Mega Thread Best 22/2013 Predictions and all that

Remove this Banner Ad

^^^^ TLDR. I'd prefer the focus went into learning the new game plan. I'd expect better positioning, more efficient running, but am not expecting many players at all to be changing position. In particular - it was made mention of moving young players like Mitchell: please don't.

Why would you move players from positions where they've performed?

Walker's 2011 shows they need to be left in the one spot to get a consistent performance out of them. You don't want them switched all over the ground like Gibbs and Walker who were Ratten's answer to plugging holes last year. Leave them in the one spot.

Only changes in a perfect world would be...

Henderson back to playing as a lead up CHF with Waite playing out of the square
Yarran and Gibbs to play as an outside mid/wing/high half forward
Joseph back to tagging as depth

I can't see how we could put Hammer, Kreuz and Warnock in the one side. There's no space for Warnock up forward, and Kreuz can't play there unless its a pinch with Hammer in the ruck.

I'd rather Rowe or Levi over Warnock as both are capable of being key forwards and filling in ruck duties.

Levi wasn't too bad in the ruck given no experience at AFL level, rewatching games he does impress and show much promise.... Cringe....

Garlett Waite Walker
Hammer Levi Betts.

MM does like the 3 talls option. Only issue is whether 2 talls like Levi and Hammer can team together and not interfere with eachothers set up.

Hammer was boxing with Rowe in the Cachia video......

I can't see how we could put Hammer, Kreuz and Warnock in the one side. There's no space for Warnock up forward, and Kreuz can't play there unless its a pinch with Hammer in the ruck.
The thing is that MM changes gameplans to suit the players at his disposal, rather than just trying to fit players in. If all three are played, Kruezer will not be a traditional Ruck-forward, he will not be Leigh Brown. I suspect MM would create a new role for K, allowing him to run a lot more, possibly similar to the use of Cox at the Coast.
MM will certainly not be trying to fit round pegs in square holes.

Pretty sure I'm closing in on breaking Numbers' posting code.
enigma-full-804.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure people can call Mitchell in best 22 - he's played one game and didn't do a great deal. Not saying he won't be a best 22 possibly end of next year or after, but hasn't shown he's better than Hampson or Levi as yet. With experience maybe, Rowe has to prove himself too.

We really lack that FF goal kicker. Levi is maybe our best target but we all know the problem with that one. Some of the big dudes do take a few years to get right though.

Warnock:206, 103kg - best tap ruckman, but not agile enough around the ground
Hammer: 201, 102kg - athletic, good in ruck, good kick, not the best contested mark.
Kreuzer: 200, 101kg - athletic - good in ruck, good kick, reasonable mark.
Casboult: 198, 98kg - Athletic - servicable pinch ruck, shanker, good contested mark. (needs more opportunity)
Mitchell: 198, 96kg- Athletic - Not much of a ruck, solid kick, mark?? (yet to really get a chance, needs VFL time)
Rowe: 198, 94kg - Reasonably athletic, servicable ruck, solid kick, pack crash marker (not proven at AFL level)

McCarthy is an unknown, Hendo seems sold as a backman as is McInnes and their we're down to a mediums.

I imagine locking in Betts, Jeffy (as much as it pains me), Walker, Waite.

The only area that gives me confidence is the midfield.

Not sure people can call Mitchell in best 22 - he's played one game and didn't do a great deal. Not saying he won't be a best 22 possibly end of next year or after, but hasn't shown he's better than Hampson or Levi as yet. With experience maybe, Rowe has to prove himself too.

We really lack that FF goal kicker. Levi is maybe our best target but we all know the problem with that one. Some of the big dudes do take a few years to get right though.

Warnock:206, 103kg - best tap ruckman, but not agile enough around the ground
Hammer: 201, 102kg - athletic, good in ruck, good kick, not the best contested mark.
Kreuzer: 200, 101kg - athletic - good in ruck, good kick, reasonable mark.
Casboult: 198, 98kg - Athletic - servicable pinch ruck, shanker, good contested mark. (needs more opportunity)
Mitchell: 198, 96kg- Athletic - Not much of a ruck, solid kick, mark?? (yet to really get a chance, needs VFL time)
Rowe: 198, 94kg - Reasonably athletic, servicable ruck, solid kick, pack crash marker (not proven at AFL level)

McCarthy is an unknown, Hendo seems sold as a backman as is McInnes and their we're down to a mediums.

I imagine locking in Betts, Jeffy (as much as it pains me), Walker, Waite.

The only area that gives me confidence is the midfield.
Just on your concerns about our forward line, how many people would have been prepared to put money on Travis Cloke (22 games, 22 goals in 2009), Chris Dawes (4 games, 5 goals in 2009) & Leigh Brown (23 games, 10 goals in 2009) being part of a premiership forward line in 2010? Of that trio, only Cloke had any claims to be an AFL standard forward. Things can change very quickly with the right game plan & individual growth in confidence.

Just on your concerns about our forward line, how many people would have been prepared to put money on Travis Cloke (22 games, 22 goals in 2009), Chris Dawes (4 games, 5 goals in 2009) & Leigh Brown (23 games, 10 goals in 2009) being part of a premiership forward line in 2010? Of that trio, only Cloke had any claims to be an AFL standard forward. Things can change very quickly with the right game plan & individual growth in confidence.

Or that Sydney would win the Grand Final playing Mitch Morton at FF.......even throw Geelong in there who had Cam Mooney as #1 target for 2 of their premierships (Hawkins then wasn't the player he is now). Just shows how important goal kicking midfielders can be.

Or that Sydney would win the Grand Final playing Mitch Morton at FF.......even throw Geelong in there who had Cam Mooney as #1 target for 2 of their premierships (Hawkins then wasn't the player he is now). Just shows how important goal kicking midfielders can be.

What it shows is the spread of goalkickers that is necessary - be it talls, smalls or midfielders.

To be honest the people that continuously state that we can't win a flag because we don't have a dominant key forward are simply incorrect. There are plenty of examples (you've given a few) of teams in the past decade who have won a premiership without a dominant key position forward. People who continue to argue that Carlton won't win a flag as we don't have that figure in the forward line are either trolls or can't see the forest for the trees.

Whats good for me is that we have options and people competing for spots.

We need a settled defence, a deep midfield with a good mix of speed, inside and outside players and a flexible forward line with lots of options that can play tall or small.

My defence:

Temay Jamison Laidler
Yarran Watson Duigan

Temay is my outsider to fill the BP spot which we struggle. Watson looks to get a go at CHB which allows Henderson to go forward. White, McInnes are real options as well.

Midfield rotation:

Judd Murphy Gibbs Robinson McLean Scotland Simpson Walker Lucas Bootsma Armfield Graham Touhy Garlett Carrazzo Ellard Curnow Joseph Cachia Bell

Lots of depth and different skill sets. Malthouse wants a deep midfield and will use most during the year.

Forward set up:

Key Talls: Hampson Casboult Kruezer Mitchell Rowe Henderson
Mobile Talls: Walker Waite McCarthy White
Smalls: Menzel Betts Dale Buckley Collins plus the midfield

Malthouse can go tall or small or in between depending upon opposition and conditions.

Left a lot of good players out that could easily command a spot. Just good to see.

I hope no one misunderstood what i meant. Its only that the forwards are injury prone and the mids are robust and have depth.

I'd love to see as my 18:

Laidler, Jamo, Duigan,
Yarran, Hendo, Scotland,
Simpson, Carrots, Gibbs
Jeffy, Waite, Walker
Hammer, Cas, Betts
RR: Kreuz, Judd, Murph

+ Bell + Army + Mitch + Brock + Menzel + Watson etc

If we have a year like sydney with minimal injuries and fair rotations of youth and fringe players we can be contenders.... If...

Football is about getting the winning score on the board.

A forward has to be able to kick the ball thru the big sticks reliably.

I remember watching Brad Miller for the Tigers the last couple years. He would continually present and mark really well. But he would more than likely miss the goal.

It is team deflating.

Jordan Lisle kicked the ball terribly for the Hawks one day at the G. He didn't last long at the Hawks. Ironically, more bad goalkicking helped the Hawks lose this years flag.

I can't see Levi, as good a mark as he is, improving that kicking enough to be a reliable AFL player. He COULD be that diamond in the rough like David Cloke or Stewie Loewe but the odds are against him. Those 2 seemed to be able to iron will the ball thru the goals somehow.

Do you want the ball in Levi's hands at an important stage of an important match?

Do you want it Travis Cloke's hand or Buddy Franklin's hand at an important stage. Both hugely unreliable kicks. I know they're a bit better than Casboult but you get my point.The only way you get a shot at goal is to get the thing first. Casboult marks it as well as anyone. No good being a good kick if you can't play FF. Kicking can be worked on. Stewie Loewe you mention couldn't hit the side of a barn door from point blank range for a long time abut he sorted that with time.

Whats good for me is that we have options and people competing for spots.

We need a settled defence, a deep midfield with a good mix of speed, inside and outside players and a flexible forward line with lots of options that can play tall or small.

My defence:

Temay Jamison Laidler
Yarran Watson Duigan

Temay is my outsider to fill the BP spot which we struggle. Watson looks to get a go at CHB which allows Henderson to go forward. White, McInnes are real options as well.

Midfield rotation:

Judd Murphy Gibbs Robinson McLean Scotland Simpson Walker Lucas Bootsma Armfield Graham Touhy Garlett Carrazzo Ellard Curnow Joseph Cachia Bell

Lots of depth and different skill sets. Malthouse wants a deep midfield and will use most during the year.

Forward set up:

Key Talls: Hampson Casboult Kruezer Mitchell Rowe Henderson
Mobile Talls: Walker Waite McCarthy White
Smalls: Menzel Betts Dale Buckley Collins plus the midfield

Malthouse can go tall or small or in between depending upon opposition and conditions.

Left a lot of good players out that could easily command a spot. Just good to see.
Encouraging to see his steady improvement since coming to the club. :confused:

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread Best 22/2013 Predictions and all that

Remove this Banner Ad

Back