Opinion Best 22 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Harwood would still be able to rotate through the middle. Could swap with Rich or Lester down back at times. He'd just add that ability to burst from packs which would be handy.

thats why I reckon his run off the half back is where he is needed to bust through the press

I must be in the minority but I feel as though Harwood would offer more as a defender like Adcock but with more contested game style. Would rather Lester be in the contested ball winner with his clean hands and good decision making.
Reckon the contested ball winner rather Lester's hands be clean also.:eek:

I'd rather Hanley, Zorko, Green and Mayes going through the middle than Harwood. He's good, but the others are better if we want that burst of pace. His defence is really good though.

I must be in the minority but I feel as though Harwood would offer more as a defender like Adcock but with more contested game style. Would rather Lester be in the contested ball winner with his clean hands and good decision making.

I was one who was not completely sold on Harwood as a defender in the past but he looked so accomplished down back in 2013 that I'd be hesitant to move him away from that role.

Having said that, ball winning is an issue for us and Harwood is very good at getting the footy in tight. The question is whether we lose anything in terms of the ability to run both way and to spread, if he were to shift in the middle.

I'm not opposed to it but he's proving himself to be so good down back that I'm not sure moving him into a midfield role would be my first preference.

I was one who was not completely sold on Harwood as a defender in the past but he looked so accomplished down back in 2013 that I'd be hesitant to move him away from that role.

Having said that, ball winning is an issue for us and Harwood is very good at getting the footy in tight. The question is whether we lose anything in terms of the ability to run both way and to spread, if he were to shift in the middle.

I'm not opposed to it but he's proving himself to be so good down back that I'm not sure moving him into a midfield role would be my first preference.

Good post.

On the other side, he's still a developing footballer, and he'll be more valuable in the long run if he's comfortable spending some time in the guts.

And Yeo's departure might mean we need to adjust the balance of our defenders to get a bit more explosive pace down there. That might mean someone with a bit more agility spends more time down back (although it's hard to pick who that might be. Golby? Crisp? Someone we pick up in November?), and Harwood spends more time up the ground.

I'll have a go...

FB: Patfull Merritt Adcock
HB: Harwood Clarke Golby
C: Hanley Rockliff Rich
HF: Zorko West Mayes
FF: Staker Brown Green
Fol: Leuenberger Moloney Redden
Bench: Lester McGrath Beams Sub: Bewick

For me;

B: Adcock Merrett Patfull
HB: Golby Maguire Harwood
C: Hanley Rich Rockliff
HF: Zorko Staker Mayes
FF: Green Brown West
R: Leuenberger Redden Moloney
Bench: Raines Bewick McGrath Lester

I'd bring in McGuane for Bewick, McGrath, Harwood or Lester in that order. He is good enough with his defensive pressure and at ground level to be a genuine 3rd tall forward IMO. We then have the ability to swing one of Staker or McGuane back or play one of them on the wing at times. All going to plan West would be subbed just before 3 quarter time to bring on some pace around the footy.

Even with us being forced to take 6 youngsters in the draft; we're batting fairly deep - it'll now be a question of improvement in the younger brigade and to see what the new players bring to the club; personally I think all 3 will be best 22 when fit in 2014.

1. Brown
2. Merrett
3. Leuenberger
4. Rockliff
5. Rich
6. Redden
7. Adcock
8. Patfull
9. Hanley
10. Moloney
11. Zorko
12. Green
13. Golby
14. Lester
15. Staker
16. Clarke
17. Raines
18. Harwood
19. McGrath
20. Bewick
21. Mayes
22. Beams
23. Lisle
24. Polkinghorne
25. Maguire
26. Martin
27. West
28. McGuane
29. Paine
33. Crisp
34. Wearden

You've missed Jono Freeman Panthera, which makes 35, so the point still stands. If we are to use all six picks in the draft, we will have to delist someone else, which more than likely is a demotion of a senior player to the rookie list, as we have done previously with the likes of Bartlett, Proud, Corrie, Garner and McCulloch...with Banfield being the most likely to get the tap on the shoulder.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You've missed Jono Freeman Panthera, which makes 35, so the point still stands. If we are to use all six picks in the draft, we will have to delist someone else, which more than likely is a demotion of a senior player to the rookie list, as we have done previously with the likes of Bartlett, Proud, Corrie, Garner and McCulloch...with Banfield being the most likely to get the tap on the shoulder.

I'd "rookie" Crisp or Wearden before Banfield.

Adcock Merrett Patfull

Harwood Clarke Golby

Hanley Moloney Mayes

Zorko Lisle Green

McGrath Brown Staker

Leuey Rich Redden

Beams McGuane Lester West

Bewick Martin Polkinghorne Raines

Maguire Close Paparone Paine

Banfield Crisp

That's 32 players who are ready to have a red hot crack at AFL level in 2014...did we really lose that much in the "Exodus"? Time will tell...

My 2 big predictions: Adcock will move back into the midfield
Close will be our CHF by years' end

The battle for the second ruck role and how we structure our forward line will be the most intriguing position battle imo.

Brown is obviously pencilled in, and I'd say Staker would be too. He had a solid year when he was given continuity in the forward half. Other than that it is an open race. Zorko and Green will most likely start as the small forwards.

That leaves two spots, which will largely depend on Leppa's preferred setup. Going by what Richmond did most of the time, we can expect three talls (including 2nd ruck) and medium forward/resting mid/small forward rotating through the other positions.

West/Martin/Lisle are probably battling for the same spot. I personally think Martin is the best option from that bunch.

What happens with the rest is largely guess work.

With Docherty and Yeo gone:mad: I'd be worried about taking away another player (eg. Harwood) from our mix of small defenders. For the same reason I can't see Adcock being moved up the ground, and McGrath may well get moved back. A few years ago we drafted to fill this gap in our list, it was then well covered, and now it is a bit shallow again.

B: Joel Patfull, Daniel Merrett, Justin Clarke

HB: Jed Adcock, Matt MaGuire, Mitch Colby

C: Daniel Rich, Brent Moloney, Pearce Hanley

HF: Dayne Zorko, Johnathan Brown, Brent Staker

F: Ashley McGrath, Jordan Lisle, Josh Green

R: Matthew Leuenberger, Tom Rockliff, Jack Redden

INT: Ryan Harwood, Andrew Raines, Sam Mayes, Ryan Lester (Sub)

EMG: Rohan Bewick, Clay Beams, Luke McGuane

Ladder Position: 7th-9th
Best & Fairest: Tom Rockliff
Most Brownlow Votes: Tom Rockliff
All Australian Contenders: Tom Rockliff, Daniel Rich, Pearce Hanley, Matthew Leuenberger
Leading Goal Kicker: Jordan Lisle (35 goals)

All the best in season 2014! :thumbsu:

Not a bad effort WWSD

Time will tell whether or not Jackson Paine will be in that mix as well.

I just think Lisle who will be in his 6th season next year, is due for a breakout season in the forward line. He showed some promising signs this year, especially in the second half of the season as a leading forward. I see him at this stage getting the spot ahead of Jackson Paine.

Interesting to see you have the 4 defensive talls, WWSD, presumably with Patfull playing on a smaller player. The argument against that would be that Patfull was playing so well on the primary key forward that it would be a risky move to change his role. The argument in favour however, is that he has become a much more attacking player and can play this role now to a high standard. He is also a more versatile player than Harwood (who I had in instead of Maguire).

It's not the way I went, but seeing that lineup makes me think it is a definite possibility.

I really like our team for next year and I'm very confident that we will challenge for a top 8 spot

FB: Golby/McGrath, Merrett, Patfull
HB: Harwood, Clarke/Maguire, Adcock
C: Hanley, Rich, Redden
HF: Zorko, Lisle/Paine, Mayes
FF: Green, Brown, Staker/McGuane
Fol: Leuenberger, Moloney, Rockliff
Int: Lester, Beams, Bewick, West
Polks, Raines, Paparone, Weardon, Close, Banfield, Crisp, Martin, Freeman

Very solid back 6/8: Can throw in McGuane, Staker, Lester
Very solid forward line: Can throw in Paparone, Close, Martin, Bewick, Weardon
Very solid midfield: Can throw in Lester, Beams, Raines, Crisp, Polks
Rucks: Can throw in West, Michael & Martin