Bendigo FL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Looks so far Eaglehawk out and maine in, with south to add some pressure. Square will get any good Mildura kid coming down for uni. And they improved as the year went on, can't see them missing, even without toma
Every year Eaglehawk lose a couple of top plays and get written off and every year they are in the mix with September. In recent years they also have bad luck with injuries. Strath should have beaten Sandhurst in the prelim and Square should have beaten Strath the week before in what was a pretty good finals series really. I am calling it early, (very very early), but it will still be a real challenge for Castlemaine & South to make the finals and I don't think both of them will get there.

Big call albury, is perez coming back to sandhurst too?
No idea Trent. Have you heard anything?

Not sure if I expressed myself clearly. I am not saying South and/or Castlemaine cannot make the finals. I am saying it will be a real challenge for them as the present top five consistently put good teams on the park. I also believe both won't get there. South in particular are coming from a long way back.

This is a good situation and makes for a far more interesting season.

No idea Trent. Have you heard anything?

Not sure if I expressed myself clearly. I am not saying South and/or Castlemaine cannot make the finals. I am saying it will be a real challenge for them as the present top five consistently put good teams on the park. I also believe both won't get there. South in particular are coming from a long way back.

This is a good situation and makes for a far more interesting season.
Understand south are coming from a long way back but what they have added is pretty good Cal Crisp, Mac Cameron will be the best ruck combo in the league. Jack Fallon, Alex Davis, Will Keck, Brayden Torpey, James Davies, Tom Brereton, Joel Swatton, Josh Nitschke, Hayden Geddes, Kaiden Antonowitz most of them would get a game in any other Bendigo team

And I know many of you will be celebrating because of personal grievances but its bloody sad that another club has gone. No matter who they are.
The afl have done this. They should have sat down with broadford and facilitated a move into a league that's best for them to continue playing footy. That's never bendigo though. It had to be either the Northern league div 3 or riddell with assurances from the club regarding behaviour to be met. You can't have towns like broadford without a footy side or maryborough. More needs to be done

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Exactly my point.
The point of all of this has nothing to do with personal grievances. What is to do with the fantasy associated with an idea about the ego of one or two people all while we see other clubs hanging on for dear life to survive? Most people associated with football quickly get their noses out of joint when one club is given concessions for the cap and points as a long-term member of the same league is dying. I could've told you this was doomed from the start and just another example of the unrealistic world some people in football live in. In this instance, Broadford was already dead, they wanted to resurrect themselves in a 'Major League' at the expense of the existing cap and points system already in place. The whole episode is embarrassing for anyone involved in such a ridiculous process.....if you can call it that.

The point of all of this has nothing to do with personal grievances. What is to do with the fantasy associated with an idea about the ego of one or two people all while we see other clubs hanging on for dear life to survive? Most people associated with football quickly get their noses out of joint when one club is given concessions for the cap and points as a long-term member of the same league is dying. I could've told you this was doomed from the start and just another example of the unrealistic world some people in football live in. In this instance, Broadford was already dead, they wanted to resurrect themselves in a 'Major League' at the expense of the existing cap and points system already in place. The whole episode is embarrassing for anyone involved in such a ridiculous process.....if you can call it that.
There was no extra cap.

And you can't say it's nothing to do with personal grievances and then in the next breath have another crack at the people you've all sooked about.

Last edited:
And I know many of you will be celebrating because of personal grievances but its bloody sad that another club has gone. No matter who they are.
Sorry mate, I for one dont know anyone involved with the Broadford idea. However you would have to admit it was all pie in the sky stuff from the get go. To go from recess to competing in a major league is a fair stretch. If the club cant be admitted somewhere locally there must be some major problems somewhere in the immediate past that prevents this.

Currently, Broadford is just a netball club. They have no football teams and have allegedly failed a burden of proof test for fielding football teams in 2025. On this score, the BFNL should be acknowledged for preventing this issue from getting further out of control over the summer by bringing it to a head right now.

That said, this situation should have never arisen with a premier league. A club coming out of recess should be working to get three football teams onto the field in a district league and consolidate itself before eyeing off the goal of playing in a premier league. As we are aware, a significant majority of current district league clubs are ill-equipped to be competitive at BFNL level, let alone one that has been in recess after bouncing around leagues in recent decades.

Broadford need to liaise with AFL Victoria and the leagues in their region and come up with a plan for them to re-enter senior football, complete with a criteria of expectations that the club has to meet (player numbers, behaviour, etc).

There was a comment made here over the weekend about bringing the Gisborne Giants into the BFNL. No way. The club has not even played a single game of senior football. Being a Riddell league club would also be a good point of difference in the town as well, with the town having two clubs in different leagues. I would hope that there would be no consideration by the club of entertaining a move to the BFNL for at least 10-15 years and only after having demonstrated their capability to be competitive on the field over a long period of time - by then the Gisborne Bulldogs will be in the Ballarat league, anyway.

Last edited:
Currently, Broadford is just a netball club. They have no football teams and have allegedly failed a burden of proof test for fielding football teams in 2025. On this score, the BFNL should be acknowledged for preventing this issue from getting further out of control over the summer by bringing it to a head right now.

That said, this situation should have never arisen with a premier league. A club coming out of recess should be working to get three teams onto the field in a district league and consolidate itself before eyeing off the goal of playing in a premier league. As we are aware, a significant majority of current district league clubs are ill-equipped to be competitive at BFNL level, let alone one that has been in recess after bouncing around leagues in recent decades.

Broadford need to liaise with AFL Victoria and the leagues in their region and come up with a plan for them to re-enter senior football, complete with a criteria of expectations that the club has to meet (player numbers, behaviour, etc).

There was a comment made here over the weekend about bringing the Gisborne Giants into the BFNL. No way. The club has not even played a single game of senior football. I would hope that there would be no consideration by the club of entertaining such a move for at least 10-15 years and demonstrated their capability to be competitive - by then Gisborne will be in the Ballarat league, anyway.
"Gisborne Giants into the BFNL. No way. The club has not even played a single game of senior football."

Where/how did Strath start? BTW I have no idea so honest question.

There was no extra cap.

And you can't say it's nothing to do with personal grievances and then in the next breath have another crack at the people you've all sooked about.

I’ve no personal grievances with the Broadford Footy Club at all. In fact I was very close to playing there at one point as I have had some good mates play there plus a family connection.

I simply was of the view that trying to get up and going again in the Bendigo league was not going to be possible

The process of Broadford being considered for the BFNL was all about egos. It cant be anything else. Anyone in business and/or football who has been successful in either will tell you it is about having the right people, the right appetite for risk and an understanding of the risk that exists or could arise and the right product to sell into a market that needs your product. In the case of Broadford they never had the people let alone the right ones, the BFNL and AFL Vic even entertaining this meant they were seduced by the egos in the room because they had to know the risks and the product they were selling wasn't for the right market and was not a finished product fit for sale. There has to at least be an investigation into the actions of the parties involved in this even getting to the stage of any consideration.

There’s two totally separate issues at play.

I think all of us don’t want to see clubs die, and want to see Broadford find a way forward. That needs to be with a sound, well considered proposal, not the dog’s breakfast we’ve seen here.

The issue I have is with the complete and total incompetence of those charged with operating the Bendigo football league, which has once again been on display with the amateurish handling of the Broadford application.

Time and again (in fact every single time) we see a complete lack of any sort of leadership or clear policy for the game and the league going forward. This is just another example.

By the way, hub advertised for another staff member during the week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Bendigo FL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back