Opinion Best 22 for 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

what are his stats in losses and finals?

downhill skier of the highest order

if you cant perform under intense pressure then you are a waste of time

unless all we want is to make finals and then get embarrassed

no one is as bad as Menegola when it comes to finals
2nd would be Kolo
and 3rd Blicavs

if you are primarily a big ball winning mid and your output goes down significantly then you are more of a problem for the rest of the team (since its your job to win it and give it to outside players)

against Melbourne he had 5 contested possessions and 2 tackles

this guy is 189cm and 89kg and cant win the footy on the inside

as far as outside play his DE was 60% and he mostly handballs

when he does get the ball he has no agility so he has to kick it around the corner or handball it to space

that no agility doesn't help defensively either, the agile Melbourne mids waltzed around him time and time again

also plays HF but why? he has no footy smarts, just another not a good enough mid so we'll dump him forward (he can outbody smaller opponents in developing teams but good teams dont play those guys in finals)

there should be no place for Menegola

could have traded him to a team that needs a big mid
Just stop.
You’re embarrassing yourself again

Are people really questioning Menegola's place in the team?

5th most goals
5th most disposals
4th most marks
2nd most tackles

Amazing!

Think l've mentioned this 2 or 3 times to some it doesn't mean anything!
He's also the only player in the top five of the 5 major stats on the club website, includes game pts scored
Hardly fringe 22 stuff.

Last edited:
Just stop.
You’re embarrassing yourself again

you embarrass yourself with those comments

it's fine to disagree without being a flog

i dont see people who rate Menegola talk about his performances in finals or how he rushes his possession when pressure goes up

his stats during the home and away look good and Chris Scott rates him so he must be good

Think l've mentioned this 2 or 3 times to some it doesn't mean anything!
He's also the only player in the top five of the 5 major stats on the club website, includes game pts scored
Hardly fringe 22 stuff.

when you are a big bodied inside mid you are going to have high stats in possessions and tackles

Jarryd Lyons had good numbers as well and he got dumped by the GC

when you are a big bodied inside mid you are going to have high stats in possessions and tackles

Jarryd Lyons had good numbers as well and he got dumped by the GC

Ok l'm a fan of his but those stats not many even get near.
He's playing as a medium fwd too, l think that's costing him as well.(still kicked 22 goals could've been 30+)
We'll probably have to agree to disagree on this one cynical.

Last edited:
I can't think of any. For a high half forward that's impressive
Maybe ..I'm a fence sitter on Menegola .. I can see attributes kicks and marks well .. and the tackle stats are better than id have thought yet I also wonder if he represents the pool of lukewarm talent that has let us down in finals. Of course he is far from an island in that respect.

ON the stats..im guessing.. as I have not researched .. a dangerous thing to do as egg on face could happen easily. And Im not saying delisted .. but guys who were on our list and then were not... SJ's last season was pretty good .. Caddy? But both are a bit different than Menegola. Going back Arnott would be an interesting case as he went very well , was a mature player..went well in the B&F then was basically moved aside for the young brigade.

Basically I still think its up to other to push him out ..but ideally some young guys show enough that they put his place under pressure. I remember having a strong debate once about David Mensch ..the other participant was down into him hard etc.. yet id say its not his fault there are none better ..if he is so poor then let other show they are worthy of selection before him.And Mensch was actually a pretty good level player..just no champion.

Last edited:
Now that the list is complete, this is how I would like to see us line up against the Pies in Round 1:

FB: Stewart, Blicavs, Henry
HB: Bews, Kolodjashnij, Tuohy
C: Duncan, Dangerfield, Rohan
HF: Narkle, Hawkins, Parfitt
FF: Ablett, Ratugolea, Dahlhaus
R: Fort, J. Selwood, Kelly

INT: S. Selwood, Clark, Fogarty, Menegola

EMG: Constable, Stanley, O'Connor, Cunico

Points of Interest:
  • Two debutants, Jordan Clark, playing and running across half-back and driving the ball forward, and Darcy Fort, spending the majority of the game in the ruck, rotating with Ratugolea
  • Cam Guthrie misses out - simply no room
  • No Cockatoo - can't seeing him being fit. If he is, Fogarty or Narkle to make room
  • Ablett playing almost permanently in the forward line. Depending on the situation of the game and the team we have available, half-forward may also be an option
  • Hawkins playing further up the ground as an option across half-forward. Think Scarlett hitting Mooney at half forward - I can see Clark hitting Hawkins the same way
  • Rohan playing a running role up and down the ground - a recent report from training detailed how fast he was running up the ground into an open goal

Yep. Works as a surprise tactic.
Great to see the utter panic on his opponent's face when he realises what's about to happen.
But Cynical is correct in saying he struggled when a real defender was placed on him.
He struggled because he lost his explosiveness on the lead this year, hes never been amazing when he has to take a contested mark one on one will be interesting to see how he looks with a full pre season under his belt.

Now that the list is complete, this is how I would like to see us line up against the Pies in Round 1:

FB: Stewart, Blicavs, Henry
HB: Bews, Kolodjashnij, Tuohy
C: Duncan, Dangerfield, Rohan
HF: Narkle, Hawkins, Parfitt
FF: Ablett, Ratugolea, Dahlhaus
R: Fort, J. Selwood, Kelly

INT: S. Selwood, Clark, Fogarty, Menegola

EMG: Constable, Stanley, O'Connor, Cunico

Points of Interest:
  • Two debutants, Jordan Clark, playing and running across half-back and driving the ball forward, and Darcy Fort, spending the majority of the game in the ruck, rotating with Ratugolea
  • Cam Guthrie misses out - simply no room
  • No Cockatoo - can't seeing him being fit. If he is, Fogarty or Narkle to make room
  • Ablett playing almost permanently in the forward line. Depending on the situation of the game and the team we have available, half-forward may also be an option
  • Hawkins playing further up the ground as an option across half-forward. Think Scarlett hitting Mooney at half forward - I can see Clark hitting Hawkins the same way
  • Rohan playing a running role up and down the ground - a recent report from training detailed how fast he was running up the ground into an open goal

Good side. Few comments from me. O’connor Ahead of Bews. Stanley I think will be no 1 ruck ahead of Fort. No Scott Selwood for me (Constable, Cunico ahead of him).

Fair comment on Cockatoo. Desperately hope he is fit though.

Good side. Few comments from me. O’connor Ahead of Bews. Stanley I think will be no 1 ruck ahead of Fort. No Scott Selwood for me.

If MOC isnt good enough to get a game as a rebounding defender he shouldn't be in the side for mine, playing a guy that's 191cm as a lockdown defender on small forwards is ludicrous to me.

No matter what Fort might bring in the longer term, the idea that he will start ahead of Stanley early in the year (given how Rhys was going in the ruck before he want down with injury towards the end of 2018) seems fanciful to me.

If the #1 can bring what he was offering through his final six weeks of footy last season, I really don't see the need for a change.

Having said that, stacks of pressure from below (from the likes of Ryan, Darcy and even Zac) can only be a good thing in improving our competitiveness around the ball in 2019.

Good side. Few comments from me. O’connor Ahead of Bews. Stanley I think will be no 1 ruck ahead of Fort. No Scott Selwood for me (Constable, Cunico ahead of him).

O'Connor and Bews is a toss up, hard to split because they play similar roles, are both similar heights and are both quick. I went with Bews, I think he's a nicer, more accurate kick than O'Connor. He also won me over with performances against small forwards like Eddie Betts a couple of years ago, completely took him out of the game. Also with O'Connor, the image of him getting stepped around by Daniher in 2017 still sits in the back of my head

I'm a fan of Fort given his height, we had Stanley up in the middle for chunks of the year and struggled with clearances, so giving Fort a run is worth a try. Watching his highlights from the SANFL, he is huge (205cm), mobile, takes a nice mark up forward and rather than just tapping the ball out of the ruck, he pretty much shoves it down the midfielders throat. Mix great hit-out with Dangerfield's ability to burst from the middle, and we could become unstoppable

With Selwood, I like keeping him in the team to play a tagging role. Might not be needed every week, but when we're playing Collingwood or West Coast I'd like to see him take blokes like Pendlebury and Gaff out of the game, rather than allowing them to take control out of the middle as has happened against us before

On Cockatoo, it would be incredible to see what he could do in the famous Number 5 jumper, but it's really a dream now. Flashes of brilliance (like the running goal from 50m in his first NAB Challenge game) left us all pretty excited, but the constant injuries has been a let down. If he can't get on the park consistently this year, then I think he will face a similar fate to Menzel and be shown the door. As nice as it would be, we can't just keep holding onto these guys forever

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we will know early on if O'Connor is the real deal. He has apparently returned in ripping good shape, and it should be remembered that his EF performance overshadowed some illustrious teammates.

Training the house down as well.........:p

Henderson will play...people writing him off based on last years performances, forgetting he had 2 ...or was it 3?....surgeries on his PCL...that cruelled his season. If he's back to full fitness, he'll be best 22.

Last edited:
I think we will know early on if O'Connor is the real deal. He has apparently returned in ripping good shape, and it should be remembered that his EF performance overshadowed some illustrious teammates.

Henderson will play...people writing him off based on last years performances, forgetting he had 2 ...or was it 3?....surgeries on his PCL...that cruelled his season. If he's back to full fitness, he'll be best 22.

So he should, he’s had an extra practice match on everyone else on our list

Builders make a fortune each preseason..

Maybe .see at.I'm a fence sitter on Menegola .. I can tributes kicks and marks well .. . I remember having a strong debate once about David Mensch ..the other participant was down into him hard etc.. yet id say its not his fault there are none better ..i.

You make a good point - giving the example of Mensch - i was no fan of his at all - slow - use to drop quite a few chest marks

However as you say - and as John Todd when he was coaching the West Coast Eagles use to say - you can only put on the field - players actually on your list

And for a good period their - Mensch ( even with his limitations ) was the best Geel had - so he got plenty of games - then i can remember Bomber Thompson finally dropped him for good - purely because someone - i think Mooney had finally proved at that point he was better

You make a good point - giving the example of Mensch - i was no fan of his at all - slow - use to drop quite a few chest marks

However as you say - and as John Todd when he was coaching the West Coast Eagles use to say - you can only put on the field - players actually on your list

And for a good period their - Mensch ( even with his limitations ) was the best Geel had - so he got plenty of games - then i can remember Bomber Thompson finally dropped him for good - purely because someone - i think Mooney had finally proved at that point he was better
To be fair, Mensch did improve and played a very decent season or two before injuring himself.

Can't agree re Menegola l think he needs more central time not as much half fwd and he'd 30+ every week.
He needs playing in his best position, midfield. With his aerobic running and ability to accumulate, he could and should take a step to elite.

Hope you're right, but can't see it.

He's the worst downhill skier we've got. Zero composure under any kind of pressure. Might as well give him September off. If we make it.

i dont see people who rate Menegola talk about his performances in finals or how he rushes his possession when pressure goes up

his stats during the home and away look good and Chris Scott rates him so he must be good

Seems to be enough for plenty. I think that's where the analysis ends.

Oh wow you’ve doubled down on it too.
Broken clocks and all that, one day you’ll get something right.

Hope you're right, but can't see it.

He's the worst downhill skier we've got. Zero composure under any kind of pressure. Might as well give him September off. If we make it.
Nothing like a bit of hyperbole. Dangerfield had something like 12 clangers in the Melbourne final, which demonstrates his composure was rattled by pressure, and was worse than Menegola. Guess we should've traded Danger when we had the chance...

Rating players doesn't mean you don't acknowledge their flaws, and that they could improve. Danger can kick horribly sometimes, Selwood can lose his head and Hawkins gives away a fair few free kicks. Menegola could maybe work on his disposal under pressure (as could many others). Doesn't mean you cut him from the team, you back him to improve. In fact, I think Menegola is far more likely to become elite in the next couple of years than Parfitt, Cockatoo, Narkle, Fogarty, Constable etc.

Nothing like a bit of hyperbole. Dangerfield had something like 12 clangers in the Melbourne final, which demonstrates his composure was rattled by pressure, and was worse than Menegola. Guess we should've traded Danger when we had the chance...

Rating players doesn't mean you don't acknowledge their flaws, and that they could improve. Danger can kick horribly sometimes, Selwood can lose his head and Hawkins gives away a fair few free kicks. Menegola could maybe work on his disposal under pressure (as could many others). Doesn't mean you cut him from the team, you back him to improve. In fact, I think Menegola is far more likely to become elite in the next couple of years than Parfitt, Cockatoo, Narkle, Fogarty, Constable etc.

Menegola does it consistently in high pressure games.

You can judge how much pressure is in a game by how well Menegola plays and what his disposal efficiency is.

Too many people on this board judge players by their disposal numbers and fail to watch them perform.

Menegola has inflated numbers because he is a big body with high levels of endurance, he does well against mediocre teams and developing players (who get played more during home and away).

Once the sting goes out of a game Menegola will start racking up the numbers.

He is the epitome of a Chris Scott team that gets smashed in the first quarter of a final. By the end of the game the scoreboard wont be too bad and Menegola's numbers wont look too bad either.

Opinion Best 22 for 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Back