Remove this Banner Ad

jknothimjustafan

Team Captain
Dec 5, 2010
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers
I know there has been a million threads simliar to this but you can pick your own from the Herald Sun newspaper website.

I tried to keep a balance of taller/smaller players similar to an actual AFL team so some great players will miss out purely for team balance. And obviosly only from the players listed on the website.

My team is

B. C Johnson. D Fletcher. G Wanganeen
HB. G Archer. G Jakovich. A Mcleod
C. P Matera. S West. N Buckley
HF. J Hird. W Carey. G Ablett snr
FF. B Johnson. T Locket. B Harvey
R. D Cox. C Judd. R Harvey

I. P Salmon. A Koutoufides. A Goodes. M Ricciuto

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/footy-revolution

You would think if Brad Johnson and Scott West were in the best 18 players from last 25 years they might have squeezed into a Grand Final in the more than a decade they played together?

You would think if Brad Johnson and Scott West were in the best 18 players from last 25 years they might have squeezed into a Grand Final in the more than a decade they played together?

are you saying they arent in the best 18 or are you just making a point about how unlucky they were?

I know there has been a million threads simliar to this but you can pick your own from the Herald Sun newspaper website.

I tried to keep a balance of taller/smaller players similar to an actual AFL team so some great players will miss out purely for team balance. And obviosly only from the players listed on the website.

My team is

B. C Johnson. D Fletcher. G Wanganeen
HB. G Archer. G Jakovich. A Mcleod
C. P Matera. S West. N Buckley
FF. B Johnson. T Locket. B Harvey

I. P Salmon. A Koutoufides. A Goodes. M Ricciuto

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/footy-revolution

Horrible, you obviously dont watch much AFL

Seriously? No Silvagni? Full back of the century?

Your team is reasonably good around the field... but when you have Fletcher in the best 22, and Silvagni not even in the team, you lose a lot of cred right there.

My quick attempt at work:

FB: G Archer - S Silvagni - G Wanganeen
HB: A McLeod - G Jackovich - L Hodge
C: N Buckley - M Voss - R Harvey
HF: J Hird - W Carey - M Ricciuto
FF: D Jarman - T Lockett - G Ablett (Snr)
Foll: A Sandilands - G Ablett (Jnr) - C Judd

Inter: A Goodes - A Koutoufides - J Worsfold - J Stynes

Pretty tough to try and pick a balanced team without just picking the best players on the list. Eg I'd love to have Dunstall in their but with Lockett, Carey and Ablett Snr in the side it's impossible to fit him in.

The list they put together is terrible.

No Daicos.
No Modra.
No Phil Matera.
No Hudgton.
No Milne.
No Gehrig.
No Mick Martyn.
No Martin Pyke.
No Mal Michael.
No Lade.
No Goodwin.
No Bartel.
No Burke.
No Loewe.
No Craig Bradley.
No Peter Bell.

It goes on and on. Obviously my bias comes through but I'm sure everyone would have serious wtf moments with the HS options.

Not saying these guys would make peoples best 22 but if Mercuri, Buddy, Chapman, Farmer and West are there, why not others? Favorite sons? Sure. Greatest of all time? Depends on who you talk to.

Can't wait to read Mark Stevens 2 page spread about who is supposedly the greatest 22 of the modern era. As voted by the fans of course :rolleyes:

Mine:

B Archer, Silvagni, Wanganeen
HB Chris Johnson, Jakovich, McLeod
C Robert Harvey, Judd, Peter Matera
HF Tredrea, Carey, Dunstall
F Gary Ablett Snr, Lockett, Brent Harvey*
R Cox, Buckley, Voss

Int Greg Williams, Simon Black, James Hird
Sub Chris Grant

*If Modra was available he would take Boomer Harveys spot in the team as the 'small' forward. It's ridiculous that he isn't available to select in the squad.

The list they put together is terrible.

No Hudgton.
No Milne.
No Gehrig.
No Lade.
No Goodwin.
No Bartel.
No Loewe.
No Peter Bell.

Whilst some on your list have genuine claims to being included in the squad (and you've listed Craig Bradley, who is in the squad), the ones i've left in your list above were all good to excellent players, but not "greatest of an era" type players.

No Peter Daicos - no credibility.

How could the Herald-Sun leave him out of the contenders. Sheeesh!!
Well he only kicked 97 impossible goals from a forward pocket in our premiership year and could be thrown in the middle for a guaranteed 30+ disposals at any given time

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Huh?

How about we start to pick sides with players that actually played, or had the capacity to play, the proper positions?

You honestly think that Dunstall and Tredrea - two elite players - would have struggled playing around the 50m arc? They didn't exactly forge careers without moving from one spot on the ground

Honestly, Teffy... some of the stuff you come out with...

Here is a balanced side:

B. C Johnson. M. Scarlett G Wanganeen
HB. G. McKenna G Jakovich. A Mcleod
C. P Matera. G. Williams M. Voss
FF. P. Daicos J. Dunstall B Harvey

I. N Buckley, B. Cousins, A Goodes, M Ricciuto,

You honestly think that Dunstall and Tredrea - two elite players - would have struggled playing around the 50m arc? They didn't exactly forge careers without moving from one spot on the ground

Honestly, Teffy... some of the stuff you come out with...

McKenna and McLeod would have a picnic on dunstall at half back.

They would have a picnic on Tredrea with every ball that hit the ground.

Half forward flankers need to be able to mark and be quick one touch players at ground level.

Here is a balanced side:

B. C Johnson. M. Scarlett G Wanganeen
HB. G. McKenna G Jakovich. A Mcleod
C. P Matera. G. Williams M. Voss
FF. P. Daicos J. Dunstall B Harvey

I. N Buckley, B. Cousins, A Goodes, M Ricciuto,

Daicos wasn't available to select. Pretty sure Cousins wasn't either. Even if Cousins was, he wouldn't be in the best 22.

No Stephen Silvagni at FB either.

Every arseh*le has an opinion on this kind of thing. Most of them are just plain wrong as the general public are more often than not stupid. The first and last time I visit this thread.

Every arseh*le has an opinion on this kind of thing. Most of them are just plain wrong as the general public are more often than not stupid. The first and last time I visit this thread.

You know what? You're absolutely right.

Remove this Banner Ad

Best 22 AFL era. Herald Sun

Remove this Banner Ad

Back