Opinion Best 22 for 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't see Hawkins coming out of FF now at 30 years of age,let the younger Ratagolea do the hard yards at CHF getting up and down the ground,we need to squeeze every year we can out of Hawkins now.

What they mean is he'll roam the forwardline not stand in the 10mt square, he did that after they realised he was more effective and was up to it.
Carn't argue, career best stats last year though some say this doesn’t matter???

LOVE THE THOUGHT OF STANLEY'S PACE IN DEFENCE WITH NEW RULES
Stanley would be a horrible KPD for his height coz he's poor at reading the flight of the ball which affects his positioning for body on body stuff and contesting the mark! Better to use one of our smaller KPDs that has a lower center of balance for the other stuff; Kolo? Stewart? ...I believe Henry has done enough already to show that he can make a contest of it in the air and on the ground as a KPD. Kolo not so much good in the air or on the ground but he should be allowed to grow into it and Stewart is preferred on a flank or pocket for added coverage of the air and drive out of defense!

What they mean is he'll roam the forwardline not stand in the 10mt square, he did that after they realised he was more effective and was up to it.
Carn't argue, career best stats last year though some say this doesn’t matter???
Remember though when Ratagolear broke the leg they needed Hawkins to go up the ground to be the get out target coming out of the backline that's not where I want my match winning forward.

So Stanley and Henderson are basically the same age and one has played pretty close to an AA level but you would pick the one who has never shown anything at the position. And who also has shown he struggles to play good footy anywhere but ruck. STRANGE!
You are a touchy one foodmeister. I'm just throwing it out there that his run off half back may well be a thing to consider. It has been a problem for us for a while now

We need every boost going fwd we can find.
I like Henderson.

Agreed but I just think we should be looking to use good running small defenders with quality delivery to get that rather than a guy who is primarily a ruckman. I think playing too tall in defence has been a problem for a couple of years. We just lack run and carry out of our back half and it looks like it could be the same this year. If feels like we may have two or three key defenders plus Henry and Bews and then the only genuinely offensive player in our back half is Touhy. Not a good enough mix IMHO. Despite being a Scott fan I am getting sick of him seemingly playing the best 22 individual players rather than the best combination of 22 players to make a balanced team. Kolo on a wing was a classic example. Some good medium/tall players in our defence will just have to miss out if they are all fit IMO for us to play our best team. I really hope Clarke has a Selwood type season and just forces his way in because he is exactly what we need. Great reader of the play and a sensational kick.

Agreed but I just think we should be looking to use good running small defenders with quality delivery to get that rather than a guy who is primarily a ruckman. I think playing too tall in defence has been a problem for a couple of years. We just lack run and carry out of our back half and it looks like it could be the same this year. If feels like we may have two or three key defenders plus Henry and Bews and then the only genuinely offensive player in our back half is Touhy. Not a good enough mix IMHO. Despite being a Scott fan I am getting sick of him seemingly playing the best 22 individual players rather than the best combination of 22 players to make a balanced team. Kolo on a wing was a classic example. Some good medium/tall players in our defence will just have to miss out if they are all fit IMO for us to play our best team. I really hope Clarke has a Selwood type season and just forces his way in because he is exactly what we need. Great reader of the play and a sensational kick.
I reckon Clark plays round one. Clark tuohy Stewart news with the occasional selwood and Rohan off half back to bolster the running

This years likely team
Stewart blicavs bews
Clark Taylor Henry
Tuohy selwood Duncan
Kelly Hawkins cockatoo
Ablett ratagolea dahlhaus
Stanley dangerfield parfitt
Menegola Rohan Henderson Guthrie

Fort
Constable
Narkle
Kolo
Smith
S.Selwood
Kreuger
Abbott
Knocking the door down in the twos for selection

This years likely team
Stewart blicavs bews
Clark Taylor Henry
Tuohy selwood Duncan
Kelly Hawkins cockatoo
Ablett ratagolea dahlhaus
Stanley dangerfield parfitt
Menegola Rohan Henderson Guthrie

Fort
Constable
Narkle
Kolo
Smith
S.Selwood
Kreuger
Abbott
Knocking the door down in the twos for selection

Geez I have to say I really really like that team. Almost exactly the one I would pick. Also I think Guthrie in that team has to be a tagger assuming that is C Guthrie. I think he plays his best footy in that mid stopper role and we still need some defensive minded mids in that centre square and on ball role.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If everyone is fit and available:

Senior side:

B: Bews Blicavs Henry
HB: Tuohy Taylor Stewart
C: Kelly Duncan Cunico
HF: Parfitt Ratugolea Menegola
F: Ablett Hawkins Dahlhaus
Foll: Stanley Dangerfield J.Selwood
Int: Cockatoo Kolodjashnij Narkle Abbott

VFL side:

B: Atkins Henderson O'Connor
HB: Clark Krueger Z.Guthrie
C: Jones S.Selwood Rohan
HF: Fogarty Buzza Brownless
F: Okunbor Fort Miers
Foll: Smith Constable C.Guthrie
Int: Kennerley Tarca Simpson Jarvis

I just hope like last year someone out of the blue Henry is in best 22..best thing for the club

Was looking at our team in Round 1 2011 compared to the grand final side the same year and we had several youngsters (West, Duncan and Christensen) push out the older blokes (Mooney, Milburn and Byrnes) by year's end. The only way we can improve IMO is if we have something similar happen this season.

Will be looking at the likes of Cunico, Narkle and possibly Constable or O'Connor pushing up and becoming regulars by the end of the year (I see Henry already as part of our best 22).

Was looking at our team in Round 1 2011 compared to the grand final side the same year and we had several youngsters (West, Duncan and Christensen) push out the older blokes (Mooney, Milburn and Byrnes) by year's end. The only way we can improve IMO is if we have something similar happen this season.

Will be looking at the likes of Cunico, Narkle and possibly Constable or O'Connor pushing up and becoming regulars by the end of the year (I see Henry already as part of our best 22).

Yes we definately need to find big improvement in 2nd and 3rd year players.
Ratugolea needs to see himself as a key element up forward and Jordan Cunico needs to take a big step to become a dominant midfield transition player.
Both have so much undeveloped potential.
JC had only 1 game prior to the 18 season so 14 was a big deal last year. Going 18.4 possessions and averaging 356 mts gained l reckon is pretty impressive, l'd hope the club noticed this huge gain and nurture this kid appropriately.
Unfortunately Constable missed out on senior selection but obviously impressed being named emergency many times.
If in early form should be given every chance to play senior level, we do lack a big mid so there's a spot he can make his own.
I'm imagining Miers being a big talent, one who might surprise seems a bit of a tough nut to me.
He went midfield once late last year for 26 possessions and is among the best runners pre season. Could he force his way in?
I also like O'Conner and from all accounts is looking the goods, hopefully that transitions to his match play and he strengthens the backline.
Henry, just involve more, improve those numbers and builds the tank for more coverage.

Last edited:
FB Clark - Blicavs - Stewart
HB Tuohy - Kolo - Henry
C Duncan - Selwood - Parfitt
HF Dahlhaus - Hawkins - Ablett
FF Atkins - Esava - Rohan
Fol Stanley - Danger - Kelly
Int Menegola - Cockatoo - O'Connor - Narkle

Emg: Bews, Taylor/hendo, C.Guthrie

If everyone is fit and available:

Senior side:

B: Bews Blicavs Henry
HB: Tuohy Taylor Stewart
C: Kelly Duncan Cunico
HF: Parfitt Ratugolea Menegola
F: Ablett Hawkins Dahlhaus
Foll: Stanley Dangerfield J.Selwood
Int: Cockatoo Kolodjashnij Narkle Abbott

VFL side:

B: Atkins Henderson O'Connor
HB: Clark Krueger Z.Guthrie
C: Jones S.Selwood Rohan
HF: Fogarty Buzza Brownless
F: Okunbor Fort Miers
Foll: Smith Constable C.Guthrie
Int: Kennerley Tarca Simpson Jarvis
Not a bad second squad.
Think Rohan will be in the ones though.:(

What happens if Kelly gets the sulks? Do they continue to play him or pick Clark or Constable? I will be very interested to see if he has the same drive in 2019? It will make an enormous difference to the make up of our best side IMO.

Unfortunately the Senior side named is pretty much a version of the side hopelessly exposed in finals again. Its not going to be good enough.

Wouldn't a new coach reinvigorate the whole club especially the playing staff?
Scott's a fortunate bloke.
How he got that extention l don't know.

Opinion Best 22 for 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Back