scaremongering, it’s fact the Bendigo based talent pool is stretched thin as it is (which two club having a clear advantage over the others due to their junior programs.) If you want the exisiting competition to thrive and equalise bringing in another team on the doorstep of 3 other teams is not the way to do it.

MGYCW is a laughing stock in one of the states worst leagues even with its fantastic geographic and facility advantages it has to its competition.

Maryborough I believe (could be wrong) has had many options presented to them in the form of support but the fact their coach walked out of the club prior to the end of season due to not being paid would suggest that raising money is a big issue for them. With small gate takings and fatigue from local sponsors this comes as no surprise.

Calder will no doubt be a talented side but there is an uneducated disrespect to the top 5 or 6 teams in the BFNL in here is laughable. Kyneton’s team this year cannot be compared to a top 5 side in the BFNL either. Don’t even get me started on their blaming of everyone else but themselves for their problems.

I don’t think comparing supermarket monopolies and competition to community sport is a valid argument in this case.

People apply “self interest” in here when it suits their club or agenda, your post itself is a contradiction in itself.

No one wants to see Maryborough fail, they are pivotal to the BFNL as we are now finding out with ludicrous suggestions of teams like Broadford replacing them.

Many reasons for their issues but the main one is that there are too many options close by their talent pool to play in, it is hard for them to retain players and the allure of “major league” is gone.

Travel is part of playing football yes but there is a general rule in community sport that if you’re making volunteers travel more than 2 hours from their home town then you’re going to have trouble attracting volunteers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Broadford is not the short or long term answer - their inability to make meaningful progress for the best part of 6 months now is case in point they are not suitable for the BFNL. They are unable to offer something attractive enough to find the appropriate coach now and I believe that sentiment will remain when it comes to recruiting players too.

It reeks of a league clutching at straws which has been well acknowledged in here ad nauseam.

MGYCW is not the short term answer either. It’s not scaremongering, it’s fact the Bendigo based talent pool is stretched thin as it is (which two club having a clear advantage over the others due to their junior programs.) If you want the exisiting competition to thrive and equalise bringing in another team on the doorstep of 3 other teams is not the way to do it.

MGYCW is a laughing stock in one of the states worst leagues even with its fantastic geographic and facility advantages it has to its competition.

Maryborough I believe (could be wrong) has had many options presented to them in the form of support but the fact their coach walked out of the club prior to the end of season due to not being paid would suggest that raising money is a big issue for them. With small gate takings and fatigue from local sponsors this comes as no surprise.

Calder will no doubt be a talented side but there is an uneducated disrespect to the top 5 or 6 teams in the BFNL in here is laughable. Kyneton’s team this year cannot be compared to a top 5 side in the BFNL either. Don’t even get me started on their blaming of everyone else but themselves for their problems.

Who did kyneton blame for their problems ? From what I read they wanted to protect their club and not become witches hats for the power clubs.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Who did kyneton blame for their problems ? From what I read they wanted to protect their club and not become witches hats for the power clubs.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
They blamed the BFNL and power clubs as you call them. No mention in my readings in articles and posts of a decade of poor administration, sub par recruiting and an inability to maintain a consistent list for more than 2 years.

I agree that the power clubs are presented advantages compared to the outer lying clubs but it’s not a reason to throw the toys out of the cot. I think their performance this year is evidence that looking internally before throwing stones externally is a good spot to start.

They blamed the BFNL and power clubs as you call them. No mention in my readings in articles and posts of a decade of poor administration, sub par recruiting and an inability to maintain a consistent list for more than 2 years.

I agree that the power clubs are presented advantages compared to the outer lying clubs but it’s not a reason to throw the toys out of the cot. I think their performance this year is evidence that looking internally before throwing stones externally is a good spot to start.
I think kyentons problem for recruiting was their location. You get guys from Melbourne, they don't want to travel to bendigo long term.

The riddell league isn't a bad league and kyneton lost their best player too.

What are your thoughts on the Pioneers set up Arnold? You are clearly across the data but would like to know is it good/ bad/indifferent?
I don't think it's working well at all. The top kids will always get drafted but the rest miss out. Don't think the system develops those on the cusp of being draftable to make the leap. Those guys are better off playing senior footy.
Pios are judged on how many get drafted so if 2 or 3 get picked it's a success no matter how many go undeveloped which I think is fundamentally wrong. A hell of a lot are drafted from the private school system anyway. Coates league needs an overhaul.

Remove this Banner Ad

Bendigo FL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back