Best 22 in 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

I think that Scott ad Vardy are both on record as saying Vardy is a ruckman. I think going forward - particularly now the sub is gone - you will see Stanley and vary split the ruck with the non ruckman playing forwArd. Clark will play as a genuine me forward along with hawk. And I don't actually think well recruit a ruckman - I think they'll back Vardy and Stanley in, and maybe sign Dawson Simpson on a 1 year deal - and just smash a million. Km's into him over summer. I know he did nothing this year - but he hasn't done a preseason in years. He's been injured and injured and injured. But finally he's played a string of games and finished the season not injured. Be a shame to not let him actually have a run at a preseason on the back of 10 games now he's not Injured. He'll be behind Stanley and Vardy, but not bad insurance if he can get through preseason.

The reality is that recruiting a ruckman sends a signal that they don't believe Vardy, Stanley and Clark will play. When in actual fact on 2015 forms Stanley is gonna be a jet in the ruck, addy has shown HEAPA

If we were ever going to gamble on our ruck setup next year would be the one to do so. If Stanley, Vardy and co don't work out next year then we bring in a ruck in the next season trade/FA period.
A big factor in whether we bring in a Ruck is the current fitness of Stanley, if he is going to be right for day 1 of the pre-season then I don't think we'll bring someone in.

My point is just that any predictions at this point may become completely redundant in about two months' time. I would suggest that speculating about what the best 22 may look like next year may be a more worthwhile exercise once we have an idea of what the list will look like. Before trade period, that best 22 could be whatever your wildest fantasies are because there's no grounding in reality. Might as well just put every free agent and player looking for a trade in there.
Agree here. Hence why I'm also holding off from our ladder prediction thread as well. No way of knowing where we are likely to end up until trade period is finished and that goes for best 22 as well. Who knows we may recruit a player who isn't publicly on our radar or may trade a player many thought we'd keep. Too early to tell IMO.

My point is just that any predictions at this point may become completely redundant in about two months' time. I would suggest that speculating about what the best 22 may look like next year may be a more worthwhile exercise once we have an idea of what the list will look like. Before trade period, that best 22 could be whatever your wildest fantasies are because there's no grounding in reality. Might as well just put every free agent and player looking for a trade in there.

How about since we don't have finals to look forward to this year we just make our predictions based on players we are more than likely to get ?

If we don't get those players we just make a knew best 22.

Simple really .

Fb. Thurlow. Henderson. Kolo
Hb. Enright. Taylor. Mackie
C. Guthrie. Selwood. Duncan
HF. Motlop. Clark. Bartel
FF. menzel. Hawkins. Gregson
Fol. Stanley. Danger. Blitz
Int. vardy. Caddy. Sselwood. Lang.

Emerg. Cockatoo. Lonergan. Murdoch

Fb. Thurlow. Henderson. Kolo
Hb. Enright. Taylor. Mackie
C. Guthrie. Selwood. Duncan
HF. Motlop. Clark. Bartel
FF. menzel. Hawkins. Gregson
Fol. Stanley. Danger. Blitz
Int. vardy. Caddy. Sselwood. Lang.

Emerg. Cockatoo. Lonergan. Murdoch

Nice side but I think another pre season into cockatoo and he plays every week.
He is the fastest on the list and his strength in a contest tackling or breaking a tackle is already freakish.
I also think cowan will play if fit. Played 1 and 1/4 games this year and he looks a player.
Enright bartel and mackie will be the 3 to finish up and won't be surprised if a couple are missing games towards the end of the year

He is the fastest on the list and his strength in a contest tackling or breaking a tackle is already freakish.
I also think cowan will play if fit. Played 1 and 1/4 games this year and he looks a player.
Enright bartel and mackie will be the 3 to finish up and won't be surprised if a couple are missing games towards the end of the year

Yeh was hard to find someone to take out for the ****. Have no doubt he will be ingrained in the 22 by the end of the year.

Just needs to work on his awareness, decision making and keeping his passes low and sharp (instead of loopy and high).

Langs got to be in the starting line up - hopefully Gregson too

I wouldnt mind Thurlow being tried as a midfielder

Scott Selwood played for East Perth yesterday - coming off a 2 year chronic ankle problem - why on earth would you want him at Geelong- so Bartel becomes the 2nd slowest player on Geelongs list

Best extended squad of 25!

tall backs: Lonergan, Taylor, Henderson (f), Kolodjashnij.
backs: Mackie, Thurlow, Bews.
rucks: Stanley, Vardy (f).
mids: Dangerfield, J.Selwood, Motlop, Duncan, Guthrie, Caddy, Blicavs (r), S.Selwood, Cockatoo, Gregson, Murdoch, Lang.
tall forwards: Hawkins, Clark
forwards: Menzel, Bartel (b).

I assume that Enright retires.

And Lonergan?

And Lonergan?

Yes Lonergan only has the one year left in him. It's going to be hard to juggle lonergan Henderson Taylor kolo as the taller defenders next year but it will allow them to manage them a lot better. Some sides you will get away with playing them all like Sydney but Hawks no chance.

If we do not get PD,SS,LH:

FB Kolodjashnij Lonergan Bews
HB Thurlow Taylor Mackie
C Motlop Selwood Duncan
HF Cockatoo Clark Gregson
FF Vardy Hawkins Menzel
Fol Stanley Caddy Guthrie
Int Blicavs Bartel Cowan Lang

Next in line: Smedts, Horlin-Smith, Walker, Murdoch, Kersten

Which, in it's own right, is not a bad looking team (with extra development etc).

If we do get PD, SS, LH (not worrying about a ruckman here).

FB Kolodjashnij Lonergan Guthrie
HB Thurlow Taylor Mackie
C Motlop Selwood Duncan
HF Cockatoo Clark Caddy
FF Vardy Hawkins Menzel
Fol Stanley Dangerfield S.Selwood
Int Blicavs Bartel Cowan Henderson

Next in line: Smedts, Horlin-Smith, Walker, Murdoch, Kersten, Bews, Lang, Gregson

Might be a bit top heavy ... but all of a sudden that team looks very good on paper.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes Lonergan only has the one year left in him. It's going to be hard to juggle lonergan Henderson Taylor kolo as the taller defenders next year but it will allow them to manage them a lot better. Some sides you will get away with playing them all like Sydney but Hawks no chance.

I think it would allow for Lonergan and Mackie to be rested now and again and for Henderson and maybe Delaney to develop in the Geelong way without the pressure of performing first up so to speak. Could work out very well.

With the likely inclusions -

FB - Enright loneregan kolo
HB - hendo taylor thurlow
C - Guthrie Caddy Duncan
HF - motlop Clark Gregson
FF - Menzel Hawkins Bartel
R- Stanley selwood danger

I/C - blicavs, mackie, cocky, Vardy,

Emg squad - scooter, Lang, Cowan, Murdoch, gore, GHS, bews etc..

With Enright, bartel, mackie & loneregan to be rested around 4 games of the year each

I have no bloody idea what our best 22 will be but it sure is fun reading everyone else's predictions. Very excited about next year :).

Just to clarify: I'm not expecting a premiership next year, just an exciting year and hopefully getting games in to players who need them. If we see a Menzel, Vardy or Cowan (or Dangerfield) roast thread next year we'll know we are in a good spot :p

Last edited:
All of these lineups have Kolo in them - deservedly so , he's a beauty
It was great to see him getting around the vets in the last quarter in the various celebrations , he looked genuinely happy for them
Sincerely hope his signature is about to happen , with Mots and Blitz committed Kolo would be the icing on the cake
With Henderson allegedly coming I hope the Club has sat down with Kolo and emphasised that he is a required player and starter in the 22 for 2016

All of these lineups have Kolo in them - deservedly so , he's a beauty
It was great to see him getting around the vets in the last quarter in the various celebrations , he looked genuinely happy for them
Sincerely hope his signature is about to happen , with Mots and Blitz committed Kolo would be the icing on the cake
With Henderson allegedly coming I hope the Club has sat down with Kolo and emphasised that he is a required player and starter in the 22 for 2016
You sound as anxious as I am about Kolo; a MUST sign up before anyone else, I would have thought

You sound as anxious as I am about Kolo; a MUST sign up before anyone else, I would have thought

Couldn't agree more Vdubs
Has fitted in seamlessly and looks very versatile - playing on Jenkins and Betts for instance in the same game.
Very composed , good skills and very athletic - lot to like.

I can't see us playing Vardy, Stanley and Clark all in the same side next year. Not with Henderson and Blitz in the side as well. Along with the other talls, we'd be way too top heavy imo

Last edited:

Best 22 in 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Back