Best 22 in 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

More chance of being in the coaches votes than being dropped I'd think.

For all the talk of difficult decisions I think it's actually pretty easy. The obvious decision is Henderson and S Selwood for Bews and Kolo. They're unlucky but there's nobody they deserve a spot ahead of and our midfield operates better with Selwood as the lockdown releasing Blicavs. The really tough decision will come if Cockatoo lights up the VFL this week and next.
Yep simple as that really

Cowan will definitely play, gut runner, but unlike Murdoch when he was playing same role, he can win the ball and can make defensive plays.
And I think having seen more of Cowan play since 2011.. He has a better feel for the game than Murda does.
Fish has had some really deft taps and little dink kicks to advantage that have proved telling IMO - 1% perhaps.

And he can kick goals when the opportunity arises. Not to mention his defensive work at the stoppages in curtailing the opposition fast ball outside. And he's getting about 20 touxhes a game... All good things..

Go Catters

Vs the Hawks:

B: Enright Lonergan Mackie
HB: Guthrie Taylor Ruggles
C: Duncan Menegola Blicavs
HF: Motlop Stanley Caddy
F: McCarthy Hawkins Menzel
Foll: Smith Dangerfield JSelwood
Int: Bartel Cowan SSelwood Kolo

Guthrie v Rioli
SSelwood v Mitchell

I think you have it pretty much right, S.Selwood in for Bews. I don't think Guthrie will start on Rioli though, l think he will be around the ball and if any of their small forward start to create trouble, they may move him back.

Assuming everyone's fit - vs the Hawks -

B: Bews (plays on Rioli) Lonergan, Mackie (plays on Breust)
HB: Enright, Taylor, Kolo
C: Motlop, Caddy, Blicavs
HF: Bartel, Stanley, Menzel
FF: McCarthy, Hawkins, Cockatoo
R: Smith, J.Selwood, Dangerfield
IB: Menegola, SSelwood, Duncan, Guthrie

Ruggles just so stiff. Henderson won't come up from an arthroscope in 2 weeks sadly. Cowan also super stiff. But essentially, cocky comes in for him because of his X factor. And pace. And forward pressure. And ability to kick a goal. And selwood comes in for Ruggles - we need him to sit on Mitchell.

Bews has the combination of pace and defensive ability that those two lack though. Guthrie might have done similar jobs in the past, but I'd rather he play a more attacking rebounder role back there and Bews goes the lock down. Ruggles to do a bit of both, on another small - I guess Poppy?

Cowan will definitely play, gut runner, but unlike Murdoch when he was playing same role, he can win the ball and can make defensive plays.
And can kick both feet.

I like Cowan's consistency. He doesn't stand out at being special at anything, but just goes about his business and gets to contest after contest and makes the effort to impact it. I really thought they were just getting him ready to be a backup for the finals, but I don't know anymore. If CS picked him over say Bartel for a GF, I would feel sad for Bartel, but I would have confidence that Cowan can do the job.

Oh and he can kick with both feet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Based on recent form Ruggles should be comfortably in front of Bews. With our midfield being so deep we can afford Guthrie back and he's a better option for Rioli than Bews anyway. I'd back Bews to do a job if needed but right now he's not in our best 22.
I love Ruggles, but I don't think he is comfortably better than Bews. Bews has been really good. And as we can all see, he attacks and is a tough strong player.

Assuming everyone's fit - vs the Hawks -

B: Bews (plays on Rioli) Lonergan, Mackie (plays on Breust)
HB: Enright, Taylor, Kolo
C: Motlop, Caddy, Blicavs
HF: Bartel, Stanley, Menzel
FF: McCarthy, Hawkins, Cockatoo
R: Smith, J.Selwood, Dangerfield
IB: Menegola, SSelwood, Duncan, Guthrie

Ruggles just so stiff. Henderson won't come up from an arthroscope in 2 weeks sadly. Cowan also super stiff. But essentially, cocky comes in for him because of his X factor. And pace. And forward pressure. And ability to kick a goal. And selwood comes in for Ruggles - we need him to sit on Mitchell.

For the Hawks, wouldn't it be Ruggles for Kolo? (to play on Puopolo) And Bews on Rioli?

Or do you think Kolo will play on Gunston (close-checking), Lonergan on the resting ruck, Taylor on Puopolo to make him defend and to get that mis-match, and Bews on Rioli to slam him into the turf time and time again?

The rest is about right and looks great. Cowan could come in for someone I guess if they are injured.

One of Bews or Ruggles must miss unless Kolo doesn't come up.

Ideally:

Taylor - Gunston
Lonergan - resting ruck (McEvoy/Fitzpatrick)
Kolodjashnij - Sicily
Mackie - Breust
Enright - Rioli
Bews/Ruggles - Puopolo

Taylor on Gunston limits his ability to control the air but Gunston has beaten Lonergan the last couple of times we've played them.
Mackie has a great record on Breust, likewise Enright on Rioli. If Cyril kicks a couple of early, send Guthrie down back.

One of Bews or Ruggles must miss unless Kolo doesn't come up.

Ideally:

Taylor - Gunston
Lonergan - resting ruck (McEvoy/Fitzpatrick)
Kolodjashnij - Sicily
Mackie - Breust
Enright - Rioli
Bews/Ruggles - Puopolo

Taylor on Gunston limits his ability to control the air but Gunston has beaten Lonergan the last couple of times we've played them.
Mackie has a great record on Breust, likewise Enright on Rioli. If Cyril kicks a couple of early, send Guthrie down back.
isn't Shoenmakers a tall forward now, trying to cover for the loss of Roughead. Just no where near that class.

isn't Shoenmakers a tall forward now, trying to cover for the loss of Roughead. Just no where near that class.

Ah yeah, forgot about him. They may play him on Taylor and try to use him as a decoy, dragging Harry away from the play.

I thought this is/was the 'best 22' thread and not the QF preview thread.

Also I would have thought the phrase "assuming everyone's fit" means "assuming everyone (on the playing list) is fit" and not "assuming everyone (on the playing list) including Cockatoo but not including Thurlow and not including Henderson is fit".

B: Enright Lonergan Henderson
HB: Mackie Taylor Thurlow
C: Guthrie Caddy Duncan
HF: Motlop Stanley Menegola
F: Menzel Hawkins Bartel
R: Smith Dangerfield J Selwood
I: Blicavs S Selwood Cockatoo McCarthy
E: Kersten Ruggles Kolo

if Thurlow is unavailable then Ruggles can be his direct replacement, and Cowan can be the replacement emergency.

Last edited:
And can kick both feet.

I like Cowan's consistency. He doesn't stand out at being special at anything, but just goes about his business and gets to contest after contest and makes the effort to impact it. I really thought they were just getting him ready to be a backup for the finals, but I don't know anymore. If CS picked him over say Bartel for a GF, I would feel sad for Bartel, but I would have confidence that Cowan can do the job.

Oh and he can kick with both feet.

Can also handball with both hands. See 4:10 in this clip.

Quick input here...

IMO Lonergan should be nowhere near guaranteed as being in our best 22 next season, especially given the options we have with KPD's.

I would go as far as saying that as is stands right now, he is outside my best 22. Just my opinion, but I did not like what I saw from Lonergan in the 2nd half of 2015. He was exposed on a number of occasions and looked like a player that lost all confidence - which is absolute kryptonite for a deep defender.

A backline with KPD's of Taylor, Henderson and Kolo gives us way more flexibility and means that we can adjust on the fly to other teams if required. If we play Lonergan and the other team's biggest Key Forward gets hold of Lonergan, what do we do? Let's say for example we are playing Hawthorn, the only logical matchup for Lonergan is Roughead. If Roughead kicks 3 in the first qtr (which given what I saw last year is a distinct possibility) then who does Lonergan play on? Gunston? Breust? No way. He has to stay on Roughead regardless of outcome which is a scary proposition.

There were a number of games last year when I watched Lonergan struggle and I thought to myself - Why aren't we making a move? And then I realised that we had no move to make.

I don't like it, because Lonergan has been a magnificent servant of the club over a number of years, but his time might be up unfortunately.
I am officially an idiot. Lonergan was massive last night, especially when we needed him most in the last qtr.

Best 22 in 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Back