Best 22 in 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Still very hard to pick a best 22. I think right now the way I'd set up the team isn't so much about picking the best 22 players but picking the best team balance.

To me the following are up in the air:

The ruck/KPF situation:
Kersten KPF and one genuine ruck, we had success a week ago against Adelaide in soggy conditions. Or two rucks as we did against the Bulldogs which was a pretty decent performance as well. Both are valid IMO, both Kersten and Stanley have the pace to play that KPF role off the shoulder using their pace to get back on the counter. Stanley adds a bigger contested marking threat and more presence in the ruck but loses forward pressure. Kersten adds that forward pressure and is a better kick but having Blicavs as a ruck/mid loses some control around stoppages. I could be convinced both way and really don't see how it's solved against the likes of Brisbane and Essendon.

The defensive structure:
Tall vs small debate still open. We've seen that we can play Henderson, Lonergan, Taylor and Kolodjashnij in the same team with success but I still wonder if we're better like that or playing an extra small. Again I could be convinced both ways but I definitely lean towards the smaller back line with the more conventional 3 tall setup.

The midfield make up:
Danger and J.Selwood are obviously nailed on but after that things are a bit hazy. Caddy presumably takes a midfield role, Menegola is fighting for a spot too and I'm sure S.Selwood will put his hand up next week as well. Guthrie guts/back debate rages and Blicavs as a pure mid or mid/ruck as discussed above has merit too.

For me our best team is:

FB: Ruggles Henderson Kolodjashnij
HB: Guthrie Taylor Mackie
C: Motlop Menegola Bartel
HF: Cockatoo Kersten Duncan
FF: McCarthy Hawkins Menzel
R: Blicavs S.Selwood Caddy
Int: Stanley J.Selwood Dangerfield Enright

**Benched named as is only to clarify role of fringe players
You have blicavs as first ruck. That is ridiculous.

For the Xmas Ham:

FB: Ruggles Lonergan Taylor
HB: Guthrie Henderson Enright
C: Mackie Dangerfield Duncan
HF: Motlop Stanley Bartel
FF: McCarthy Hawkins Menzel
R: Smith J.Selwood Caddy
Int: Blicavs S.Selwood Kolodjashnij Menegola

As good as Menegola has been I struggle to see how he fits in our best side. We're already playing a lot of inside mids and we've still got Caddy and possibly Selwood to come in ahead of him. We could squeeze him in by shifting Guthrie back but we don't seem to want to do that and it's late in the season to completely change things now.

As good as Menegola has been I struggle to see how he fits in our best side. We're already playing a lot of inside mids and we've still got Caddy and possibly Selwood to come in ahead of him. We could squeeze him in by shifting Guthrie back but we don't seem to want to do that and it's late in the season to completely change things now.

Its great to see Menegola take this chance. A couple more games to do something special and grab a finals spot or sit back and take it in with a nice shiney contract extension in his hand. Win - win. Club and player.

I can see how Menegola could fit into the side AND keep Guthrie as a midfielder:

B: Enright Lonergan Henderson
HB: Mackie Taylor (SIXTH DEFENDER)
C: Guthrie Caddy Duncan
HF: Motlop Stanley Cockatoo
F: Menzel Hawkins Bartel
R: Smith Dangerfield J Selwood
I: Blicavs Kersten S Selwood Menegola

twice in a few weeks - I have him in my best 22, not sure the MC see things the same way though!

I think Blicavs' poor form compared to last year indirectly means that Kersten has less of a chance of playing.

Blicavs selected as second ruck ---> Stanley selected as second key forward (Kersten no longer required)

I know that this idea is unpopular and I've been banging on about it all year but I don't give a shit. I hope that we try Henderson forward before the finals start so we can see how it looks.

I would have agreed with you in the first half of the season. But given that Henderson has played well as a defender, I wouldn't want to mess with his good form. It's August and it's probably too late to be doing positional changes (although I do miss the Kevin Sheedy coaching or 'Gary Ayres goes to the centre' type positional changes from the 1980s).

Also with Stanley kicking five goals, I think he is the incumbent key forward to support Hawkins. Then there is Kersten as backup, and Clark if required.

I would have agreed with you in the first half of the season. But given that Henderson has played well as a defender, I wouldn't want to mess with his good form. It's August and it's probably too late to be doing positional changes (although I do miss the Kevin Sheedy coaching or 'Gary Ayres goes to the centre' type positional changes from the 1980s).

Also with Stanley kicking five goals, I think he is the incumbent key forward to support Hawkins. Then there is Kersten as backup, and Clark if required.
In the future could you please quote my posts in the thread from which they were written.

Thanks.

The 25-man squad announced for the R20 game against Essendon probably indicates who the match committee think are the 27 best players (excluding Thurlow).

Backs: Andrew Mackie, Harry Taylor, Corey Enright
Half-backs: Jed Bews, Tom Lonergan, Lachie Henderson
Centres: Cameron Guthrie, Joel Selwood, Mark Blicavs
Half-forwards: Scott Selwood, Zac Smith, Steven Motlop
Forwards: Daniel Menzel, Tom Hawkins, Jimmy Bartel
Followers: Rhys Stanley, Patrick Dangerfield, Mitch Duncan
Interchange from: Josh Caddy, Nakia Cockatoo, Josh Cowan, Shane Kersten, Darcy Lang, Sam Menegola, Tom Ruggles

In: L.Henderson, S.Selwood, J.Caddy, S.Kersten, D.Lang
Out: L.McCarthy (adductor), J.Kolodjashnij (managed)

There is the 25-man squad, plus McCarthy and Kolo, for a total of 27.

Excluding Thurlow, my best 22 is:

Enright Lonergan Henderson
Mackie Taylor Ruggles
Guthrie Caddy Duncan
Motlop Kersten S Selwood
Menzel Hawkins Bartel
I: Stanley Blicavs Menegola Cockatoo
E: Kolo McCarthy Lang
Others: Cowan Bews

Lot of menegola love, impressive debut, decent in second showing without being anything special. Not sure if its a great idea to have Danger, 2xSelwood, Caddy & Menegola, surely thats too many inside mids? You'd primarily want two at each stoppage with the others to rotate, also having blicavs & bartel as in and under types who can prodive support, seems pretty one dimensional. Joel and Danger being rested by Caddy and Scooter seems best option. Not sure where menegola fits unless they drop Blicavs.
As for comparing Menegola to Scooter for that last spot, ill take the B&F winning 120 gamer over the 2 game mature age recruit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lot of menegola love, impressive debut, decent in second showing without being anything special. Not sure if its a great idea to have Danger, 2xSelwood, Caddy & Menegola, surely thats too many inside mids? You'd primarily want two at each stoppage with the others to rotate, also having blicavs & bartel as in and under types who can prodive support, seems pretty one dimensional. Joel and Danger being rested by Caddy and Scooter seems best option. Not sure where menegola fits unless they drop Blicavs.
As for comparing Menegola to Scooter for that last spot, ill take the B&F winning 120 gamer over the 2 game mature age recruit.

I've seen references to "roles" such as "inside mids" in your post and also other posts on the board.

I believe the importance of "roles" for non-rucks, non-key position players, non-defenders is overestimated. I don't care too much if a player is deemed to be an inside midfielder or outside midfielder or inside-outside midfielder or in-and-under player or a (designated) small forward, it's really about who I believe to be the better player.
This is particularly true when it comes down to selecting the last 1, 2, 3 or 4 places in the team, and there are already three players designated as small forwards: Motlop, Menzel and Bartel.

Basically what I have is this team:

Mackie Taylor Ruggles
Guthrie Caddy Duncan
Motlop Kersten _____________
Menzel Hawkins Bartel
I: Stanley Blicavs ______ ________

and then I am looking to fill three places with players that are not rucks, key position players or defenders. (Guthrie can be the 7th defender if required).

I believe S Selwood, Menegola and Cockatoo are the three best players, and that means McCarthy, Lang, Cowan, Bews and Kolo miss out.

Or maybe a short version of my post could be the question: Why does it matter if Geelong selects a lot of "inside midfielders" ?

I've seen references to "roles" such as "inside mids" in your post and also other posts on the board.

I believe the importance of "roles" for non-rucks, non-key position players, non-defenders is overestimated. I don't care too much if a player is deemed to be an inside midfielder or outside midfielder or inside-outside midfielder or in-and-under player or a (designated) small forward, it's really about who I believe to be the better player.
This is particularly true when it comes down to selecting the last 1, 2, 3 or 4 places in the team, and there are already three players designated as small forwards: Motlop, Menzel and Bartel.

Basically what I have is this team:

Mackie Taylor Ruggles
Guthrie Caddy Duncan
Motlop Kersten _____________
Menzel Hawkins Bartel
I: Stanley Blicavs ______ ________

and then I am looking to fill three places with players that are not rucks, key position players or defenders. (Guthrie can be the 7th defender if required).

I believe S Selwood, Menegola and Cockatoo are the three best players, and that means McCarthy, Lang, Cowan, Bews and Kolo miss out.

Or maybe a short version of my post could be the question: Why does it matter if Geelong selects a lot of "inside midfielders" ?
I think those kinds of players can be caught out by good outside pace if we are not balanced. I think our best 22s are simmilar.

Mackie Taylor Ruggles
Guthrie Caddy Duncan
Motlop Stanley Kersten
Menzel Hawkins Bartel
I: S.Selwood Blicavs Cockatoo McCarthy.

I suppose the contentious one is McCarthy, but I believe himself and Cockatoo as required to make up for the forward line pressure we lack from menzel and Hawkins, Kersten gets a nod for the same reason.

Id say if someone was to drop out for Menegola it would be either McCarthy of Kersten, if you wanted the extra mid rotation but i think what those two can create up forward is more than what menegola offers, and as far as needing menegola as a mid 2xSelwood, Danger & Caddy should be enough to get the job done.

If we wanted another inside mid, ball pig, why not run GHS, form has always been better than menegolas and has shown more than him at the top level to boot.

I think those kinds of players can be caught out by good outside pace if we are not balanced. I think our best 22s are simmilar.

Mackie Taylor Ruggles
Guthrie Caddy Duncan
Motlop Stanley Kersten
Menzel Hawkins Bartel
I: S.Selwood Blicavs Cockatoo McCarthy.

I suppose the contentious one is McCarthy, but I believe himself and Cockatoo as required to make up for the forward line pressure we lack from menzel and Hawkins, Kersten gets a nod for the same reason.

Id say if someone was to drop out for Menegola it would be either McCarthy of Kersten, if you wanted the extra mid rotation but i think what those two can create up forward is more than what menegola offers, and as far as needing menegola as a mid 2xSelwood, Danger & Caddy should be enough to get the job done.

If we wanted another inside mid, ball pig, why not run GHS, form has always been better than menegolas and has shown more than him at the top level to boot.
How is GHS form better than Menegolas? In the couple of vfl games they played together Menegola was clearly the better player. Menegola is averaging around 22 touches a game from his two afl games. Ghs played one and had only 9 possessions. Can you please explain how GHS has better form?

How is GHS form better than Menegolas? In the couple of vfl games they played together Menegola was clearly the better player. Menegola is averaging around 22 touches a game from his two afl games. Ghs played one and had only 9 possessions. Can you please explain how GHS has better form?
GHS has been better for longer in the vfl... Menegola has been given a chance at first opportunity whilst George continues to languish in no man's land despite consistent best on ground performances in the vfl, other than getting a lot of touches menegola hasn't achieved that.

GHS has been better for longer in the vfl... Menegola has been given a chance at first opportunity whilst George continues to languish in no man's land despite consistent best on ground performances in the vfl, other than getting a lot of touches menegola hasn't achieved that.
He has been longer not better. Menegola only played a handball of vfl games this year and already eclipsed Ghs best ever vfl game. Ghs has only once had more touches then menegola in his entire afl career despite menegola only playing two games with little midfield time. Ghs also had one good low 20 touch 3 goal game in 2014 and a good tagging game early on in his career on a very slow deck against Sydney. In his entire afl career Ghs has maybe played 3 games better then Menegolas first and all those games are a distant memory now.

I'd say they both got a call up at a similar time, the difference was that Menegola took his chance and GHS didn't and also go injured. If GHS has anything to be upset about it isn't Menegola, it'd be S.Selwood

upload_2016-8-5_19-45-36.png

I wasn't sure where the best place for this was, but it seemed to be appropriate in this discussion:

The afl site today released the following article:

The fifth best team for pressure differential has improved this season. If the Cats are switched on defensively they have the silk to convert turnovers into goals.
Backline: The Cats lead the AFL for pressure in the back 50 with 19.8 points. They work together to close space, force quick disposals and cause turnovers. Their highest ranked player is Andrew Mackie at No.41.
Midfield: The fifth best midfield for applying pressure, they have been inconsistent at times. When they are on however they are hard to play against. Mark Blicavs, a tackling machine and defensive runner, leads the way.
Forwards: Although ranked 14th, West Coast and Western Bulldogs are ranked lower, showing good teams can thrive without dominating in this area. Tom Hawkins is the sixth highest ranked forward for pressure and it's an area the Cats can improve.
Pressure King: Mark Blicavs (49.2 pressure points to be ranked 22)

As we team we obviously work well, but of interest from that is 3 players who have been maligned over this season are leading the way for us in their positions. Mackie is the highest ranked defender for pressure, Hawkins the highest ranked forward for pressure and Blicavs is not only leading the way in the midfield he is also the highest ranked Cats player overall.

Some people seem to want to question the value of the role that those guys are playing in our side and if all are deserving of a spot in the best 22 or if other players are ahead of them - to me the information above suggests that they are each deserving of a spot going into finals and that their value to the side is not just in the offensive aspects they provide, but more so in the defensive pressure they provide. As the first line of the article says - we are the 5th best team for pressure differential, and when we are switched on defensively we have the ability to convert turnovers into goals. Surely a big enough reason why those guys are locks in our 22.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-08-...t-at-your-club?camefrom=EMCL_1227548_47152563

I wasn't sure where the best place for this was, but it seemed to be appropriate in this discussion:

The afl site today released the following article:

The fifth best team for pressure differential has improved this season. If the Cats are switched on defensively they have the silk to convert turnovers into goals.
Backline: The Cats lead the AFL for pressure in the back 50 with 19.8 points. They work together to close space, force quick disposals and cause turnovers. Their highest ranked player is Andrew Mackie at No.41.
Midfield: The fifth best midfield for applying pressure, they have been inconsistent at times. When they are on however they are hard to play against. Mark Blicavs, a tackling machine and defensive runner, leads the way.
Forwards: Although ranked 14th, West Coast and Western Bulldogs are ranked lower, showing good teams can thrive without dominating in this area. Tom Hawkins is the sixth highest ranked forward for pressure and it's an area the Cats can improve.
Pressure King: Mark Blicavs (49.2 pressure points to be ranked 22)

As we team we obviously work well, but of interest from that is 3 players who have been maligned over this season are leading the way for us in their positions. Mackie is the highest ranked defender for pressure, Hawkins the highest ranked forward for pressure and Blicavs is not only leading the way in the midfield he is also the highest ranked Cats player overall.

Some people seem to want to question the value of the role that those guys are playing in our side and if all are deserving of a spot in the best 22 or if other players are ahead of them - to me the information above suggests that they are each deserving of a spot going into finals and that their value to the side is not just in the offensive aspects they provide, but more so in the defensive pressure they provide. As the first line of the article says - we are the 5th best team for pressure differential, and when we are switched on defensively we have the ability to convert turnovers into goals. Surely a big enough reason why those guys are locks in our 22.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-08-...t-at-your-club?camefrom=EMCL_1227548_47152563
Our inconsistency makes it hard to judge whether these players are going to perform well during finals or whether they're not up to it because at the end of the day, winning finals and grand finals is all that matters.

All you can do is trust that the MC make the right decisions and the whole team executes on game day.

It looks like the 27 players listed in my post from 5 August are the ones that the selectors think are the best (excluding Thurlow).

There is the 22 for the R22 match against Brisbane:

Backs: Jake Kolodjashnij, Tom Lonergan, Harry Taylor
Half-backs: Corey Enright, Lachie Henderson, Andrew Mackie
Centres: Cameron Guthrie, Joel Selwood, Josh Cowan
Half-forwards: Scott Selwood, Rhys Stanley, Mitch Duncan
Forwards: Steven Motlop, Tom Hawkins, Lincoln McCarthy
Followers: Zac Smith, Patrick Dangerfield, Mark Blicavs
Interchange: Shane Kersten, Darcy Lang, Sam Menegola, Tom Ruggles

Plus players missing as a result of injury or rest:
Menzel, Caddy, Bartel, Cockatoo

Plus:
Bews

Mackie Taylor Ruggles
Guthrie Caddy Duncan
Motlop Stanley S Selwood
Menzel Hawkins Bartel
I: Blicavs Kersten Menegola Cockatoo

The 25-man squad announced for the R20 game against Essendon probably indicates who the match committee think are the 27 best players (excluding Thurlow).

Backs: Andrew Mackie, Harry Taylor, Corey Enright
Half-backs: Jed Bews, Tom Lonergan, Lachie Henderson
Centres: Cameron Guthrie, Joel Selwood, Mark Blicavs
Half-forwards: Scott Selwood, Zac Smith, Steven Motlop
Forwards: Daniel Menzel, Tom Hawkins, Jimmy Bartel
Followers: Rhys Stanley, Patrick Dangerfield, Mitch Duncan
Interchange from: Josh Caddy, Nakia Cockatoo, Josh Cowan, Shane Kersten, Darcy Lang, Sam Menegola, Tom Ruggles

In: L.Henderson, S.Selwood, J.Caddy, S.Kersten, D.Lang
Out: L.McCarthy (adductor), J.Kolodjashnij (managed)

There is the 25-man squad, plus McCarthy and Kolo, for a total of 27.

Mackie Taylor Ruggles
Guthrie Caddy Duncan
Motlop Kersten S Selwood
Menzel Hawkins Bartel
I: Stanley Blicavs Menegola Cockatoo

Ruggles Lonergan Enright
Taylor Henderson Guthrie
Motlop Blicavs Duncan
Caddy Stanley Menegola
Menzel Hawkins McCarthy
Smith Selwood Dangerfield

This to me would be our best 18 right now.

Bews, Mackie, Kolodjashnij, Kersten, Cowan, Cockatoo and SSelwood all have claims to be in the 22 depending on match ups and structure, venue, weather..great depth and some bloody hard decisions ahead..

FB Henderson Lonergan Enright
HB Guthrie Taylor Mackie
C Duncan Dangerfield Cowan
HF Motlop Stanley Caddy
FF Menzel Hawkins McCarthy
Fol Smith Selwood S.Selwood
Int Blicavs Ruggles Menegola Bartel
EMG Bews Kolodjashnij Cockatoo
Mate, you left Cowan in there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Best 22 in 2016

Remove this Banner Ad