Opinion Best 22 for 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Nothing like a bit of hyperbole. Dangerfield

Rating players doesn't mean you don't acknowledge their flaws, and that they could improve. Danger can kick horribly sometimes, Selwood can lose his head and Hawkins gives away a fair few free kicks. Menegola could maybe work on his disposal under pressure (as could many others). Doesn't mean you cut him from the team, you back him to improve. In fact, I think Menegola is far more likely to become elite in the next couple of years than Parfitt, Cockatoo, Narkle, Fogarty, Constable etc.

I think if Blight was coaching Geelong - he would publicly put pressure on Dangerfield re his disposal - words to that affect - that he has to make every possession count . He is a fantastic player - but he wastes so many disposals - so many turnovers

When Blight 1st coached Geel - Ablett had a bad habit - he would get the front position - he would back back into the fullback - locking arms with the FB - and alot of times fall to the ground - looking for the free kick over the shoulder etc

Blight told him to keep his feet - and stop playing for the freekick

However Chris Scott is never going to put public pressure on Dangerfield to vastly improve his disposal - but it is an absolute certainty that Blight ( with his track record ) would - and it would greatly benefit Geel

I think if Blight was coaching Geelong - he would publicly put pressure on Dangerfield re his disposal - words to that affect - that he has to make every possession count . He is a fantastic player - but he wastes so many disposals - so many turnovers

When Blight 1st coached Geel - Ablett had a bad habit - he would get the front position - he would back back into the fullback - locking arms with the FB - and alot of times fall to the ground - looking for the free kick over the shoulder etc

Blight told him to keep his feet - and stop playing for the freekick

However Chris Scott is never going to put public pressure on Dangerfield to vastly improve his disposal - but it is an absolute certainty that Blight ( with his track record ) would - and it would greatly benefit Geel
For better or for worse, times have changed and this current generation of players do not respond to public humiliation. Coaches these days rarely even give the team a spray. Not saying I like it, but I doubt Blights approach would be effective today.

Menegola does it consistently in high pressure games.
He is the epitome of a Chris Scott team that gets smashed in the first quarter of a final. By the end of the game the scoreboard wont be too bad and Menegola's numbers wont look too bad either.
Cam Guthrie is like that now in nearly every game doesn't need to be a final and is picked every week,that's the culture that must change if the club to progress.

For better or for worse, times have changed and this current generation of players do not respond to public humiliation. Coaches these days rarely even give the team a spray. Not saying I like it, but I doubt Blights approach would be effective today.
Blight is one of the old school whack job coaches, like Sheedy.
I loved him at the time, but in the end he couldn't get us a premiership.

Cam Guthrie is like that now in nearly every game doesn't need to be a final and is picked every week,that's the culture that must change if the club to progress.

Cam Guthrie has been shuffled around too much and its hard to play an outside game under Chris Scott.

No one protects him, but in saying that he has gone downhill and another who should have been moved on.

Guthrie has gone backwards so much in the last couple of years. I thought he'd end up better than Duncan, yet Duncan went on to have a near AA season in 2017 whilst Guthrie can't even hold a position. Personally would have traded or taken the FA pick. I think we've seen the best of him, but would like to be proven wrong.

you embarrass yourself with those comments

it's fine to disagree without being a flog

i dont see people who rate Menegola talk about his performances in finals or how he rushes his possession when pressure goes up

his stats during the home and away look good and Chris Scott rates him so he must be good
Menegola has actually been ok in finals. Not outstanding (although he has played a couple of above average games from the 6 finals he's played in his '53' game career.

He averages 21 disposals, almost 1 goal and 5 tackles in finals.

His qualifying final against Hawthorn in 2016 was good, as were two of his finals the following year. He was even ok against Melbourne last year and was in our top 7 or 8 on the night.

You're posting utter garbage.

Not bad for a player who has played 53 games and plays as a high half forward.

When has public humiliation ever been the most effective method? I don't understand how it even worked on Ablett, who clearly didn't care about public sentiment. I would be surprised if Blight didn't also coach Ablett to keep his feet in private, and that that was the impetus for change.

Think Wells expects Kennerley to be inside/outside to be honest.

He looks a bit skinny to do that anytime soon. Just looks a straight up winger to me. I was thinking that they expected 6-6-6 to make wingers more important and valuable so take the best straight up wingman you can.

The more i think about it the more i think we should've taken the trade on Kelly. Given the kids on offer there

He looks a bit skinny to do that anytime soon. Just looks a straight up winger to me. I was thinking that they expected 6-6-6 to make wingers more important and valuable so take the best straight up wingman you can.

The more i think about it the more i think we should've taken the trade on Kelly. Given the kids on offer there

Got a view of training yesterday (pissing down). Kelly looked very invested in all proceedings. Very good in match sim. in the wet.

He will be value this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And so as to keep the thread on track, the little I saw yesterday suggested the following are tracking better than I thought.

Miers. Good endurance - surprised me. If he can play that ever moving small forward he is a chance. Not creating with pace but arriving at enough contests to use his goal sense to hit the scoreboard.
Abbot - looks stronger and produced some nice ground level efforts. (No other ruck in match sim. so no comparisons available) Just looked more agile and confident.
Krueger. looks good and in match sim. made good poor initial body position on experienced defender to get to the drop. Mobile.

These might contend harder than I thought (for selection early). After a very small sample.

Got a view of training yesterday (pissing down). Kelly looked very invested in all proceedings. Very good in match sim. in the wet.

He will be value this year.
Whilst he expressed a desire to move home for family reasons, I never got the vibe he'd be unprofessional enough to tank out this year. Long way to go of course but he wants the best deal he can get from WC or us going forward. And to get that requires performance and results.
I can't see TK not being best 22 all year. His skills and touch have not disappeared just bc the missus wants to go home.

He'll be in the first 10 picked each week I have no doubt.

Go Catters

When has public humiliation ever been the most effective method? I don't understand how it even worked on Ablett, who clearly didn't care about public sentiment. I would be surprised if Blight didn't also coach Ablett to keep his feet in private, and that that was the impetus for change.
You want to send a player a message,To up his game.One word.

OMITTED.

Whilst he expressed a desire to move home for family reasons, I never got the vibe he'd be unprofessional enough to tank out this year. Long way to go of course but he wants the best deal he can get from WC or us going forward. And to get that requires performance and results.
I can't see TK not being best 22 all year. His skills and touch have not disappeared just bc the missus wants to go home.

He'll be in the first 10 picked each week I have no doubt.

Go Catters
If he still to intends on heading back to WA at seasons end then him having another good year is likely to increase what he is being offered. I'd say that gives him good motivation to perform considering it is likely to be his final big contract. At the very least the match bonuses for playing all 22 games will make a noticeable difference to him.

Now that the list is complete, this is how I would like to see us line up against the Pies in Round 1:

FB: Stewart, Blicavs, Henry
HB: Bews, Kolodjashnij, Tuohy
C: Duncan, Dangerfield, Rohan
HF: Narkle, Hawkins, Parfitt
FF: Ablett, Ratugolea, Dahlhaus
R: Fort, J. Selwood, Kelly

INT: S. Selwood, Clark, Fogarty, Menegola

EMG: Constable, Stanley, O'Connor, Cunico

Points of Interest:
  • Two debutants, Jordan Clark, playing and running across half-back and driving the ball forward, and Darcy Fort, spending the majority of the game in the ruck, rotating with Ratugolea
  • Cam Guthrie misses out - simply no room
  • No Cockatoo - can't seeing him being fit. If he is, Fogarty or Narkle to make room
  • Ablett playing almost permanently in the forward line. Depending on the situation of the game and the team we have available, half-forward may also be an option
  • Hawkins playing further up the ground as an option across half-forward. Think Scarlett hitting Mooney at half forward - I can see Clark hitting Hawkins the same way
  • Rohan playing a running role up and down the ground - a recent report from training detailed how fast he was running up the ground into an open goal
No Taylor, but I think reports are his firing... Would have a fit Taylor any day over Kolo.

I would prefer Rohan deeper in attack as he can mark overhead, but with a licence to push up the ground so he can expose his defender on the rebound run forward. That forward line needs more marking options, so I'd switch the positions of Parfitt and Rohan around. I also like Menegola and Danger rotating also through there, Danger with 80% midfield and 20% forward. GAJ 90% forward, 10% midfield.

I would also need to see Fort perform in JLT or VFL before he replaces Stanley, or even Abbott.

I'd probably have Cunico ahead of Narkle atm, but only by a fraction. But having said that, I think Cunico is a winger, and Narkle has more versatility to play forward.

Just 2 cents, otherwise its okay.

Now that the list is complete, this is how I would like to see us line up against the Pies in Round 1:

FB: Stewart, Blicavs, Henry
HB: Bews, Kolodjashnij, Tuohy
C: Duncan, Dangerfield, Rohan
HF: Narkle, Hawkins, Parfitt
FF: Ablett, Ratugolea, Dahlhaus
R: Fort, J. Selwood, Kelly

INT: S. Selwood, Clark, Fogarty, Menegola

EMG: Constable, Stanley, O'Connor, Cunico

Points of Interest:
  • Two debutants, Jordan Clark, playing and running across half-back and driving the ball forward, and Darcy Fort, spending the majority of the game in the ruck, rotating with Ratugolea
  • Cam Guthrie misses out - simply no room
  • No Cockatoo - can't seeing him being fit. If he is, Fogarty or Narkle to make room
  • Ablett playing almost permanently in the forward line. Depending on the situation of the game and the team we have available, half-forward may also be an option
  • Hawkins playing further up the ground as an option across half-forward. Think Scarlett hitting Mooney at half forward - I can see Clark hitting Hawkins the same way
  • Rohan playing a running role up and down the ground - a recent report from training detailed how fast he was running up the ground into an open goal
I’d like to think that Kolo and Henry are vying for the same spot - 3rd tall defender

Taylor v Henderson - 2nd tall defender

Blitz - full back

Parfitt wing, Rohan Forward

Bews v OConnor. Is Bewsy shoulder ready for the new season. Obviously he has first dibs

Scooter v Constable. What role is scooter playing? Would love to see a defensive mid fielder as we won’t be winning the ruck

I’d like to think that Kolo and Henry are vying for the same spot - 3rd tall defender

Taylor v Henderson - 2nd tall defender

Blitz - full back

Parfitt wing, Rohan Forward

Bews v OConnor. Is Bewsy shoulder ready for the new season. Obviously he has first dibs

Scooter v Constable. What role is scooter playing? Would love to see a defensive mid fielder as we won’t be winning the ruck

As it stands, I'm not sold on playing Taylor or Henderson. The backline functioned best when they weren't playing from about Rounds 4-14. Rohan is better on the wing because of his speed, Parfitt is better forward because of his goal sense and potential to add to the defensive pressure in the forward line (along with Dahlhaus). Every effort will be made to get Bews back into the team and if he's ready he'll play, if not then O'Connor will come in. Scooter is in to play a tagging role, in Round 1 this would be on Pendlebury or Beams. He'll need to do a good job though (and consistently) or Constable will displace him

As it stands, I'm not sold on playing Taylor or Henderson. The backline functioned best when they weren't playing from about Rounds 4-14. Rohan is better on the wing because of his speed, Parfitt is better forward because of his goal sense and potential to add to the defensive pressure in the forward line (along with Dahlhaus). Every effort will be made to get Bews back into the team and if he's ready he'll play, if not then O'Connor will come in. Scooter is in to play a tagging role, in Round 1 this would be on Pendlebury or Beams. He'll need to do a good job though (and consistently) or Constable will displace him
Fair enough.

I thought Kolo played decent between 4-14 too but felt he went missing in the 2nd half of the season. My gut feel is that he does that when the pressure rises, he prone to getting the fumbles. I’d prefer a fit Taylor or Henderson but each to their own.

Opinion Best 22 for 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Back