Opinion Best 22 for 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

True, but if the heart and head ain't in it, it'll be a long, impatient year for Kelly, especially if we're not winning. I just hope the club has the strength of character to drop him if he starts to phone it in.

This really will be a defining issue for us this year - no idea how it will pan out.

We are not talking about a Murdoch type thats been in the system , has been in out of the washer frustrated and disappointed etc. He has a very defined window that even if one is self centred ..its very much in his own interest to play it out hard. Perhaps there is a point where it could all go "mudcake" ...lets say july or aug and we are having an appalling season and he is carrying an injury or two ... but generally its all about personal motivation..and there seemed to be enough superficial noise last year that he was enduring a bumpy off field situation yet he still kept a very good standard up for most the year.

I have no problem with Kelly spending half the season in the VFL if he doesn't pull his weight. It will be interesting to see how this unfolds.
I don't even know why you are worried about it. It's like you want an excuse to criticise him. He hasn't put a foot wrong in my opinion, and here you are, prepping to drop him if he puts a foot wrong?

What you are doing isn't right.

I don't even know why you are worried about it. It's like you want an excuse to criticise him. He hasn't put a foot wrong in my opinion, and here you are, prepping to drop him if he puts a foot wrong?

What you are doing isn't right.
Excuse to criticise him? He's a great player, nothing to criticise. Look, here's the deal. If he drops form and doesn't want to be there, then send him to the VFL until the end of the year and that is what's right! I've had enough of the Kelly saga. Geelong did not make a mistake picking him, (the mistake was made by both WA clubs in the first place), but i stated in a post last March that this was going to be trouble. He entered the draft and knew the rules, the WA clubs had four picks before Geelong picked him. Perhaps Geelong didn't do their homework? Still, he had the chance to go home at the end of the season, but decides that Fremantle was not an option, an AFL club that he shared training facilities with while playing for South Fremantle! What i'm saying is this, IF he fails to pull his weight this year and gets the sulks then off to the VFL he goes. What's wrong with that? I don't think he will, but you never can tell? I hope he stays, but that appears to be unlikely. he definitely needs a new manager.

Excuse to criticise him? He's a great player, nothing to criticise. Look, here's the deal. If he drops form and doesn't want to be there, then send him to the VFL until the end of the year and that is what's right! I've had enough of the Kelly saga. Geelong did not make a mistake picking him, (the mistake was made by both WA clubs in the first place), but i stated in a post last March that this was going to be trouble. He entered the draft and knew the rules, the WA clubs had four picks before Geelong picked him. Perhaps Geelong didn't do their homework? Still, he had the chance to go home at the end of the season, but decides that Fremantle was not an option, an AFL club that he shared training facilities with while playing for South Fremantle! What i'm saying is this, IF he fails to pull his weight this year and gets the sulks then off to the VFL he goes. What's wrong with that? I don't think he will, but you never can tell? I hope he stays, but that appears to be unlikely. he definitely needs a new manager.
Ok, so the reason you are making it a point, even though he has not done anything whatsoever to suggest he won't be a professional, is because you predicted there would be trouble.

I still don't think that is a good reason to be planning around something that he has shown absolutely no evidence of doing.

Even if you prove to be right, and he becomes lazy, of course the club will drop him if he doesn't perform. He has more to lose than they have.

Firstly ..for all players ... if they are in bad form should we persist with them? Lets say we look at him like any other player.. he is a player and a person ..he has baggage but all players do. For me the how we got here is separate from what happen if in the future. Lets look at him like any other player and say they all must bring something to the table... no one should get a free voyage .. although some will get more leeway than others if they find themselves becalmed. Kelly has shown enough that I doubt he will just flung for a game or two where he didn't "pull his weight".

where does he fit? What is your backline?
That's pretty simple, if he's a better choice than the others, he's in.
I'm not very good at picking teams, because I want to fit them all in, but my backline in order of how I would pick them in a playground (presuming they are 100% fit)...
Stewart, Blicavs, Tuohy, Henry, Henderson, Harry, Kolo, Bews, O'Connor...
Clark looks promising, but I can't choose someone I haven't seen play.
Zuthrie is someone I am still hopeful will work his way into contention.
I would also change the order depending on who we were playing.

That's pretty simple, if he's a better choice than the others, he's in.
I'm not very good at picking teams, because I want to fit them all in, but my backline in order of how I would pick them in a playground (presuming they are 100% fit)...
Stewart, Blicavs, Tuohy, Henry, Henderson, Harry, Kolo, Bews, O'Connor...
Clark looks promising, but I can't choose someone I haven't seen play.
Zuthrie is someone I am still hopeful will work his way into contention.
I would also change the order depending on who we were playing.

Im all for the best form plays ..and as it stands without seeing 2019 form i struggle to see to see where Harry and Lochie both fit..while we continue to play Blitz as a KPD. As I want him to do. Henry is extra coverage for height.
I do not want an overly tall stodgy backline so two talls is as much as I can see atm playing.. so that leaves 5 not talls Stewart,Bews,Guthire,2e,Kolo,Henry then OConnor, ZacG and perhaps Clarke.. and we did start to experiment with JSelwood back as well which with his wear and tear is not a bad thing to improve his longervity. He is such a smart footballer and tough

we have several options back of centre.

so I cant see Harry and Henderson and Blitz and Henry as first picked. To me Henderson falls out if we play Harry.

Im all for the best form plays ..and as it stands without seeing 2019 form i struggle to see to see where Harry and Lochie both fit..while we continue to play Blitz as a KPD. As I want him to do. Henry is extra coverage for height.
I do not want an overly tall stodgy backline so two talls is as much as I can see atm playing.. so that leaves 5 not talls Stewart,Bews,Guthire,2e,Kolo,Henry then OConnor, ZacG and perhaps Clarke.. and we did start to experiment with JSelwood back as well which with his wear and tear is not a bad thing to improve his longervity. He is such a smart footballer and tough

we have several options back of centre.

so I cant see Harry and Henderson and Blitz and Henry as first picked. To me Henderson falls out if we play Harry.
Agree with Blitz. Harry and the Henderson will be interesting to watch, as I'm hoping they will keep playing Henry regardless.

Last edited:
If you want to count Henry and Stewart as talls than 6 is not out of the question.

But I suspect that in truth we will play 3 KPDs, one of Harry/Hendo/Kolo missing out with Blicz locked in.

Blitz and Hendo/Taylor is plenty for mine...supplemented with Henry. We need mobility and drive...we used to try to force a long kick in and that would play to our strength.. I think thats something we have to move towards as forwardlines are smaller.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Blitz and Hendo/Taylor is plenty for mine...supplemented with Henry. We need mobility and drive...we used to try to force a long kick in and that would play to our strength.. I think thats something we have to move towards as forwardlines are smaller.
Maybe not so much Harry, but I think all of Blicz, Hendo and Kolo absolutely contribute mobility and drive. Maybe not as much as a Z. Tuohy, but they also offer something in terms of a stronger backstop to anchor our forward thrusts around.

Stewart Blicavs Bews
Henry Taylor Clark
Tuohy Selwood Duncan
Kelly Hawkins Cockatoo
Ablett Ratagolea Dahlhaus
Fort Dangerfield Parfitt
Menegola Henderson Stanley Rohan

Second 22

O'Connor Kolo Zuthrie
Simpson Schlensog Jarvis
Selwood Guthrie Kennerley
Fogarty Kreuger Miers
Atkins Abbott Tarca
Smith Constable Cunico

Stewart Blicavs Bews
Henry Taylor Clark
Tuohy Selwood Duncan
Kelly Hawkins Cockatoo
Ablett Ratagolea Dahlhaus
Fort Dangerfield Parfitt
Menegola Henderson Stanley Rohan

Second 22

O'Connor Kolo Zuthrie
Simpson Schlensog Jarvis
Selwood Guthrie Kennerley
Fogarty Kreuger Miers
Atkins Abbott Tarca
Smith Constable Cunico
No parsons in either 22... Post approved :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

Maybe not so much Harry, but I think all of Blicz, Hendo and Kolo absolutely contribute mobility and drive. Maybe not as much as a Z. Tuohy, but they also offer something in terms of a stronger backstop to anchor our forward thrusts around.

Henderson does do that. he can intercept mark..can run down and get on the end of something and have a shot at goal.. I dont see him as someone who can move it out against and in heavy traffic

Henderson does do that. he can intercept mark..can run down and get on the end of something and have a shot at goal.. I dont see him as someone who can move it out against and in heavy traffic
There aren't many players who can move the ball against heavy traffic, that's the entire rationale behind the pressure gamestyles.

You must surely appreciate that it would be a very unexpected and sudden pivot to see us only playing two key defenders this year?

There aren't many players who can move the ball against heavy traffic, that's the entire rationale behind the pressure gamestyles.

You must surely appreciate that it would be a very unexpected and sudden pivot to see us only playing two key defenders this year?

I dont see it that way... Blitz is a lock and Harry and Lochie can fight it out... we have plenty of medium sized backs that can cover tall as well as mediums... id say that would be more of a return to our historically most successful sides.

In 2007 we didnt have one player the height of Blitz (yes Egan went down before finals )
Screen Shot 2019-02-04 at 5.00.15 pm.png
2009 we added Taylor

Screen Shot 2019-02-04 at 5.03.08 pm.png

2011 we added Longergan ...
Screen Shot 2019-02-04 at 5.06.09 pm.png

Overall ... I dont see a side where we had 2 super tall kpb , let alone 3. Now we have Blitz 198 , Henderson 196 , Taylor 195 , Kolo 193 , Henry 191 ..even MOC is 191.

I dont see it that way... Blitz is a lock and Harry and Lochie can fight it out... we have plenty of medium sized backs that can cover tall as well as mediums... id say that would be more of a return to our historically most successful sides.

In 2007 we didnt have one player the height of Blitz (yes Egan went down before finals )
View attachment 614654
2009 we added Taylor

View attachment 614657

2011 we added Longergan ...
View attachment 614658

Overall ... I dont see a side where we had 2 super tall kpb , let alone 3. Now we have Blitz 198 , Henderson 196 , Taylor 195 , Kolo 193 , Henry 191 ..even MOC is 191.
I would be looking at playstyle more than just counting cm's, the only year we didn't have three KPDs in the side was 07 and that's because as you say, Egan went down. Lonners, Harley, Scarlo, Harry, Egan are all KPD and our preference during that era was clearly to play three of them at once.

Not that the structure from 07-11 should necessarily define how we play now.

I would be looking at playstyle more than just counting cm's, the only year we didn't have three KPDs in the side was 07 and that's because as you say, Egan went down. Lonners, Harley, Scarlo, Harry, Egan are all KPD and our preference during that era was clearly to play three of them at once.

Not that the structure from 07-11 should necessarily define how we play now.

Its a fair point that just looking at cm's can be missleading

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Best 22 for 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Back