Catsmaninamerica

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 19, 2007
Cloud break
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Cricket, Surfing
Feel free to merge this if there is another similar thread boys - but i couldnt find one.

Now that we are done and dusted for 2015, the mind immediately goes to next year. The excitement is in the recruits in the form of injured players coming back to being regulars, the recruits that Steve Hocking alluded to yesterday, and the continued development of youngsters.

So this is my 22 I wanna see next year.

B: Enright, Lonergan, Mackie
HB: Thurlow, Taylor, Kolo
C: Dangerfield, Caddy, Duncan
HF: Guthrie, Clark, Menzel
F: Vardy, Hawkins, Motlop
R: Stanley, Blicavs, J Selwood
IB: Cockatoo, S Selwood, Bartel, Murdoch
EMG: Cowan, Smedts, Lang, Gregson

Wow. thats hard.... **** thats a good side...

Last edited:
Feel free to merge this if there is another similar thread boys - but i couldnt find one.

Now that we are done and dusted for 2015, the mind immediately goes to next year. The excitement is in the recruits in the form of injured players coming back to being regulars, the recruits that Steve Hocking alluded to yesterday, and the continued development of youngsters.

So this is my 22 I wanna see next year.

IB: Cockatoo, S Selwood, Bartel, Murdoch
EMG: Cowan, Smedts, Lang, Gregson

Wow. thats hard.... **** thats a good side...
Still a pretty old and slow backline which in my opinion was one of our flaws this season.

Props to you for puting it our there though

Still a pretty old and slow backline which in my opinion was one of our flaws this season.

Props to you for puting it our there though
Possibly Bews to play down there. That said Kolo is quick. Thurlow isnt slow either. But even in our premiership years, our bckline was never super quick. We had an elite midfield that didnt let our back 6 ever get under too much pressure. The midfield in this proposed lineup of Stanley/Vardy (that is a seriously exciting prospect!) Duncan, Caddy, Selwood, Selwood, Dangerfield, Motlop and Cockatoo - thats scary good. That will in turn allow our back 6 to have much more time and space.

Possibly Bews to play down there. That said Kolo is quick. Thurlow isnt slow either. But even in our premiership years, our bckline was never super quick. We had an elite midfield that didnt let our back 6 ever get under too much pressure. The midfield in this proposed lineup of Stanley/Vardy (that is a seriously exciting prospect!) Duncan, Caddy, Selwood, Selwood, Dangerfield, Motlop and Cockatoo - thats scary good. That will in turn allow our back 6 to have much more time and space.
Don't forget Blitz

B: Bews, Lonergan, Mackie
I: Cockatoo, Gregson, Lang, First rounder in this years draft

Same as, with a few changes. Dropped Bartel, and Enright to retire

Do you know what, if we have a full list next year to choose from, including getting players that have been linked to us, it's going to be bloody hard to predict our best 22.
- I think that back pocket spot is Enrights' until someone takes it from him.
- I know Guthrie has played mostly midfield this year but with other mids coming in I like him and Thurlow off the half-back flanks.
- Kolodjashnij has to play down back with Taylor and Henderson if he comes in so what do you do with Lonergan? I also like Walker as a backline option

This might be my backline;

B:Enright Kolodjashij Taylor
HB: Thurlow Henderson Guthrie

It's different, but I think it's looking towards the future

Have people forgotten that Henderson is pretty much guaranteed at the cattery next season? Or have a missed something in the past few days to say otherwise.

Also, our backline is a bit of a worry. Too old, Too slow (ha)...

Don't know for certain who we'll get and I'll assume that Enright is going to retire

FB Kolodjashnij Lonergan Bews
HB Thurlow Taylor Mackie
C Motlop Selwood Duncan
HF Murdoch Clark Gregson
FF Vardy Hawkins Menzel
Fol Stanley Caddy Guthrie
Int Blicavs Bartel Horlin-Smith Lang

Next in line: Smedts, Cockatoo, Walker, Cowan, Kersten

A lot of marking power up forward, plenty of speed on the outside and the flanks, a little shallow in the inside

Average age round 1 2016: 25 years 147 days

Dunno where to fit Henderson. Let's just make it easy and say he rotates with a different defender each week.
Let's just say our mystery mid? is umm ... Bennell.

Cunico Lonegan Mackie
Guthrie Taylor Thurlow
Motlop Blitz Duncan
Caddy Vardy Cockatoo
Lang Hawkins Menzel
Stanley Selwood Danger
IC: Murdoch Gregson Scooter Bennell?

Emerg: Bartel, Gore, GHS, Smedts.
Clark: inj/holiday/whatever.

Mmmm.... I love these type of
FB Kolodjashnij-Henderson-Enright*
HB Thurlow-Taylor-Guthrie
C Duncan-Blicavs-Motlop
HF Caddy-Vardy-Menzel
FF Lang-Hawkins-Gregson
FOL Stanley-Selwood-Dangerfield
INT Cockatoo-Cowan... Then take your pick... Murdoch-Bews-Walker-McCarthy-GHS-Smedts-Gore-Cunico-Jansen-Bates-Luxford.
As for Mitch Clark.... Jury still out for mine.... Not sure he will be in the league next year...
As for Enright* IMO should hang them up....
EMERG... Really think father time caught up with these boys.... Bartel-Lonergan-Mackie.
But I think they would(GFC) love another 300 gamer in Bartel... Needs 17 games... A BIG ask to carry a bloke that has lost 2 steps....

As for the 4 plus draft picks that we will have going.... I hope we don't pay overs for Hendo... I would hope we swap GHS straight up... Or even Smedts if they are silly enough to take him...

BUT one avenue I hope the club might pursue.... Is that of Matt Scharenburg. Best U-18 player going around 2 years ago... Bad foot cost him the No.1 mantle IMO... A ripping prospect... well actually... after a decent pre season would slot right in on a wing for us....
He is demanding 350-400k per year.... Bargain if you ask me... A risk?? Yes.... But.... opportunities like this don't come around very often....

Any how... This is my take on next year... and let's hope above all... Injuries leave the club alone for a few years.

Cheers Boys and GO CATTERS!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not sure exactly why people have Guthrie down in the back six still - I know he started there, but over the last two months he's proven to be the second-best midfielder on our list (along with Duncan), and a goalkicker to boot. I don't want him stuck on a back flank if he's as good as he's shown to be since roughly the Port Adelaide game.

I'm not sure exactly why people have Guthrie down in the back six still - I know he started there, but over the last two months he's proven to be the second-best midfielder on our list (along with Duncan), and a goalkicker to boot. I don't want him stuck on a back flank if he's as good as he's shown to be since roughly the Port Adelaide game.
Just because you start on a halfback flank doesn't mean you have to stay glued to the backline. He'd be part of the midfield rotation but when you've got and potentially have Selwood x 2, Dangerfield, Duncan, Caddy, Motlop, you have to start somewhere. I like him on a halfback flank for this reason, plus his speed off the back of the square and also if he has to play back then he has that ability.

I hear you. He has grown even more this year playing on-ball. But I wouldn't mind seeing Guthrie follow Enright's career path. Play midfield early days, but then move to the half-back line and become an absolute star of the competition. Guthrie now has the experience to go back to the backline and really become a key playmaker (read the play, set up attacks [he's quicker than Boris too]). However, the club may view a fully fit Cowan for this role.

By the way, we need a new one of these:

HB: Thurlow, Henderson, Kolo
HF: Guthrie, Taylor, Stanley
F: Menzel, Hawkins, Motlop
R: 'no 1 ruckman' , Blicavs, J Selwood
IB: Cockatoo, Bews, Bartel, Vardy
EMG: (no particular order) Cowan, Smedts, S Selwood, GHS, Lang, Gregson, Walker, Murdoch + National Draft 9th pick.

Given that there has been barely a mention of him by the club for months I think it's possible that Clarke will not play next season.

I would like us to recruit a no. 1 ruckman such as Max Gawn, Kreuzer or Leuey.

I'm going to chuck a spanner in the works and throw Harry up to CHF.

HB: Thurlow, Henderson, Kolo
HF: Guthrie, Taylor, Stanley
F: Menzel, Hawkins, Motlop
R: 'no 1 ruckman' , Blicavs, J Selwood
IB: Cockatoo, Bews, Bartel, Vardy
EMG: (no particular order) Cowan, Smedts, S Selwood, GHS, Lang, Gregson, Walker, Murdoch + National Draft 9th pick.

Given that there has been barely a mention of him by the club for months I think it's possible that Clarke will not play next season.

I would like us to recruit a no. 1 ruckman such as Max Gawn, Kreuzer or Leuey.

I'm going to chuck a spanner in the works and throw Harry up to CHF.

I think that move worked exactly once against GWS.

I think that move worked exactly once against GWS.

He's our best contested mark and a great kick. Just thinking if we recruit Henders then Harry could fix our CHF issues. The opposition would have to put a good defender on him.

Obviously just conjecture at this stage as we don't know what will happen with Clark, Henderson or unknown recruits.

I can't see us losing a game next year.

I think we need more A graders before that were to happen.
Don't get me wrong, Motlop and Duncan are terrific talents but they aren't A graders just yet. On the verge of becoming All Australian material, as too Menzel if his body holds up but as it stands, in my view, Dangerfield (depending if he's signed), J. Selwood, Hawkins and Taylor are the only four players we can truly count on to be in the discussion of top 50 players in the entire competition.

I look at the teams playing finals this year and they have upwards of six A grade players. Midfield full of players who continually gather 24+ disposals every single week. It is never one or two players doing the bulk of the workload.

Doggies have Macrae, Dahlhaus, Bontempelli, Liberatore and Picken.
Freo have Fyfe, Mundy, Barlow, Hill, Neale
Richmond have Martin, Cotchin, Deledio, Edwards, Ellis
Sydney have Kennedy, Parker, Mitchell, McVeigh, Jack
North have Cunnington, Swallow, Ziebell, Dal Santo

Cats will have Selwood & Dangerfield, and then a host of players yet to really prove themselves. Blokes who play brilliant one week but average the next. There is never any consistency like we see from the Dogs young brigade who deliver against the top sides and the weaker sides.
This is why we may yet still be a couple of years away from being in a position where we only drop 3 or 4 games for the year.

Don't get me wrong, Motlop and Duncan are terrific talents but they aren't A graders just yet. On the verge of becoming All Australian material, as too Menzel if his body holds up but as it stands, in my view, Dangerfield (depending if he's signed), J. Selwood, Hawkins and Taylor are the only four players we can truly count on to be in the discussion of top 50 players in the entire competition.

I look at the teams playing finals this year and they have upwards of six A grade players. Midfield full of players who continually gather 24+ disposals every single week. It is never one or two players doing the bulk of the workload.

Cats will have Selwood & Dangerfield, and then a host of players yet to really prove themselves. Blokes who play brilliant one week but average the next. There is never any consistency like we see from the Dogs young brigade who deliver against the top sides and the weaker sides.
This is why we may yet still be a couple of years away from being in a position where we only drop 3 or 4 games for the year.

I was kidding. :D

We all do this every year. Build our team up coming into the next season. (I'm not exlcuding myself lol)

I hear you. He has grown even more this year playing on-ball. But I wouldn't mind seeing Guthrie follow Enright's career path. Play midfield early days, but then move to the half-back line and become an absolute star of the competition. Guthrie now has the experience to go back to the backline and really become a key playmaker (read the play, set up attacks [he's quicker than Boris too]). However, the club may view a fully fit Cowan for this role.

By the way, we need a new one of these:

Brilliant post

What you got to remember though Bobby is that Adding 2 a graders (Danger and a fit and year older / another preseason into him ) Duncan plus S Selwood, that drags the rest up a notch. Adding Danger free's J Selwood. That makes him better. That in turn frees Caddy and makes him better. Blitz comes back another year better. His improvement has been exponential year by year. I wouldnt be surprised to see multiple AA's next year from J Selwood, Dangerfield, Blicavs and Duncan and Motlop.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back