BMaynard MooreQuaynor
HB J.DaicosFramptonHowe
CSidebottomCrispHoskin-Elliott
HF SchultzMcStayDe Goey
F ElliottMihocekHill
RUCCameronN.DaicosPerryman
INTERPendleburyMcCreeryCox
Mitchell Lipinski

WE SAY: Hard to see many of the kids who got a chance in 2024 featuring regularly if Collingwood isn’t hit by the injury curse again. Tom Mitchell is nearing the end but still warrants a place in the best 23 and Billy Frampton needs to play to support Darcy Moore in defence. Might lose Joe Richards to Port Adelaide, but the Magpies have an abundance of small forwards anyway. Harry Perryman will join as a free agent on a big-money deal and with the promise of playing as a full-time midfielder. That should allow Jordan De Goey to spend more time forward and take pressure off his body after he struggled with injuries in 2024. The move to send Josh Daicos to halfback worked and with John Noble heading to Gold Coast, it’s likely to become full-time unless Craig Macrae uses Scott Pendlebury or Steele Sidebottom there.

Maynard - Moore - Quaynor
Howe - Young - Houston
J.Daicos - Crisp - Sidebottom
Cameron - N.Daicos - Perryman
Elliott - Mihocek - DeGoey
Hill - McStay - Schultz

Pendlebury - WHE - Mitchell - McCreery - Cox

IQ, Recruit or Dean, Howe
Crisp, Moore, Maynard
McCreery, Perry, Jaicous
Elliot, Mihocek, Hill
Shultz, McStay, Richards or Recruit
Cameron, Naicous, DG

Pendles, Sidebottom, WHE, Cox Michell

Linpinski, Tiajth, Allan

IQ Dean Jiath
Maynard Moore Howe
J Daicos Crisp Perryman
Elliot Miochek McCreery
Hill McStay Lipinski
Cameron N Daicos Degooey
Pendles Allen Cox DeMattia
Sub Parker

Did we trade out Schultz? WHE is also left out.

Any team that includes De Mattia tells me that we have gone backwards or players left out.

FB: Maynard | Frampton or Recuit | Howe

HB: Quaynor | Moore | Parker*

C: J. Daicos | Pendlebury | Lipinski

HF: De Goey | Mihocek | Hill

FF: Elliot | McStay | Schultz

R: Cameron | N. Daicos | Mitchell

Int: Crisp | Perryman | Sidebottom | McCreery | Hoskin-Elliot

*Presuming Noble deal gets done

On SM-A146P using BigFooty.com mobile app

Here we go...

Certainly the dynamics will change if Houston / Lord becomes a reality. If our game plan is built for speed, Frampton, Mihocek and McStay will need to do some rucking and down the line marking. This would mean Cox's role is under treat....

BMaynardMooreQuaynor
HB J.DaicosFramptonHowe
C
Perryman
CrispHoskin-Elliott
HF SchultzMcStayDe Goey
F ElliottMihocekHill
RUCCameronN.DaicosSidebottom
INTERPendleburyMcCreeryAllan
MitchellLipinski

No risks taken in the Herald Sun's best 23. It's probably our clear best 23 at this point in time. Trade period and pre-season may shift selections ahead of round one

I don't reckon we'll have a sub in 2025. Most coaches want it gone, if not all.

B: Brayden Maynard - Billy Frampton - Jeremy Howe
HB: Will Hoskin-Elliott - Darcy Moore - Isaac Quaynor
C: Jack Crisp - Nick Daicos - Josh Daicos
HF: Beau McCreery - Brody Mihocek - Bobby Hill
F: Jamie Elliott - Dan McStay - Lachie Schultz
R: Darcy Cameron - Jordan De Goey - Harry Perryman
I: Scott Pendlebury - Tom Mitchell - Mason Cox - Patrick Lipinski - Steele Sidebottom

Needs:
  • I'm one of the biggest advocates for Dan Houston and he's priority 1. It's been said plenty of times but it would be like having a second Nick Daicos. He'd be our second best player and immediately get us back to an elite scoring team from defence, which we were in 2023.
  • it's unlikely we find a clear upgrade on Frampton at this stage, I'd at least like to add some competition to make him and Dean work harder to earn games. Any one of Tomlinson, Lewis Young or James Blanck would be handy.
  • list spots will be tight. If either or neither of the above works out, I'd like to add a key forward that can chop out ruck. Ollie Lord would be a cost-friendly trade for the future, and Sam Day would be a quick, cheap pick-up for the now. McStay and Mihocek have only played together 12 times, Kreuger's fitness is less reliable (if he's even listed next year) and I wouldn't like to see Johnson or McInnes have to shoulder a key forward role again.

B: Howe - Dean/Frampton - Maynard
HB: Quaynor - Moore - Parker
C: J Daicos - J De Goey - H Perryman
HF: McCreery - McStay - Lipinski
F: Hill - Mihocek - Schultz
R: Cameron - Crisp - N Daicos
Int: Cox - Elliott - Pendlebury - Allan - WHE/Sidebottom/Mitchell

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You would love an Allan, Parker, or, one of young ones to force themselves into that 21. Fingers crossed for Allan, as I think the style he plays, or, was on show against Melb in the final round, is a style which is a difference maker.

Expect WHE and Cox will be there.

Not too shabby, even without Houston.

Injury aside, I don't expect any significant a drop off. While just a guess, Tom Mitchell possibly they most doubtful to fully recover and get back to near his best.

You would love an Allan, Parker, or, one of young ones to force themselves into that 21. Fingers crossed for Allan, as I think the style he plays, or, was on show against Melb in the final round, is a style which is a difference maker.

Expect WHE and Cox will be there.

Not too shabby, even without Houston.

Injury aside, I don't expect any significant a drop off. While just a guess, Tom Mitchell possibly they most doubtful to fully recover and get back to near his best.
Yeah, I think if we have a clean bill of health Mitchell might struggle as with another preseason Nick Daicos will be the best hitout target in the league - if he's not already. If Mitchell isn't our first possession guy, what's his role.

Yeah, I think if we have a clean bill of health Mitchell might struggle as with another preseason Nick Daicos will be the best hitout target in the league - if he's not already. If Mitchell isn't our first possession guy, what's his role.
Agree, Mitchell’s only role is first possession guy - however we need to take the pressure off Daicous, so he has a full tank for last quarters. I guess I assumed there is still a role for Mitchell if he can get back close to his best, even if Daicous becomes the mid beast.

Agree, Mitchell’s only role is first possession guy - however we need to take the pressure off Daicous, so he has a full tank for last quarters. I guess I assumed there is still a role for Mitchell if he can get back close to his best, even if Daicous becomes the mid beast.
I'm hoping Jordy is back fully fit and he and Nick rotate forward and mid so Nick doesn't get worn down - we'll also have Pendles, Crisp, Perryman to rotate through there and Sidey was awesome as a runwith at the end of the year. If they're all fit, Mitchell not playing a flank as well as the others do could be an issue for him.

B: Maynard Tomlinson Quaynor
HB: Houston Moore Crisp
C: J.Daicos N.Daicos Sidebottom
R: Cameron Mitchell Perryman
HF: Schultz Mihocek DeGoey
F: Hill McStay Elliott

Int: Pendlebury WHE McCreery Howe

Remove this Banner Ad

Best 23 in 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back