Opinion Best 22 for 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Wonder how close Atkins will be if his form is as good or better than last year, would've been called up if he had've been on the list.
Best position FP?
he is one that I am very interested in seeing take the next step up

Don’t want to be too tall down back, we need pace down back and on the wings so we can link up with mids and forwards. Blicavs, Henderson, Henry enough. Can’t find a spot for kolo and Taylor. Pick roles players. Kolo wing is a no , so is Taylor forward a no. Oh Henry or Henderson don’t perform look at kolo or push Henderson forward depending on rata’s Progress. Cockatoo could be half back with freedom to run? Narkle in forward/mid role. No S Selwood and Ablett up forward. Selwood only 70% midfield and find role for him at half forward. Parfitt , danger, kelly, Duncan main midfielders. Rotate 9-10 through there

B: Bews Blicavs Stewart
HB: C.Guthrie Henderson Clarke
C: Duncan J.Selwood Tuohy
HF: Dahlhaus Hawkins Ablett
F: Henry Ratugolea Parfitt
Foll: Stanley Dangerfield Kelly
Inter: Taylor Menegola Narkle Cockatoo

Emergencies: Rohan S.Selwood Kolodjashnij Z.Smith

Will also play plenty of games: Fogarty, Cunico, Constable.

Notes:
- C.Guthrie needs to make a spot in the backline his, we have better midfield options now. I think he can do it!
- Clarke will get a chance early, and I think he can stay put, providing that the team around him is doing their role well.
- Henry looked very composed as a defender, but he was recruited as a forward, and I think with Menzel gone he has an important role to play up forward.
- Rohan will struggle I think to cement a spot, but will get plenty of chances.
- I cheated and added an extra three players - no doubt plenty of games will be missed through injury, but hard to see where they fit when everybody is available!

What are people thinking about Atkins as the small pressure forward?

I mean he was the tackling beast of the VFL system... But is he creative enough to pile on goals?

I think he was used up the ground in the VFL. Just wondering if he played deeper attack.

Something a little different for mine:

B: Bews, Blicavs, Clark
HB: Tuohy, Henderson/Taylor, Stewart
C: Duncan, Selwood, Parfitt
FO: Stanley/Abbott/Fort, Danger, Kelly
HF: Kreuger, Ratugolea, Dahlhaus
F: Ablett, Hawkins, Cockatoo
INT: Henry, Narkle, Constable, Menegola

EMG: Rohan, Scooter, Guthrie, Fort/Abbott/Stanley

Sounds like Atkins will pushing hard to secure a spot ....
What are people thinking about Atkins as the small pressure forward?

I mean he was the tackling beast of the VFL system... But is he creative enough to pile on goals?

I think he was used up the ground in the VFL. Just wondering if he played deeper attack.

not sure where there seems to be plenty of positive vibe about him ...

Sounds like Atkins will pushing hard to secure a spot ....

not sure where there seems to be plenty of positive vibe about him ...

No reason why he wouldn't, he's been the best reserves player and now able to be selected for the AFL team he's more than likely to crack it imo.
Reckon he'll shake up the younger group can't fit them all in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wonder how close Atkins will be if his form is as good or better than last year, would've been called up if he had've been on the list.
Best position FP?

Defensive forward i think. Tough team to break into but hes a R1 chance.

Defensive forward i think. Tough team to break into but hes a R1 chance.

Not really a tough forwardline to break into imo it's really a raffle atm.
There's no standout small forwards atm so he's a big chance imho.
He's a strong solid unit so physically ready to go. I like his chances.

Last edited:
Not really a tough forwardline to break into imo it's really a raffle atm.
There's no standout small forwards atm so he's a big chance imho.
He's a strong solid unit so physically ready to go. I like his chances.

Dahlhaus is a standout but the 2nd small forward spot beside him is up for grabs and we have many options.

I know because I witness a large portion of your posts being stat based to rate players.

Firstly, Cunico played his AFL footy on a wing and the other 3 you're comparing have spent the majority of their time forward, so perspective in that regard needs to be considered, not just measuring their possession numbers as a means to rating one over the others.
Sorry mate, but some of us like evidence to support our arguments. The alternative touted by self announced footy experts is that they are right by virtue of their superior eyes, apparently. 🙄

Don't see Hawkins coming out of FF now at 30 years of age,let the younger Ratagolea do the hard yards at CHF getting up and down the ground,we need to squeeze every year we can out of Hawkins now.
Any evidence to suggest that Ratugolea would be better at the job than Hawkins? I mean the games he played up the ground last year were some of Tom's best. Or is this just another case of writing off a player because they have hit 30?

Any evidence to suggest that Ratugolea would be better at the job than Hawkins? I mean the games he played up the ground last year were some of Tom's best. Or is this just another case of writing off a player because they have hit 30?

Apparently when you reach 30 you lose the use of your legs?

Last edited:

Absolutely right, he was at his very productive best last season especially when roaming the forwardline. (why wouldn't you do it again)
He likes to run and make his own space and has the ability to lose his opponent on the run.
Hopefully Sav can split the defence bring it to ground in favour of our smalls and be the secondary support Tom needs.

What happens if Kelly gets the sulks? Do they continue to play him or pick Clark or Constable? I will be very interested to see if he has the same drive in 2019? It will make an enormous difference to the make up of our best side IMO.
I dont get why this would be a problem.. I think he knows that he is here for the season..its not like he can have a mid season trade. Even the other half should be able to strap on and buckle up to last for another 9 months with the knowledge that all the noise doesn't make it easier to get a trade done but harder. Maybe that changes if he gets an injury that has him sidelined and out for the year but while he is playing its serves no purpose to be anything other than the best he can be.

I dont get why this would be a problem.. I think he knows that he is here for the season..its not like he can have a mid season trade. Even the other half should be able to strap on and buckle up to last for another 9 months with the knowledge that all the noise doesn't make it easier to get a trade done but harder. Maybe that changes if he gets an injury that has him sidelined and out for the year but while he is playing its serves no purpose to be anything other than the best he can be.

True, but if the heart and head ain't in it, it'll be a long, impatient year for Kelly, especially if we're not winning. I just hope the club has the strength of character to drop him if he starts to phone it in.

This really will be a defining issue for us this year - no idea how it will pan out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Best 22 for 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Back