Best and/or worst games you've gone to?

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 16, 2007
9th
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Dimma's wife
Just wondering what the worst or best game you have ever gone to see live is.

For me, I have a few snippets of memories from Richmond v Essendon at the G
Top of the old Ponsford stand with my old man, I was sick as a dog and we werent playing well so my mum had told jokes all morning of how she barracks for the bombers, I of course told her how much we were going to win by.

Spent the whole day sitting in the rain, wind and hail watching the bombers break records against the tigers who looked like they were scared of getting rained on.

Anothjer game was the first game I ever saw at the Docklands stadium in 2000 vs Sydney, wont go too much into it but MAtt Rogers was set to seal the game 35 metres out dead in front and didnt make the distance, swans went on to kick a goal or a point or something and they won by a point

Best would have to be 2001 at the MCG, Richmond v Brisbane.
The year we made the top 4 and the Lions put a trophy in the cabinet which was to be the first of three in a row.
We went expecting to see a close game but me my cousin (blues fan but tiger for the day) and my dad weren't confident on winning but were keen to see how we went. We played a fantastic game and had the lions chasing their tails, we won with a strong 116 - 94

Sadly I havnt been to many games since

Best game ever (not just AFL)...

In the SANFL, Port Adelaide v WWT Eagles 94 GF.
We'd beaten the Eagles by 12 goals in Round 22, then they beat us by 12 goals in the second semi.
Eagles led 6 goals to zip late in the 1st quarter, should have been all over red rover.
Port slowly edged back into the contest, got to within 12 points by 3qtr time, then kicked 9 goals to 1 in the last quarter to win by 37 points.

I have 2 favourites and 2 least favourites but all for different reasons

and suprisingly my favourite games are actually the two not involving my own club

my favourite of all

Sydney_vs_Kangaroos_Rd_19_2004
Sydney---5.2.32--9.3.57--16.4.100-18.4.112
Kangaroos-2.4.16-3.10.28-8.12.60--17.16.118

loved the huge comeback. Went for the Kangas on the day because I actually had a kangaroos guersey because I played for a team who wore the blue and white stripes. And when the kangas left the field Adam Simpson jumped up and gave me a high 5 :D

Sydney_vs_West_Coast_Rd_1_2007
Sydney-----3.4.22-3.8.36--6.11.47-10.13.73
West Coast-6.0.36-10.2.62-10.6.66-11.8.74

the atmosphere was electriying and it was close all day. Oh, and I was going for the draw, and when a Swan rushed a behind in the last (about midway). I said to my dad. That was an important point (turned out correst)

now worst

Sydney_vs_Adelaide_Rd_15_2004
Sydney--2.1.13-7.5.47-8.8.56-8.10.58
Adelaide-2.2.14-3.5.23-3.6.24-6.9.45

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Adelaide_vs_Fremantle_Rd_15_2009
Adeladie--5.4.34-10.9.69-12.14.86-19.16.130
Fremantle-0.1.1--0.1.1---1.5.11---1.7.13

it may of been an absolute belting and humerous with the performance showed by Freo. But the atmosphere was shit. Adelaide wasnt that entertaining by getting a move on, it was just constant scoring every few minutes.

Sydney_vs_West_Coast_Rd_1_2007
Sydney-----3.4.22-3.8.36--6.11.47-10.13.73
West Coast-6.0.36-10.2.62-10.6.66-11.8.74

the atmosphere was electriying and it was close all day. Oh, and I was going for the draw, and when a Swan rushed a behind in the last (about midway). I said to my dad. That was an important point (turned out correst)

Come to think of it, If I were including games id seen on tv then the 2006 grand final has been my all time favourite

Adelaide_vs_Fremantle_Rd_15_2009
Adeladie--5.4.34-10.9.69-12.14.86-19.16.130
Fremantle-0.1.1--0.1.1---1.5.11---1.7.13

it may of been an absolute belting and humerous with the performance showed by Freo. But the atmosphere was shit. Adelaide wasnt that entertaining by getting a move on, it was just constant scoring every few minutes.

Agree. Geelong's record of 239 points from 1992 could have been broken last Saturday if only the Crows' could be arsed.

Come to think of it, If I were including games id seen on tv then the 2006 grand final has been my all time favourite
If I included games I had seen on TV I would of added. Adelaide vs Essendon this year at Etihad Stadium, and Adelaide vs Bulldogs at Telstra Dome last year (even though it was a loss, it went down to the wire with Bock missing a set shot on the siren)

Best:
Essendons comback from 69 points down in 2001

Essendon 2.3 12.4 19.8 27.9 (171)
Kangaroos 12.1 16.1 22.4 25.9 (159)

GOALS:
Essendon: M.Lloyd 9, J.Johnson 4, B.Caracella 3, J.Hird 2, G.Moorcroft 2, C.McGrath 2, D.Jacobs, A.Ramanauskas, M.Bolton, C.Heffernan, M.Johnson

Kangaroos: C.McKernan 5, S.Rocca 4, B.Harvey 3, J.Sinclair 3, B.Pickett 3, S.Grant 2, B.Rawlings 2, M.Burton, D.Teague, S.Watt

Crowd: 51,878

Thought about leaving at start of the second but my brother, old man and I stayed and watched possibly the greatest match ever.

Best games: 1996-2007 GF's. Can't beat GF day even if it is a blowout. 2005 was the best for obvious reasons. H & A would be the Essendon v West Coast game when Hird hugged the fan.

Worst games: Richmond vs Adelaide at the dome a couple of years ago. The one where Richmond took cheap kicks in the backline to a new level.
Can't think of any more, I'm usually pretty tolerant when watching football, so unless it is an absolute shocker I can sit through it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The best games I've been to:

Saturday, September 6, 2008 - AFL Elimination Final - Collingwood defeat Adelaide by 31 points at Football Park

I'd just ended a long-term relationship a couple of weeks before, so I was a bit down leading up to this. To be honest, I wasn't too confident that we'd win this one, because we'd just lost to Freo by 4 goals the week before, and were fielding a very young side in comparison to Adelaide (on average almost 2 years younger). After being a couple of goals down at half time, and not really playing too impressively, it was amazing to see how shellshocked the Crows fans around me were at our 7 goal 3rd quarter and eventual victory. The excitement in my dad's voice on the phone just after the game (he was watching at home) was great to hear :D

Saturday, May 10, 2003 - AFL Round 7 - Collingwood defeat Adelaide by 5 points at Football Park

Chris Tarrant kicks the winning goal after the siren :thumbsu:

Friday, April 25, 1997 - SANFL Round 5 - Norwood defeat Port Adelaide by 122 points at Adelaide Oval

I was sitting right behind the goals at the Cathedral End, and just remember the ball being sent over my head so many times by Norwood players :D

Saturday, October 4, 1997 - SANFL Grand Final - Norwood defeat Port Adelaide by 73 points at Football Park

Andrew Jarman won the Magarey Medal, Jim West was the league's leading goalkicker, and the Redlegs won the Premiership. The only thing that could have made 1997 sweeter for Norwood was if champion Captain Garry McIntosh didn't miss the GF through suspension.

The worst games I've been to:

Saturday, October 2, 1999 - SANFL Grand Final - Port Adelaide defeat Norwood by 8 points at Football Park

Any Grand Final loss for your team is bad, especially against a fierce rival like Port.

Friday, October 15, 1999 - International Rules Series Second Test - Australia draw with Ireland 52 all at Football Park

For some reason, they didn't offer proper ticketing for this one - seating was on a first come, first served basis. That's alright for local footy, as there's usually plenty of room to go around. But this was a fairly new and novel concept to most, and was in the days before Footy Park expanded their seating, meaning that the ground's seating capacity was exceded. By the time we got there through the West Lakes Boulevard traffic, we ended up having to stand in a packed terrace the whole time. And me being a 5'7" 11 year old meant not getting much of a decent view of an ultimately anti-climactic draw that saw Australia lose the series.

Friday, May 24, 2002 - AFL Round 9 - Port Adelaide defeat Collingwood by 5 points at Football Park

We got off to a really bad start, and eventually caught up in the second half, but overall it was a really disappointing game to go to. Despite the close margin in the end, it wasn't that close a game, and wasn't very exciting to watch at all. Considering this was when Port were in the midst of their few years of H&A dominance, it's probably not that bad in heinsight. But we'd just beaten the reigning Premiers Brisbane by 3 points the week before, and were second on the ladder (fell to 5th after the loss), so the expectations and excitement about the Pies being on the rise combined with the bad start and the notoriously cold Footy Park wind coming off the lake made it a very average night at the footy.

Saturday, August 17, 1996 - AFL Round 20 - North Melbourne defeat Adelaide at Football Park by 6 points at Football Park

This was the first AFL game I went to. While that aspect was exciting, it was cold and wet, and supporting my local Crows (I converted to the Pies in 1997, just in time to miss two Premierships :rolleyes:), it was another tough loss in what ended up being a dismal season (after such promise early in the year). Modra had kicked 8 goals the week before, so I was hoping to see my favourite player (and the man I'd gotten a signed photo with just weeks before) work his trademark magic, but Mick Martyn held him at bay with just 2 goals.

Coll v Freo Rd 22 last year. Worst game of football imaginable. Not because we lost, but the skill errors from both sides was embarassing.

Essendon Top 6: (No Order)

V Kangaroos Rd 16 2001
V Melbourne GF 2000
V West Coast Rd 3 2004
V Collingwood Rd 5 2009
V Kangaroos QF 2000
V Western Bulldogs Rd 15 2001 (Redemption for Rd 21 2000 and Gary Moorcroft and his best)

Essendon Worst 5: (No Order)

V Adelaide Rd 10 2006 (got beaten by 130 points)
V St.Kilda Rd 22 2008 (got beaten by 108 points)
V Brisbane GF 2001 (obvious)
V Carlton Rd 3 2007 (led by 8 goals and lost)
V Anytime we play Carlton/Collingwood and we lose.

All Time Best Games: (think you get the jist of it that it is in no order)

Sydney V Kangaroos 2004 (Glenn Archer's 250th)

Collingwood v Brisbane in 2002 or 2003 i think (Collingwood were underdogs at the dome and got up, intensity was at it's highest)

St.Kilda V Geelong Rd 14 2009. (1 v 2)

Sydney V Geelong Semi Final 2005. (Nick Davis)

West Coast V Collingwood SF 2007 (Extra Time)

Everyone i know who saw the Saints/Geelong game a cpl of weeks ago reckoned it was a cracker atmosphere to match the game. Tisnt often that people who dont go for either club rave this much. Was brilliant on the box but being there would've been fantastic.

Lucky enough to be in Adelaide at the time and saw the Port/Aints Prelim in 04...really got into it when the crowd invaded for Gehrig's 100th and the game just got better and better.

Has to be the last qtr of both the 05 and 06 grand finals though...and the 05 QF Syd v Geelong.

Best - probably 2007 Prelim Geelong v Collingwood - was just a great game. Pies threw everything at the Cats, who withstood the challenge.

Even though we lost, we gained respect. Unlike Port the week after....

Close second would be the 1990 QF draw between Collingwood and WCE at Waverley. I've never felt like a grandstand was going to collapse before when Daicos kicked that famous "impossible" goal late in the last quarter...

Agree. Geelong's record of 239 points from 1992 could have been broken last Saturday if only the Crows' could be arsed.

But, jeez they fell 110 points short. :rolleyes: That'd be some serious acceleration and a distinct lack of urgency.

Best game was the 1986 State Of Origin WA vs Victoria, or 2003 Rd 22 Weest Coast vs Freo.
Worst game was Freo vs Richmond 2008.

Best:
Sydney (85) def. West Coast (84) Qualiflying final 06 @ Subi
West Coast (69) def. Sydney (65) Qualifying final 05 @ Subi

The Derbies are always great aswell the 1st one in 06 where the dockers won by 5 points was awsome, great atmosphere.

Best: 2006 GF - WCE v Syd
It was just pulsating stuff. Such a frenetic game, so many couragous performances from both sides, so much drama... I couldn't breathe in the last 5 minutes! I've never experienced anything like the anxiety in those last five minutes nor the ecstacy and release at the moment the siren went off!

Also 2007 Rd 1 - WCE v Syd
Again, massive amount of build up, the Ben Cousins suspension the week earlier, Cox, Embley out, the history between the teams. A bloody heartstopper and again such a sweet victory considering the circumstances.

Worst - 2005 GF WCE v Syd
Heartbreaking. Was soooo close. Had waited sooo long to get to a Grand Final with the Eagles in it. We had the better team on paper and thought we should've won it. Not knowing when the next time we'd get a shot would be. Heartbreaking.

Also, 2001 Rd 20 - Rich v WCE
Eagles got smashed by 65 points that day. We were woeful. Pretty sure this was the game that sealed the Tigers in the top eight that year and have to say was very disappointed with the level of enthusiasm shown by the Tiger supporters. The atmosphere at the ground was crap.

u know, i reckon when you're at a game, and when your team is playing - if it's close you have no idea at all whether it's a good game.

i know i've seen some close eagles games - i saw two west coast vs hawthorn games in launceston that were close, and i saw two west coast vs st kilda games a couple of years ago that were close (and the eagles won).

i think they were good games, and they definitely stick out in my memory... but i don't actually know whether they're considered good games or not.

worst games are easy for me... my brother, a bulldogs supporter, is awful to watch footy with. at launceston i watched bulldogs vs st kilds in the deadset pissing rain all day. the dogs kicked one goal in the first 3 quarters... when they kicked their third, my brother (about 12 at the time i reckon) started waving his flag madly and whipped me right in the eye. (incidentally, flags should be banned from the footy!)

the other shocker was the end of 2007, round 21, watching hawthorn pummel the dogs to the shizenhousen. we'd actually paid money for what we thought would be good seats... stared into the sun all day (stupid architects!!!), and got very crabby. the famous richmond vs essendon game that followed was pretty good though.

i also watched north vs port at telstra dome in 2006 (i think... maybe 2005?) the worst, most boring, hopelessly pathetic game i've ever been to. whilst there are reasons other than what happened on the field for my other nominations, this one was just a shit game of footy.

(i'll never watch another live north game again, because they backed it up in 2007 with an awful game against carlton that i had the misfortune of being at.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Best and/or worst games you've gone to?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back